X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

tuners

The topic of tuners came up over in the outlaw club regarding the new pre amp and I've never used the one in my Denon recevier. So in your oppinion is the inclusion of a tuner a must have or a waste of resources? For me I'd sooner not have it since the only time I listen to the radio is in the car as back ground noise.

• John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

When I was young, it was a must. Now, it is a nice plus but, it would not make or break a deal since one could always add one later, for a very low price.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Rather see them increase the power of the receiver or some other goody thing rather than waste the money on a tuner.I listen to the radio at breakfast and that's that.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

One of the reasons I bought a tuner/pre combo was just for the tuner. I don't listen to it much but do find it invaluable for school closings and other news and as background music when sleeping in the day to drown out other noise.

Again for me a must but YRMV.

Robbie

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I've never really used my tuner. But I don't think the cost savings are there to increase the power or other features if it is dropped.

I think it's kinda like the speakers in the TV situation.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

ok so if we agree that we aren't likely going to get any new features if we drop the tuner...what about the tuners affect on overall sound quality? ie does the inclusion of a tuner degrade the sound from a pre amp or receiver?

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

The system in our living room uses a Denon AVR3200 and the tuner in it has never been used.
              So that stands to reason the big system in the HT room doesn't even have one.

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

Andrew

Your second part is difficult to assess. My tuner is quiet as it inserts no noise (that I can hear) but would my system sound better with it gone??? I f I look at the Adcom tunerless pre it cost about $100 more than the GTP 450 I have. There must be other (better) design considerations involved.

I think unless you've got identical equipment to compare (one with one without) it's pointless to compare. Different equipment is going to sound different. I don't believe the difference between tuner installed and not would be that great.

The tuners use relatively little power so I think the argument they load the power supply is weak. I believe it's more a question of personal preference over performance.

IMHO as always

Robbie

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I personally use mine occasionally for a University sponsored radio station that has jazz hours daily. Mostly, that's all I use it for except for the occasional ball game being radio broadcasted. I picked up my Sony ES tuner at a pawn shop for like 50 bucks or something. Not a bad deal, except there is no remote. Rather much an incovenience, but not so much for me as I don't often change the channel anyway.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"