X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kees
    • Sep 2003

1098 conversion composite to component

I'm getting my 1098 tomorrow, but downloaded the manual from Rotel's website. I have a question on the conversion from composite or SVideo to Component. I hope one of you can help me!

My ideal setup is:
    VIDEO 1: S-VHS player (with S-video cable)
    VIDEO 2: Hi-8 player (with S-video cable)
    VIDEO 3: DVD-Recorder (with S-video cable)
    VIDEO 4: DVD-player (with progressive scan component cable)

From the 1098 I would only like to run a component cable to my projector.

As I understand from the manual, to connect my Progressive Scan DVD-player to the unit, I have to select Progressive mode = YES. But when progressive mode is set to YES, the conversion to Component video is only available from the VIDEO 5 input.
    So now I also have to use an S-video cable between the 1098 and the projector.

Am I correct?
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Kees-

Congratulations on your 1098 purchase and welcome to the Club!!!

If you use your ideal setup you can't set Progressive=Yes because video conversion (s-video --> component) would only occur on Video 5 and you need it to occur on Video inputs 1 - 3. You have 3 devices connected with s-video cables. You can only use Progressive=Yes if you have all your devices connected via component video cables, except for Video 5.

The only thing the Progressive=Yes setting gives you is the ability to display the OSD when you have a progressive or 1080i signal present and even then it has to interupt that signal in order to display the OSD. Also, some of us, myself included, have discovered some video issues when using that setting. Since you have so many devices using s-video, you can't use it either if you want to only have a component cable running between your 1098 and your projector.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions.

-Skip

Comment

• Kees
      • Sep 2003

Thanks for your answer Skip.

So if I understand you correctly, I still have to connect the 1098 with both a component AND a S-video cable to my projector.

In my current setup (with a B&K 3090) I have my DVD-player connected directly to my beamer with a component cable (as the B&K does not support component inputs), and I run my other video sources through the processor, which is connected to the projector with an S-video cable. I have to switch video-sources on both the processor and the projector.

CURRENT SETUP:
      DVD-player > Component cable > projector
      other video sources > S-video cable > pre-amp > S-video cable > projector

I had hoped to go "full component" with the 1098, so that I only had to switch sources at the pre-amp.

PROJECTED NEW SITUATION
      DVD-player > component cable > 1098 > component cable > projector
      other video sources > S-video cable > pre-amp > component cable > projector

But I guess with the 1098 I still have to use current setup. Why use an extra component cable to connect de DVD player to the 1098, when it won't convert the other sources to component (in Progressive mode)?

(it's no use connecting the DVD-player with a separate component cable to the 1098 first, and then only use a component cable from the 1098 to the projector for that one component source)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

As I understand it you'd only need to run the s-video cable if you planned on viewing a progressive signal on the 1098's TFT display. If that wasn't something you needed to do then you can leave the progressive setting to off and the video upconversion will work normally. The only issue then would be that you couldn't view the DVD source on the TFT display.

Comment

• skipm
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Kees
          So if I understand you correctly, I still have to connect the 1098 with both a component AND a S-video cable to my projector.
          No, you can go with Plan A:

Kees Ideal Setup:
          VIDEO 1: S-VHS player (with S-video cable) + Composite
          VIDEO 2: Hi-8 player (with S-video cable) + Composite
          VIDEO 3: DVD-Recorder (with S-video cable) + Composite
          VIDEO 4: DVD-player (with component cable) + Composite

Noticed I added composite. You need to connect your video sources to the 1098 with a composite video cable if you want to view these sources on the 1098's TFT display. The only problem you might run into is with your DVD player. Some DVD players will not output simultaneous video signals to component and composite outs when in progressive scan mode. Try it and if you don't see video from the DVD player on the TFT, set the DVD player to interlaced mode and try it again.

Now the Progressive option setting. In your case you have to set this to Progressive = No. The reason is if you set it to Progressive = Yes, the video signal on Video Inputs 1 - 3 will not be sent (I hate to use the term upconverted since there is really no conversion going on.) through the component video output and you won't see anything when you switch to these inputs.

It gets a little more complicated since Rotel apparently changed the behavior of this setting with a later firmware version which changed this setting from a global to a video input specific setting. Since you are getting yours tomorrow you will probably have the latest firmware. If you do then you may be able to set Progressive = Yes for Video 4 only. However, I'm not sure what affect this will have on the 1098's ability to upconvert Video Inputs 1 -3 s-video signal to component.

Now that I have throughly confused you, hook it up as you originally planned and let us know if you run into any problems. We'll be monitoring the board and will jump in to assist.

Have fun,

-Skip

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"