Outlaw 950 vs Aragon Stage One (in the house!!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Outlaw 950 vs Aragon Stage One (in the house!!)

A friend of mine had a few days left before he had to return his 950 back to Outlaw (he bought the AT Clone and uses an Anthem Pre2L for his 2 channel listening). I thought why not? This is a good chance to try the Outlaw in my system for a couple days. I did a few comparisons the past 2 nights and one day of listening.

My system is:

Speakers:
    NHT 3.3 mains
    NHT Audiocenter 2
    NHT 1.5 sides
    NHT Superzero rears
    NHT SW3P passive rear/LFE subs (2)

Equipment:
    Aragon Stage One
    Parasound 2200II 250x2 Amps (2)
    Parasound 806 Amp (sides, rears, 1 sub)
    Parasound CDC-1500 CD Carousel
    Panasonic RP91 DVD

I had the Aragon Soundstage about 6 weeks before the Stage One (which is about a week old). Before the Aragon, I had the Lexicon MC1 for about 14 months, and the Onkyo 989 about 8 months before that; both excellent performers. Before the Onkyo, I had....well, let's just say my wife tells our friends that our dining room was a UPS shipping outlet for over a year I've had the Parasound amps about a year, and before that a combination of Citation 7.1/5.1 amps for ~ 2 years. Before the Citations...well, my house was a UPS shipping outlet

OUTLAW SETUP

The 950 is pretty easy to set up. Remote is not bad, it is a pain in the ass to have to switch back to the Audio input (950) after selecting other source inputs. Distance settings are too basic though: one setting for both mains, one for center, one for all four rears, and none for the sub. My four rear speakers all vary between 4 and 8 feet from me. Most of the 5.1 processors I've own (at least 10) had distance settings for each inidividual speaker. Also, Outlaw is to the nearest foot; the Lexicon MC1 was to the nearest ~ 0.3 foot, and the Aragon Stage One to the nearest inch.

DVDS (OUTLAW VS ARAGON)

The Outlaw sounded pretty good, with decent dynamics and good LFE. However, compared to the Aragon, the Outlaw sounded a little thin and was harsh at high volumes; the soundstage not as cohesive or big. The Aragon has better, more room filling bass, with superior resolution/detail and never sounded harsh. With the Aragon I notice people's breathing and lips moving. I did not notice this with the Outlaw.

2 CHANNEL (Outlaw vs Parasound CDC-1500 changer)

The Parasound has older 18bit burr-brown dacs and hooked up both digital and analog to the Outlaw. I can A/B on the fly, and made sure the first note in each track was 80dB. Using the Parasound's dacs, the soundstage is deeper, wider, with clearer female vocals.

2 CHANNEL DAC (Outlaw vs Aragon)

I hooked up my Panasonic RP91 via digital to both prepros. And inserted an analog switchbox so I can A/B on the fly (without switching cables). The difference was astonishing to me. Compared to the Aragon, the Outlaw's soundstage was narrow and not as detailed. The female vocals were centered, but seem to dominated the rest of the music. The Aragon produced a much deeper, wider soundstage with clean, rich vocals, and more prominent bass. This is more night and day than any of my previous cdp/dac tests. Perhaps because I am also comparing 2 channel preamps, and not just the dacs.

I buy most of my gear used, so I like to judge prices with used values on the market. A used Outlaw 950 is about $750, a used Stage One about $2600. To match the Aragon's 2 channel performance, one would need to add a 2 channel preamp with HT unity gain (ie, Adcom gfp750 for ~ $750) and spend $500-800 on a used dac. This wouldn't bridge the sonic differences in HT though, as the Aragon's preamp/dac extends to all 8 channels.

The Outlaw 950 is a good performer at its price point; it gives you the new surround modes and 5.1 inputs. However, for pure DVD/DSS playback, a Lexicon DC2/MC1 (going for 1200-1900 used) would beat it in surround processing, flexibility, Logic7 soundfields, and detail.
  • KS
    • Jun 2002

Careful Ricky, I posted some not too flattering comments about the 950 on another forum. What followed were not only posts but emails telling me I was everything from stupid to the Anti-Christ.

I had purchased one for a second system, found it unacceptable, then returned it.

I'm sure this forum is more tolerable but you might be found!

Ken

Comment

• Ricky
      • Aug 2000

Ken,

I have no fear. I posted this review on a few forums, including THE outlaw forum. Please don't be afraid to post your comments in *my* (these) threads. It would be great if people like you were allowed to give their honest opinions without getting overly harrassed.

And people sent you nasty emails even though you listened to the unit in your own house?! What nerve. If I started a thread (anywhere), do not be afraid to post your comments in it.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Thanks for the review. I would hope that the Aragon would best the Outlaw given the price differences. This IS good to know. Right now, I have the Rotel 1066, but, one day, I imagine I'll be upgrading. If I moved up to the 3K range, I'd really like the difference in sound to be something that would be quite noticable for the extra cash.

As to the Outlaw crowd, a lot of them seem bent on proving that they have the equivalent of a 3-4 K pre-pro. It's human nature to want to be proud of what you own and love. My personal opinion is that they got a very nice pre-pro for the price and that they should leave it at that. It might be the best bargain in all pre-pro land for all I know, but it just can't be expected to stand right up there, punch for punch, with the 3K and up crowd, sonically or feature wise. Still, I think Outlaw has opened the door for quite a few, more affordably priced, pre-pros by other companies.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Went over to the Outlaw Saloon and it's nice to see that there is zero bashing of the comparing of the two pre-pros. In fact, they seem to be quite respecting of Ricky and his knowledge of the field. I really wish it was always this way on all of the boards.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

If you read the "KCB on HTF" and "Outlaw for 2 channel" threads, they were ganging up on me big time.......

Comment

• JohnT
              • Jan 2003

Take another look at the outlaw thread today

There kicking the shi# outta me.. and Ricky too. I guess they cant handle the fact that the allmighty 950 was bested by ANYTHING.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

/RANT ON

This is something I've never understood (maybe if I was a little better adjusted?), and not with just the Outlaw. Why can't people accept that there ARE differences in systems and just be happy with what they have or at least, be happy with what they can reasonably expect to upgrade to in the future? Sure, we all want to upgrade to Boulder and Halcro levels and experience the sonic nirvana therein, but it isn't going to happen for the vast majority of us. Yes, the Outlaw line is an over-built (yeah! :T), high-value-for-the-price/performance (double-yeah :T) line of electronics that is worthy of respect and compliments, no question. Yes, there are higher-priced units out there that the Outlaw out-performs - conversely, there are many higher-priced units that it doesn't. But . . .

SO WHAT?

What in the above statements give people the license to go after someone else for voicing an honest opinion? If someone says "after listening to XXXX I decided it wasn't for me and moved on" or even "after listening to XXXX I feel you can do better with ZZZZ because. . ." well fine. These are both valid, reasonable, defensible and discussable statements. Even if XXXX is what you have, due to room acoustics, media and their own physical make-up other people hear things differently and these differences can be discussed in a mature, friendly and informative manner. Now, if someone says "Your XXXX receiver sucks root and you are a fool for buying it" then that person is simply showing the entire 'net what a MAJOR failure their parents were (and they are, also). Attempting to gain status in your own mind by running someone else down makes no sense. Posts with this kind of childish and immature behavior are a true waste of bandwidth and should be stamped out immediately. Sheesh!

It's a pity that we have to be soooo careful when discussing something (at least in other forums) that is a grandly enjoyable hobby to us all.

/RANT OFF

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread Ricky! Now, back OT. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Rich B
                  • Jun 2002

The most interesting comments I continue to read from 950 owners is that certain comparisons are: "not fair," "not apples to apples," "but that other prepro is $3-4K."

I have a particular TWO-YEAR-long advertising campaign permanently engrained in my brain that seemed to STRESS the following:

. . . as good or better than processors costing 3 times as much . . .

NOW that it's out, it no longer applies when people actually perform THAT comparison?

PUH-LEEZ.

Rich B.
                  also known as
                  JARTFBC
                  (Just Anther Ricky T Fan Boy Cheerleader)
                  :banana:

Comment

• JohnT
                    • Jan 2003

Rich,

You made my day, Love the dancing bannamma ( I cant spell to good. )..Yep Im a "DITTO" head"

Did you read that one remark about "two channel" being a new cool buzz word..and two channel being overated and talked about to much....hmm

Comment

• Ricky
                      • Aug 2000

ks,

These people are still going nuts. Is this a resemblance of what you heard?

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Well, I guess it didn't remain peaceful for long over there at Outlaw. It sounds like they're just not tolerant of anything but the community mind set over there. If Ricky, or those that agree with him (that means you John ) posts, the posse is out for a hangin'. Again, I like that Outlaw exists a lot, but there are a lot of "pod" people over there. :roll:

Actually, the comments directed at John struck me as strangest of all. On one hand, they seem intolerant of anyone who agrees with Ricky, on the other, they all seem to be on the same bandwagon themselves. Oh well...

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                          • Jan 2003

Wow, they're gettin ornery at the saloon. I guess you two (Ricky and John T) struck a nerve with the Outlaws.

I don't know what it is about the Outlaw threads it's like a vortex that pulls you in even though you fight to resist them.

I often wonder why people get so angry about a piece of gear?

Ricky, it's good you had the opportunity to hear the 950 and compare it side by side with the Aragon. I often wondered if it would stack up sonically to a preamp costing 2-3 times it's price and can't remember seeing anyone actually compare it side by side to a preamp in that range.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Gentlemen, let's please try to keep the focus on what goes on at this site, vs. talking about things said someplace else. I don't like it when folks try to rap negatively about this forum on other forums, so I expect they are no different over there or anyplace else.

thanks,
                            Lex
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KS
                              • Jun 2002

Sorry I've been traveling on business and don't get to spend much time on line.

Ricky, I didn't post the Outlaw forum but yes this was what I got and more.

Lex, I agree with your post completely but I read this discussion more of one on the tone of most forums. The reason I like this forum so much is I believe the members to be intelligent and tolerant. Almost all of the posts here are meaningful and rarely offensive.

It never ceases to amaze me how people feel the need to defend their purchase decisions. They will do this at the expense of reason and more importantly others feelings. It seems the only requirement to claim product "A" is the best ever is the fact that it was purchased.

My original 950 post was a question. I picked up the unit for a second system. This was the third version with "all of the problems fixed" and I had very audible hiss and strange delay when changing channels. I'd have to wait up to seven seconds for the unit to acquire sound. At the time I had a Theta Casablanca in my system so of course there was no comparison and I didn't expect one. On the other hand the Outlaw didn't sound as good to me as the Denon AVR5600 I had purchased it to replace.

For this I actually was asked for my address so some nut could come and "teach (me) to understand hi-end audio". I don't think he meant to convince me with software.

I hang out here and AVS. I go to AVS just for the number of posts and wealth of information. I come here to enjoy myself, and I do

Ken

PS While I was without computer I picked up a Tag McLaren AV32r-bp192 and really enjoy it!

Comment

• Ricky
                                • Aug 2000

Here are some Sound & Vision LAB results. The Anthem, Sunfire, and Aragon were compared in the same write-up.

1) AC3 NOISE LEVEL on 16bit Signal (the larger the negative the better):
                                Sherwood 7108 -68.5 ($300 receiver)
                                Yamaha rx-v730 -67.7 ($599 receiver)
                                Sony DA4ES - 74.9 ($999 receiver)

Sherbourn PT-7000 -72.4 (Outlaw 950 clone)

Anthem AVM20 - 75.2 dB
                                Sunfire TGIII - 75.4 dB
                                Aragon Stage One - 75.6 dB

2) MULTICHANNEL ANALOG Inputs - Distortion (1 kHz at 200mV)
                                Sherwood 7108 0.05%
                                Yamaha 730 0.03%
                                Sony 4ES 0.02%

Sherbourn PT-7000 0.02%

Anthem 0.05%
                                Sunfire 0.02%
                                Aragon 0.003% (one tenth the distortion level!)

3) MULTICHANNEL ANALOG Inputs Noise Level (A-wtd re 200mV) The larger the negative the better.

Sherwood 7108 -74.5 dB
                                Yamaha 730 -80.4 dB
                                Sony 4ES -79.2 dB

Sherbourn -69.8 dB (the worst of the lot)
                                Anthem -84.4 dB
                                Sunfire -87.2 dB
                                Aragon -88.3 dB

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"