X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ktaillon
    • Jun 2004

Composite and S-Video WHY???

Why do the manufactures still bother putting all those unused composite and S-video connectors on the back of the receivers and preamps? I can't remember when I had to use anything less than component.

My current setup only uses digital video: cable box, dvd player and PC.

I can see some of the entry level receivers needing those inputs but what a waste on the upper end receivers and pre/pro's, I rather have more HDMI or some other type of feature than the unused inputs.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Well there's still Joe 6pack out there who doesn't know the difference from one connection to another and only buys the cheapest. Strangely enough, I still have the first Pioneer Laserdisc/dvd combi player ( I have about 300 laserdiscs that haven't been replaced by dvd) and it doesn't have component outputs so I am thankfull that my Denon 3801 receiver and my projectors still have S-Video inputs/outputs.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I think George hit the mark on both accounts. The majority of equipment that's purchased, are by everyday people. Those who are not hobbiest like us.

Also, there are a lot of us that are into this hobby, that like/love to hang onto and use what others consider "dated" equipment. Which is why I always applaud companies like Onkyo and Pioneer (and a few others). They still put Phono pre-amps in a lot of their receivers.

I also own the same dvd/laserdisc combo player that George does. As wll as a turntable. :T
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

why not? can't be adding much cost to the product....and a lot of ppl are still hanging on to the older sources...i.e., LD, VCR, video game systems...

If you take it out, ppl (other than you) will look to other brands. ...you may never use it, but when you do need it's there.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
          • Feb 2006

Some of us bought our last TV before component and lots of inputs was available on sub-$1000 TVs, and we haven't yet bought a fancy new HDTV due to price and technology concerns.

I've recently been going through trauma since Oppo includes S-Video on their DVD players but do not pass full luminance levels via that output.

Comment

• KeithM
            • Oct 2005

Pretty much all game systems use composite as the included cable, so that's part of it

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

I kinda wonder about this myself. Why would the Rotel RSP-1068 possibly need 5 S-Video and 5 Composite Video inputs? I can certainly understand one or two for backward compatibility, though.

I'd much rather they use the space for another set of 5.1 analog inputs, so that I could connect an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray device, in addition to my DVD-Audio/SACD player.
              Brad

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Even late-model standard DSS recievers usually don't have component. Mine only has only S-video and composite. There's still a need though minimal IMHO under some circumstances for the older connections.

Of course, my HD receiver has all the modern connections...
                Danish

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Blindamood
                  Why would the Rotel RSP-1068 possibly need 5 S-Video and 5 Composite Video inputs?
                  I certainly agree that most companies could stand to lose a few of them. Some receivers/pre's have a sea of the bloody things on their back panels. I'd think that 3 or 4 would be MORE than enough and leave space for more needed/modern connections.
                  Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

I for one will be mad if I lose my composite for each video input. My recording device doesn't support component (few with component support HD). My zone 2 (and three for the matter) TV only supports composite.

A lot of newer stuff has at least 2 zones, some 3 zones. Even the new Rotel stuff is going to include 4 zones. So even though my main area doesn't need composite or S-video, my other zones that the receiver handles does.

It's a little single-minded to want stuff removed just because you don't need it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Or they could simply design the units to have all video outputs active, appropriately scaled for every source. Seems all your really need is the secondary zone outputs Kevin.
                      Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
                        Or they could simply design the units to have all video outputs active, appropriately scaled for every source. Seems all your really need is the secondary zone outputs Kevin.
                        That would be awesome. As soon as mini HDMI converters come out we will be set (composite, S, & component video inputs, digital and analog audio inputs, 1 HDMI output. All for $25). I doubt that would happen, or getting people to spend money on their older stuff to hook it up.

If it's truly a 'space' problem. Perhaps an outboard dongle full of the composite inputs would be best? Plug it in a small connector on the back if you need them, leave it in the box if you don't.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

VCRs ?
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

I would however agree it is approaching time to reduce the number of required S-videos and composites down to probably 2 or 3 in favor of additional HDMIs, etc... on the limited real estate back there. There are however, situations where people do still need them, even if not for a source they view regularly. Like older camcorders, VCRs, TiVos, etc... and yes, most of those do require left and right audio input as well- Some people like to use small LCD monitors for things as well. maybe...

Just because today's components don't require them, doesn't mean there's not plenty of need still in the marketplace.
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

From a personal perspective my Rotel 1098 LCD screen will only show a video picture through composite only. Therefore, if I don't want to fire up the projector, I'm stuck with this "antiquated" video connection for monitoring purposes via the 1098 LCD. The other reasons have been previously mentioned, i.e. older equipment, lack of knowledge, Zones, etc.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"