X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Excellent Progressive output at $300???

Check this out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002857-2.html About half way down it starts to get real interesting, they're talking about Faroudja's fl12200 chip and someone from Asia sends them a $300 player that has the chip in it!
    Quick review follows with more to come I'd imagine...Kenny
  • John Kotches
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Kenny,

It would appear to be so.

Stacey doesn't pull any punches and for him to be pleased with the performance of a player is something. Those were his first impressions only, so it'll be interesting to see how he feels about it with over a longer period of time.

The chipsets to do progressive output are relatively cheap as evidenced by the lowering cost of progressive scan output.

I wonder how long it will be before all DVD Players are progressive output capable. My guess is the next model years introductions at CES 2002 will be the year.

Regards,

---
    Editor, PC/Home Theater
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    My Home Theater
    NEC LT-150 specific page.
    ---
    Editor, PC/Home Theater
    My Home Theater

Comment

• John A
      • May 2001

I have a pretty bad memory, but just this past week, I read a post somewhere of someone who saw a Toshiba 5109 for $200. I believe this since I saw a close out unit for $200 at Best Buy a couple of months ago.

I bought the 5109 when it was relatively new - I glad I didn't wait, but then again....$200 is hard to argue with. This unit has progressive scan - I don't know if it to the same quality as the chip you're referring to.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'd expect progressive to be the norm very shortly. They're always looking for a new "feature" to get new sales and with the players maturing now I think this will be the thing they'll start pushing...that and MP3 support.

Comment

• John Kotches
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Andrew,

I agree with you -- this summer it'll be "Progressive Scan" -- next year, maybe progressive scan and DVD-A.

In two years, maybe progressive scan, dvd-a and sacd.

Regards,

---
          Editor, PC/Home Theater
          My Home Theater
          ---
          Editor, PC/Home Theater
          My Home Theater

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I don't see how the benefits of progressive scan can appeal to the massess. Don't you need a HDTV ready set, or a FPTV to really take advantage of progressive scan? Most people don't have this capability, or can't afford to buy into it. I mean people are buying 50" RPTV's but these are the low end versions, but for the regular buyer, these look great, and are priced right.

For us enthusiasts, progressive scan at a down to earth price is important. But isn't picture quality and how these progressive scans are implemented more important. I haven't been following too closely the progressive scan players cause, I don't have the display capable of utilizing progressive scan. And when I do, I'm sure there will be some great machines available, at rock bottom prices.

Feature wise, I think DVD-A and SACD support would be more important. And really, Nuon support, implemented to emulate a CPU so that you can access DVD-rom content from your player. Nothing is more irritating than having features only on DVD-Rom and not being able to access it.

MP3 would also be a nice feature, but shouldn't this be on stand alone cd players? Have any CD players implemented MP3? Seems funny that DVD players are the first to have MP3 compatibility.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Paul I agree progressive support won't help the vast majority but I still feel it will be used as a "selling" point...you know for the future so its not incompatible with tomorrows TV's etc.. sales guys love to say that don't buy X b/c it won't be compatible next year etc.

Comment

• John Kotches
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Paul,

When I bought my first DVD-P at the end of 1998, component output was considered a feature, now I know of few DVD-Ps that are manufactured without component outputs.

As far as the masses are concerned -- the chipsets are becoming so cheap that the inclusion of Progressive scan becomes nearly inconsequential and it's simpler to just include it on every player for the economy of scale.

Except for the way high-end crowd (I'm one of them crazies) standalone CDPs are dieing quickly -- so inclusion of new capabilities isn't worth the effort. OTOH, including MP3 support on a DVDP means another selling point to get another DVDP sale.

On DVD-A and SACD support, the DACs are now to market, and the first round of truly universal DVDPs will likely be out this summer -- so it's only a matter of time 'till the "Super DACs" filter into all DVD-Ps making them universal so long as the royalties are paid to the appropriate parties and appropriate firmware to recognize the format is included.

Regards,

---
                Editor, PC/Home Theater
                My Home Theater
                ---
                Editor, PC/Home Theater
                My Home Theater

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

Here's a couple places that are starting to sell them http://www.hivizone.com or http://www.avshop.com.hk/
                  So far people seem to be very happy with this giant killer.
                  The first site also gives a few specs...note it'll play all regions.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"