Cheap 4 ohm receivers?(receivers which can drive 4 ohm speakers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Cheap 4 ohm receivers?(receivers which can drive 4 ohm speakers)

I don't know if there is really such a thing as 4 ohm receiver but seems like some receivers can't drive 4 ohm speakers well.

Do you know 5.1 receivers which are really cheap,unused(first hand) and can drive 4 ohm speakers?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Good Question
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

No Such Thing as a Cheap 4ohm Receiver

Onkyo makes the TX-SR707(about the cheapest I know of at about $750)
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

As far as I have seen, most speakers that are 4 ohms nominal or dip to 4 ohms or below are fairly expensive high end models. It is unlikely that the person who can afford such speakers would look to mate them with a dirt cheap receiver. It just would not make sense any way you look at it.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
          • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

I was thinking that Monitor Audio Silver Rx series is 4 ohms,but I looked at their specifications again and saw that they are 4 ohms.I think there is no problem if I buy these 6 ohm speakers and drive them with a 8 ohm rated amplifier,right?

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
            • Nov 2009

Unfortunately,I looked again at the Monitor Audio webpage,and noticed that although other speakers in the series are 6 ohms, Monitor Audio Silver Rx8 speakers are 4 ohms.

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

how bout using a receiver with external amp? parasound's Z series amp can drive 4ohm speakers and they are pretty affordable. Get a receiver with preout would do the job.
              Will end up with debating which is more cost effective(1pair 4ohm speakers are easy, 3pairs are not)
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

Those are pretty decent speakers, afaik. They deserve better than a "cheap" receiver.

Regardless, and even though they may not be specifically rated, in the few low cost receiver reviews I've looked at Onkyo seems to deliver most of what they claim. Also, many say HK receivers are conservatively rated and hold up under low impedances.

Generally, if you give the receiver plenty of ventilation, it'll probably be alright regardless of a specific 4-ohm rating, unless, maybe, you try to drive at rock concert levels for lengthy periods of time.
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• young21
                  • Dec 2009

I am also interested in finding out which receiver is decent to drive Martin Logan Preface ( 4 ohm ) speakers for front channels + 3 ML Vignette ( 6 ohms ) for center and rear.
                  Can I try with Onkyo SR -707 and add power amp later if needed.

I bought a ML Dynamo 500 from amazon for the sub. Any other sub would you recommend for the above combination ?

thanks in advance.

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

The Onkyo SR-707 is rated for 4 ohm loads, so you should have no problem there. Yes, you can add an external amp later. I use an external amp with my Onkyo AVR.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Vinny
                      how bout using a receiver with external amp? parasound's Z series amp can drive 4ohm speakers and they are pretty affordable. Get a receiver with preout would do the job.
                      Will end up with debating which is more cost effective(1pair 4ohm speakers are easy, 3pairs are not)

What is preout?Is it an input'(or output's) name?Is it written as "preout" on the receiver?

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                        • Oct 2009

A Preout is an RCA output that you send from the Pre-amplifier(or more likely the receiver) to your outboard Amplifier. Most folks have a receiver that does all of this in one box. The idea is that by separating the relatively small signals(typically about 1-2volts with about 9volt peaks) in the preamp section and the relatively larger voltages in the amplification stage you can keep the signal cleaner. This is done with what is referred to as separates. Separates are two separate boxes. One is the preamplifier/processor and the other is the amplifier.
                        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                          • Oct 2009

Came Across Good Price on Onkyo TX-SR707

$499
                          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• young21
                            • Dec 2009

ONKYO price

I got similar price in the thanksgiving weekend from BB for a new one.
                            This one looks refurb. It's a good price as most of the other places sell from $600+

Comment

• young21
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Glen B
                              The Onkyo SR-707 is rated for 4 ohm loads, so you should have no problem there. Yes, you can add an external amp later. I use an external amp with my Onkyo AVR.
                              thanks . which external amp do you use ?

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by young21
                                thanks . which external amp do you use ?
                                I have a small collection of vintage amps and signal processing components. I currently have a Phase Linear 400 Series II amp hooked up right now, driving the main speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"