Looking for suggestions on upgrading speakers wire...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RH Customs
    • May 2006

Looking for suggestions on upgrading speakers wire...

I need help onupgrading my speaker wire. I'm currently running Monster Cable Xp speaker wire, I would like to here some suggestions for upgrades. I would like to keep the price under $1 a foot.

Thanks
    "Yes, but these go up to aleven" Spinal Tap

RH
    :-y
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

Try the soundking from partsexpress

If the 10gauge doesn't fit, go back to 12gauge.
    I have the 12gauge since 2years ago and still going strong. Not a big fan of really expensive cable here so I use some cheap one(I had my 100' for 30 @ 12gauge back in the days, now it gets expensive).
    From I upgrade horizontally twice(18 and 16, then 12). The only differences I could hear were upgrading the wire to a bigger one.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

RH

Check out CatCables.
      Doug, who started and runs this forum, hand makes cables that many of us here use. I myself, have never seen or heard better and the price is far below anything that compares to the quality and performance.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• spyboy
        • Jun 2005

I wonder what the original poster meant when he said he wanted to keep the cost "under $1 per foot"?

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by spyboy
          I wonder what the original poster meant when he said he wanted to keep the cost "under $1 per foot"?

Not sure , but I wonder about the term "upgrade" at that price point!
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

I made some semi-diy speaker wire:

Bought some 14 guage 4 conductor in wall speaker wire and dressed it up with heat shrink tubing, flexible braided covering, and banana plugs. Have been very happy with it. To keep cost down you certainly dont have to dress it up, the 14 guage 4 conductor can be had for pretty cheap on partsexpress.com. Since its 4 conductor all you do is pair two ends together on each end and presto. I can give more details if needed.

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by spyboy
              Those wires which bought in bulk has a price for 50'/100' etc. Let's say he wants a 50' roll for less than $50.
              Unlike made cable(like CAT or Bluejean) they would be in totally different price measurement
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• RH Customs
                • May 2006

Ya I know the price point probaly needs to at least double I'm looking to upgrade. I will need 8ft for the left and right and about 5ft for the center, and about 30ft feet each for the rears. I would like to keep it under $100 not including connectors. I hope this will expand my options.

Thanks

RH

Comment

• RH Customs
                  • May 2006

Would this be a good choice Belden 5T00UP (Gray jacket, 10 AWG)?

[cable link nuked by admin. Can talk about it, but not direct link to site.]

Thanks

RH

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

part of the reason for upgrading speaker cables is to upgrade to a professional cable. I'm sure the XT speaker wire you are using is oxygen free copper, and as far as the wire alone, outside of changing the gauge, at this level, your not going to accomplish much by throwing 40.00 more dollars at it. I looked and 100 feet of XT cable runs 60 bucks. the more expensive XT HP or some such is like 100 bucks. But what's it going to gain you at this level? Probably nothing.

IF you'd like some banana connectors, I have some I can sell you, that are not expensive, you could just keep the wire you have and upgrade the connectors. But if your expecting a performance difference in 60.00 speaker wire and 100.00 speaker wire, I'm afraid you'd be in for a downer. The difference probably just won't be there-

Doug
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• RH Customs
                      • May 2006

Hmm that is true. I use the monster banana quick locks. So maybe I will just stick to what I have.

RH

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"