X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Sony DB940

As I was reading through this mornings paper, I come across and add for a Sony DB940 on clearance price for C$688(US$450). Usual price for this is around C$999 - C$950. So on the surface it looks like a pretty good deal.

If it happens to be a demo unit, anything wrong with a demo?

I'm not really in the market for a new receiver, well kinda, but it's not really high on my list.

I like the Sony cause its in the DB line, adjustable crossover, has pre-outs, and does DTS. This would be replacing my Yamaha 595 and driving Energy eXL16 speakers. Oh and the Sony would have 'more power'

For a while I've been thinking of picking up an Outlaw 1050, especially with thier price drop. I figure with shipping and exchange, the Outlaw will be a bit more, but I know the Outlaw has got all the features I'm looking for, plus a 6.1 option. 6.1 is not a big thing for me as I don't have room for a rear center speaker. However, I'm pretty interested in DPLII that's coming out in the Onkyo's.

What are people's opinions? Yay or nay?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I had a 930 when they came out acting as a pre amp to my HK amp. All in all I was pretty impressed with its build quality and features but IMO the HK and Denon I tried sounded better for music..in HT though the sony did extremely well. Given some of the new featues the 940 has that price is a great deal.

As for comparisons b/t it and the Outlaw thats a difficult call, I've never heard the outlaw so I won't offer an oppinion on which would sound better.

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

With my Paradigm's, I'm not impressed with anything in the Sony line with the possible exception of the 777ES.

Denon and Rotel work beautifully with them. And I haven't tried H/K or Marantz, which are supposed to sound pretty nice with them as well.
      Gregor

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

KeithH over on the HTF seemed to enjoy the combo of his Sony ES-V444 and the Energy speakers.

Does the store have a good return policy on display models? If so, give it a try, can't hurt.

I wished I had a DB940 over a DB930 due to the bass management flexibility.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
        PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• DavidY
          • Aug 2000

Paul,

If I came across a deal like that (assuming full warranty applies and if I was in need of an upgrade), I would just grab it, especially for only CDN$688.

FWIW, I bought the Sony 777ES unseen and unheard....based strictly on a demo with the Sony DBx30. Except for the "toasting accident" that I had in Feb. (service took 3 months ), I have quite happy with my 777ES. Carrying/transporting the 777ES up and down three floors is a real pain in the back (wish my apartment had elevators).

Dave

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"