X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crytklmass
    • Dec 2008

2 vs 4 wire speaker cable

I have decided I want to upgrade my current Audioquest speaker wire, I think it may be my speaker wire causing some harsh sound from my speakers. I listened to a pair of B&W 802d's today with Transparent speaker cable and was able to hear a difference. Of course there speaker wire was about 10 inches thick and more than I'll consider spending. My current speaker wire is bi-wired on one end. 4 inputs on one side and 2 for the amp. IS there really a difference between speaker wires having just 1 black and 1 red end V.S. 2 red and 2 black ends (bi-wire). Would you get the same effect if you used the jumper cables that come with the speakers? to make fake bi-wire. ( to still use all 4 speaker connectors). I noticed they were using the B&W jumpers and only using 2 wire transparent speaker connections.
    So, will the result be the same using the bi-wire terminal jumpers as using bi-wire speaker cables? Just wondering because there is a price difference between 2 and 4 ends. I hope this makes sense, p.s. I want to purchase speaker new speaker wire, any suggestions? without breaking my bank.
    2 10 foot runs and 1 8 foot run. Just kinda confused if i should buy bi-wire or use the jumpers. If there is no difference in sound I cant justify the expense. HELP! I'M SPEAKING IN TONGUES :M
    BOB
  • dtb300
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by crytklmass
    IS there really a difference between speaker wires having just 1 black and 1 red end V.S. 2 red and 2 black ends (bi-wire).
    Only you can determine if the difference in sound is there or not. Some will say yes there is a difference, some will say no, so again it is up to you. Yes it is this simple...set your budget, try some cables in that budget, see if you hear a difference.

If there is no difference in sound I cant justify the expense. HELP! I'M SPEAKING IN TONGUES :M
    See, you answered your own question about cables.

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by dtb300
      Only you can determine if the difference in sound is there or not. Some will say yes there is a difference, some will say no, so again it is up to you. Yes it is this simple...set your budget, try some cables in that budget, see if you hear a difference.

See, you answered your own question about cables.

well said!!!! i am using straight wire rhapsody s
      GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• TommyV
        • Feb 2007

The jumpers are not bi wiring. You need 4 separate cables coming from two independent channels of amplification for EACH speaker from bi wiring. That is 4 channels of amp for 2 speakers. 4 conductor wire would make this convenient and cleaner looking. I suggest purchasing some 14 or 12awg Belden 4 conductor wire to biamp your speakers. From my experience, Belden makes the best speaker wire and right here in the USA. That is all I use.

Resources and solutions for structured wiring, smart home, home automation, home wiring panels, systems, DIY networking kits, and Residential Wiring Cables - Cat5e / RG6

You may be able to find it cheaper and in shorter lengths.

Here they have a Canare 14/4 they can cut and even terminate to length for you. Never used Canare but I hear good things.

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TommyV
          The jumpers are not bi wiring. You need 4 separate cables coming from two independent channels of amplification for EACH speaker from bi wiring. That is 4 channels of amp for 2 speakers. 4 conductor wire would make this convenient and cleaner looking. I suggest purchasing some 14 or 12awg Belden 4 conductor wire to biamp your speakers. From my experience, Belden makes the best speaker wire and right here in the USA. That is all I use.

Resources and solutions for structured wiring, smart home, home automation, home wiring panels, systems, DIY networking kits, and Residential Wiring Cables - Cat5e / RG6

You may be able to find it cheaper and in shorter lengths.

Here they have a Canare 14/4 they can cut and even terminate to length for you. Never used Canare but I hear good things.
          That's bi-amping.

Bi-wiring is one amplification source split to two sets of posts. Electrically speaking, bi-wiring is the same as using the jumpers. Bi-wiring uses more cable, therefore more expensive to implement, and by audiophile definition, of course sounds better.
          Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

Ahh I assumed they were the same. I am only familiar with bi-amping so my apologies if I provided useless info.

Comment

• simonk
              • Apr 2009

I just bi wired my soundsystem yesterday (2 channel - B&W 703's , NAD370 amp, DACmagic using a DENON 1930 as transport). I used Chord Carnival cable. I think it has improved sound quality but not markedly. The extra copper wire must make some difference.

I have them bi wired as noted above ie to the same amplification source (speaker A only). Can someone advise me if there will be a benefit in having one set of wires going to speaker A terminal and the other set going to speaker B ..??

thanks in advance

simonk

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TommyV
                Ahh I assumed they were the same. I am only familiar with bi-amping so my apologies if I provided useless info.
                That's a good thing. Bi-amping is a good way to power speakers if you can afford the extra amplifiers. Bi-wiring is more of a gimmick to sell cables. Nothing wrong with it if you have the cable, but it's technically no different than using the jumpers between the posts.
                Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

Im using older AudioQuest type 4. Ive wanted to upgrade also....
                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• aweil
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by littlesaint
                    That's a good thing. Bi-amping is a good way to power speakers if you can afford the extra amplifiers. Bi-wiring is more of a gimmick to sell cables. Nothing wrong with it if you have the cable, but it's technically no different than using the jumpers between the posts.
                    There is a SMALL electrical difference, but for short cable runs I would be surprised if you could hear it.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                      Bi-wiring is more of a gimmick to sell cables. Nothing wrong with it if you have the cable, but it's technically no different than using the jumpers between the posts.
                      That is certainly my experience.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"