DVD Recorder for PC - I want to copy Laserdisc to DVD (Never mind... I decided not to do this... thanks for the responses though!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

DVD Recorder for PC - I want to copy Laserdisc to DVD (Never mind... I decided not to do this... thanks for the responses though!)

Guys I don't much about DVD recording so I need some good advise.

I have about 30-35 laserdisc that I would like to record to DVD. This is strictly to allow me to take my LD player out of my HT system and to have one median to play movies and music.

A few questions that came to mind are:

Will I be able to copy the digital audio as it is encoded? These are all Dolby Surround/AC-3 or Digital Sound Stereo. My Sony LD player has optical digital and rca stereo outputs with s-video and composite video outputs.

Is there copy protection to be concerned with?

I would think all of the widescreen versions are non-anamorphic. Is there anyway to make them anamorphic when copying?

What do I need to look for in a PC DVD Recorder and keep my expense to a minimum?

Do I need any particular software such as PowerDVD?

How will I connect my LD player to my computer? My soundcard is a Creative SB Live! Value. Will I need a different soundcard?

Thanks for any help, opinions, suggestions, recommendations, etc.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Well, I'm not really an expert on DVD burning, but to get your LDs converted over you'll need a video capture card. For your ProLogic LDs, if your player has a digital output, you could bring them in via a SPDIF card or digital input on your sound card. If you have AC-3 (Dolby Digital) LDs, you'll need a RF demodulator to convert it to SPDIF, and then bring it in via your sound card's digital input.

It's probably not worth trying to make your LDs anamorphic, since you can't add resolution that isn't there. You could scale it if you have the right software, but it won't look any better than if you keep it non-anamorphic.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Thanks Kevin, this gives me some where to start.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Well I learned one thing... my LD player doesn't have RF/AC-3 output so I want have to worry about that.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

Quick google search found this:

I have had no experience with turning an LD into a DVD but I have taken my analogue 8mm vid cam and piped it into the computer via the capture card features of my Asus card...it can't be much different than that.

The latest news, guides and downloads for digital video (DVD, Blu-ray, DivX, Xvid ...), HD, 3D and gaming

I think these articles will give you a hand. This is a good resource. Even though the focus is often conversion to Mpeg4 (Divx) as the final result...you can use he same tools and principles explained in the articles.

Doom9 is another good resource http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/

The best part is that the tools that these sites promote are open source/freeware unlike the 1st link I gave you. Hope this helps.

These sites contain various guides. For you, analogue or Tv capture would be the ones to follow.

The only thing I can think of is that you may run into macrovision problems...but maybe not if you are going into a capture card (and there are tools to turn off macrovision circuits in some capture cards (definately any of the nvidia based cards (like TVTool)...a quick google search will source that out for you).

Gord

"A RONSTER!"
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

Sonnie: this might make things even less complicated for you

MovieBox DV is the easiest way to edit your home movies no matter what type of video camera you use
            MovieBox DV is an analog to digital video converter that lets you capture your movies from any consumer videotape to your PC via its FireWire port. The included award-winning Studio 8 software lets you edit your videos, add titles, narration, and special effects, and then output your final project to DVD, Video CD, S-VCD, the Internet, or back to your camcorder or VCR.

It's about ease of use
            MovieBox DV is an external device housed in a sleek, F.A. Porsche-designed enclosure. Simply connect your camcorder/VCR to MovieBox, attach MovieBox to your computer's FireWire port, and install the included Studio 8 software.

It's about Studio 8
            MovieBox DV includes the full version of Pinnacle Systems' award-winning Studio 8 software. Studio 8 is the easiest way to capture, edit and share your home movies. Studio's key features include; a simple drag and drop editing interface, powerful features such as fast/slow motion, color correction, and integrated DVD creation.

Product Highlights:

Includes full version of award-winning Studio 8 video editing software
            F.A. Porsche design, both sleek and rugged
            Captures video in DV quality
            Connects to your computer's FireWire/IEEE 1394 port
            S-Video/composite/FireWire input and output
            RCA audio input and output
            Studio 8 save movies as AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, RealVideo, or Windows Media Format
            Studio 8 has built-in authoring for DVD, VCD or S-VCD
            MovieBox can be used with the included stand or laying flat on your desk

Adds analogue capabilities to your DV editing system
            MovieBox DV simply connects to any FireWire / IEEE1394 port so you can capture from and output to both DV and analogue camcorders and VCRs.

Get the highest quality results
            Analogue and digital video captured with MovieBox DV is encoded in DV format, which guarantees you professional quality for editing and playback.

Design by FA Porsche
            MovieBox DV has been designed to be both elegant and ergonomic.

Package Includes:
            Studio 8 Software
            Studio 8 User Guide
            MovieBox DV Quick Start Guide
            MovieBox DV
            6-6 Pin DV/FireWire Cable
            4-6 Pin DV/FireWire Cable

Hardware Specifications
            Hardware Type: External DV to Analog Converter
            Connection to PC: FireWire/1394
            DV/FireWire Inputs/Outputs: 2
            Analog Video Inputs: S-Video & Composite Video (RCA)
            Audio Inputs: Right & Left RCA
            Analog Video Outputs: S-Video & Composite Video (RCA)
            Audio Outputs: Right & Left RCA

Capture Specifications:
            Format: NTSC Only
            Compression: DV
            Maximum resolution: 720 x 480
            Maximum frame rate: 30 frames/60 fields per second

Minimum System Requirements
            CPU: Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 500MHz (1GHz or Higher recommended)
            Memory: 128MB RAM (256MB recommended)
            Operating System: Windows 98SE, "Millennium", 2000, XP (XP recommended)
            Graphics Card: Direct X compatible (ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce recommended)
            Sound Card: Direct X compatible

Hard Disk Space: 300MB of disk space to install software 4GB for every 20 minutes of video captured
            Other: 1394/FireWire port, Mouse CD-ROM drive
            Optional: CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs
            DVD burner drive for creating DVDs

Or for an internal capture card solution:

Capture and edit video from any type of camcorder
            If you just got a new digital video camcorder, but still have a stack of old analog videotapes that you'd like to edit on your PC, then you need Studio AV/DV. Studio AV/DV is an internal plug and play video editing solution that lets you capture and edit movies from any type of camcorder. The hardware's radical new design incorporates a new, custom video chip for professional-quality capture and output of both analog and digital video. Of course the package also includes the full version of Pinnacle's award-winning Studio version 8 software.

Studio 8 is the # 1 selling moviemaking software in the world
            Make exciting movies that you're proud to show your friends and family with Pinnacle's Studio editing software. Studio makes editing movies on your PC or laptop easier than ever. Drag-and-drop your captured video footage onto the editing timeline and assemble a movie in minutes. Get really creative. With Studio, you have access to countless full-featured 2D and 3D transitions, royalty-free background music, and a title generator that gives your movies a polished look and feel.

Archive your video in any format
            When you're done with your movie, output your creation to the format of your choice. Studio AV/DV lets you export you movie back to analog or digital videotape, VCD, S-VCD, DVD and the Internet.

Create DVDs that can play in your living room DVD player
            Share your special moments with family and friends on DVD! With Studio, you can author and burn a disc with your CD or DVD burner that will play in most set-top DVD players. Create multiple linked menus, motion menus and motion buttons; you get all of these features and more in one exciting package.

Product Highlights:

Includes full version of Studio 8 video editing software
            Capture and edit analog and digital video
            Output analog and digital video
            Plug and play installation
            Create Video CDs, and DVDs that can play in your living room's DVD player
            S-Video, Composite, and FireWire inputs and outputs
            Studio 8 saves movies as AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, RealVideo, and Windows Media Format
            Package Includes:

Studio 8 Software
            Studio 8 User Guide
            Studio AVDV Quick Start Guide
            Studio AVDV PCI Board
            4-6 Pin DV/FireWire cable

Hardware Specifications

Hardware Type: Internal 1394/FireWire & Analog capture board
            Connection to PC: PCI Slot
            DV/FireWire Inputs/Outputs: 1
            Analog Video Inputs: S-Video & Composite Video (RCA)
            Audio Inputs: NO (Audio captured via DV/FireWire or PC Sound board)
            Analog Video Outputs: S-Video & Composite Video (RCA)
            Audio Outputs: (Audio output via DV/FireWire or PC Sound board)

Capture Specifications

Format: NTSC Only
            Compression: DV, MJPEG, MPEG
            (Compression formats available for capture dependent on CPU Speed)
            Maximum resolution: 720 x 480
            Maximum frame rate: 30 frames/60 fields per second

Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 800MHz (1.5GHz or Higher recommended)
            Memory: 128MB RAM (256MB recommended)
            Operating System: Windows 98SE, “Millennium”, 2000, XP (XP recommended)
            Graphics Card: Direct X compatible (ATI Radeon or Nvidia Geforce recommended)
            Sound Card: Direct X compatible
            Hard Disk Space: 300MB of disk space to install software 4GB for every 20 minutes of video captured
            Other: PCI Slot, Mouse CD-ROM drive
            Optional: CD burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs DVD burner drive for creating DVDs

Advanced Software Features

Video Editing

Capture and edit DVD Quality MPEG video from your DV or Digital8 camcorder
            Import and Edit MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files
            Easy drag and drop editing lets you assemble your masterpiece
            Advanced timeline features for frame-by-frame editing
            Advanced preview window shows your edits immediately

Transitions and Effects

Pinnacle TitleDeko for Professional title effects including drop shadows and neon glows
            Intelligent Rendering renders only the effects, saving you time and space!
            Special video effects and image correction

Audio

Custom audio features let you sync sound effects perfectly to your project
            Import mp3 files or rip directly from CD for background music
            Record your own voice-over narration in sync with the action

Advanced Publishing Features

Share your movies on video tape, DVD, CD and the internet
            Create Hollywood style DVDs, Video CDs and S Video CDs with: Videos and photo slide shows
            Motion menu backgrounds and buttons
            Automatic scene index menus
            Menu back ground music
            Linked/nested menus

Publish for PC playback or email in MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or AVI format
            Stream your video in RealVideo8 or Windows Streaming Media

You could build a capture system yourself by getting a less expensive capture card and assemble a collection of free tools recommended in the various guides. It all depends on your comfort level I suppose.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Thanks for the links and info Gordon.

I have to say, this is all a little much to learn for a hillbilly like myself. I can't seem to get myself motivated to figure it all out. I'll just have to take it slow. lol

There seems to be a lot to consider. Figuring out which DVD recorder to get is painful. I had visited a forum (dvdrhelp.com) to learn about those and wow... there's a lot of debate about formats and quality of players. Eccck! And I still haven't figured out what to buy.

I'm trying to look at it like buying a piece of HT gear. It's probably much easier than I'm thinking though.

I can't even record a 2 hour movie to my harddrive... geeze.

My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400.

What is "Legacy Video Capture Devices" located under Sound in my Device Manager? Do I have a Video Capture Card on my puter you reckon? :?

I'm a really big dummie when it comes to puters.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Feb 2002

Sonnie...it's just information overload and your right, it's easier than you think.

For the recorder issue...from what I understand, the format hasn't been hammered out. You basically have 3 choices

DVD+R(write)/RW (re-rwritable)
                DVD-R/RW
                DVD-RAM

Your best bet would be the multi-format burners from

LG LCDVRW055 *on sale for CDN's at FutureShop for an incredible $199
                Pioneer DVR-A06USPK4
                or Sony DRU500A with CD-R/RW

the format you want to record is the one that your home player supports (check the manual for that).

Do I have a Video Capture Card on my puter you reckon?
                Tough to say...you might depending on he card. Gainward made a MX400 card with VIVO (video-in/video-out) . Throw me the model number and I'll let you know.

The other way is to take a gander behind the pc and look at the inputs and outputs of the card if it seem to have more connectors than just an s-video port and your monitor connector (DB9/15) you might have capture capabilities.

I guess the capture card thing should be ironed out before you plunk down money on a burner. Figure out if you can capture a reasonable AVI from your laser disc to the hard drive first before you spend any more dough. Like I said before, even if you don't have a capture card, you can't get a fairly inexpensive one that will fit the bill quite nicely

Xcard is better than average and gives you a remote to boot:

msi-tv@nywhere is apparently another good choice.

and it's only something like $50.

Yup go slow and ask questions

cheers
                Gord

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Not that I'm going to keep my Toshiba forever but, it is compatible with DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. I'm thinking for the future I probably would definitely want to mulit format DVD burner. I'll check out those you mentioned.

I look at my PC at home this weekend and see if I can figure out what all it has. I may have more than I think.

Thanks again Gordon... I'LL BE BACK!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

You know Gordon, maybe I should really take a second look at converting these LD's.

If I purchased the available titles on DVD I'd end up spending about $700 or so. But I'd have anamorphic widescreen on most and 5.1 sound. I'd also not have the time in converting them. If I calculate the equipment and media I'll need it will start adding up quick.

EDIT: Thanks guys for all the info. I've decided not to try this. I have heard rumors that a couple of the LD's I was really wanted copied are probably going to be released on DVD. I can pick up the ones I really want badly on DVD too. I'll keep my LD player just in case.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"