X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawn Parr
    • Feb 2006

Rotel vs. Outlaw amplifier character

Hello all. I'm hoping to come up with some cash this summer to upgrade the home theatre/music playback system a bit.

I currently have a dirt cheap receiver, it is so embarrassing I won't even mention what it is. When I first got a DVD player I bought a home theatre in a box just to play around with then did some upgrading. The receiver is the last to go.

I have an Anthony Gallo system. Currently with Nucleus Micros (not the newer Ti models), and may try to also get some A'Diva Tis to replace the fronts pair with.

I was thinking of getting a Rotel RSX-1056, but for its cost I can start to get into separates without spending too much more. I would love to get a RSP-1068, but that is out of the budget. I have decided on getting an Outlaw 970 preamp, and need to decide on an amplifier.

My system and room are rather small, and I don't need a lot of power, although I prefer more than less, depending on the sound of the amplifier in question. I'm thinking along the lines of the RMB-1066, and since I'll only be using 5 channels it should get around 70 WPC with all 5 going. I'm comparing it to the Outlaw 7075 which hasn't shipped yet, and will have a bit more power due to it being a 7 channel amp with 75 WPC, but once again I'll only be using 5 of those channels so somewhere over 80 - 85 usable WPC may be available. Since it hasn't shipped yet I would like to hear opinions on the 7125, even though there is no guaranty that the 7075 will sound similar, it is the best I have to go on right now.

The real issue here is that the nearest Rotel dealer is at least a 4 1/2 hour drive away. So demo-ing is pretty tough, especially as the nearest dealers also aren't Gallo dealers, and I'd have to schlep a lot of stuff along, or take it home, and if I decide I don't want then I'm out 18 hours of drive time.

No matter which choice I go with it is going to blow away my current receiver, so I'm not really super concerned, but I'd like to know what people's thoughts are about those amplifiers, especially what the character is like. Personally I'd prefer neutrality and transparency. A bit of warmth would be okay, but I wouldn't want it to go too far. My current Gallos don't have much super high end detail so getting harsh sound would be difficult, but I was pretty surprised when I heard the A'Diva Ti's at a dealer compared to the Nucleus Micros and Micro Ti's, and as such would like to avoid overly harsh solutions.

I've been digging up information from all over, and would like your opinions. And yes, I realize that this is a Rotel specific place so you all will probably recommend that route. But you also all seem to be pretty honest so I'm hoping at least one of you has heard the Outlaw amps and can compare.

Thanks in advanced for your help on this. I usually can't allocate funds to the home theatre system, so this is a bit refreshing. I use my system mostly for Movies/TV, but lately have been using more and more for music playback, mostly 2 channel but have been collecting some SACDs as well.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I wouldn't plan on the rmb-1066. It's more of a multi-room amp and not designed for theater use. The RSX-1056 would probably yield a better sound.

Kevin D.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

You may want to check out www.Audiogon.com for some quality 'used' equipment at a fraction of new cost.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
        • Feb 2006

Just out of curiousity, I might, if I stretch a bit, be able to get a used RMB-1075. Anyone here compare the character of that amp to any of the Outlaw stuff?

Comment

• Elvis
          • Jan 2005

I could hear no difference in the 7125 and the 1075,I did like the 7125,great amp at its price.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
            • Feb 2006

Thanks Elvis, for your input. From what I have heard here and at the Outlaw forums, and based upon some of the 'professional' reviews I have read, it sounds like Outlaw may be the best bet for me at this point.

Comment

• Elvis
              • Jan 2005

I should add that I run Rotel amps.While I liked the outlaw sound(amps)about as well,I prefer Rotel prepros.I spent a little more money(not much) on Rotel amps just because they sound at least as good and look better,all imo.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                • Feb 2006

Yeah, I've seen and heard great things about the Rotel Pre/pros, but the 1068 costs almost the entire budget I am aiming for. Unfortunately my budget is not very flexible as I have to ensure my wife has no idea how much this stuff costs. I'm hoping I can sneak some of this stuff under the radar.

I'm pretty sure that I would most likely enjoy the 1068 more than a 970, but it costs almost 3x as much, so that isn't happening in the near future. I'm trying to get more freelance contract work, so maybe eventually...

Comment

• Tamas
                  • Jan 2006

For what its worth I recently picked up an RMB1075. It replaced a 3 channel Acurus and a 2 channel NAD. I found the sound of the 1075 to be pleasing - I find I have more mid/lower bass with the Rotel. Just my 0.02 cents.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

If cost is a big factor in your choice of equipment, be patient and wait until something good comes up on ebay or audiogon etc etc. Being patient gives you lots of time to research which unit is best for you and your budget.

There are bargains to be had, and when upgrading you usually dont lose anything much upon resale.

Perhaps an older Rotel prepro with DTS and DD and good old 2 channel. All you could miss is DD PL II but it could save you heaps.

When or if you want to upgrade again later go for the newer models with all the modes etc.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Even the 1066/1055 have DPLII and can be had used for a relatively good price
                      Jason

Comment

• Shawn Parr
                        • Feb 2006

Thanks all for your advice. Personally I try to shy away from used gear for this type of stuff, unless I personally know the previous owner. Bad past experiences....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"