home theater, everything but the speaker wire....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • statik
    • Feb 2005

home theater, everything but the speaker wire....

All of my home theater purchasing is done. everything but the speaker wire is ready to go. I will be running 120watts per channel (denon 3805) through some polks. front channels wire length will be 25feet, center 25 feet, rears 15 feet.
    do I need 12gauge wire? 14 gauge wire? or even 10awg?
    any suggestions at all? monster xphp stuff fine?
    there is definately not alot of talk about speaker wire. every other piece to my home theater I was able to completely research, but the cable seems to be a mystery.
    any tips/advice would be great.
  • soldonandy
    • Mar 2005

From what I can tell, all cable talk is banned here, one of their sponsors is a cable vendor and they (HTGuide) tries to squelch any cable discussions. Partly because it's a "no win" debate and partly I think because of the forum's relationship with the vendor. I have seem a few guys try to start conversations and some moderator will step in and harshly point out that cable debates aren't allowed. For this reason, I won't be able to get away with helping you out but let me say that you will find many sites that will openly engage in cable discussion. Moreover, you can type in "snake oil" on a search engine and get plenty of info about cables. There are basically two camps of thought, believers and non-believers. The believers feel that cables have sonic signatures and believe that they hear differences among cables. The non-believers feel that cables are scientifically not capable of sounding different and most ordinary, well-constructed cables sound the same. A cables job is to get sound from point A to point B without effecting the sound. My advice is to buy inexpensive but well-made 14-16 gauge wire and invest any surplus of funds into other components.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by soldonandy
      From what I can tell, all cable talk is banned here, one of their sponsors is a cable vendor and they (HTGuide) tries to squelch any cable discussions.
      Just to clarify, the sponsor/s you talk of is not a vendor but the "OWNER" of the HOME THEATER GUIDE.

QUOTING >>> Partly because it's a "no win" debate and partly I think because of the forum's relationship with the vendor. I have seem a few guys try to start conversations and some moderator will step in and harshly point out that cable debates aren't allowed. END OF QUOTE

I AM QUITE SURE THAT THE RULES WERE LAID OUT AND THE OWNER HAD INTRODUCED HIMSELF TO YOU.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however every place you go will have rules by which such place is governed. The cable rule is not to discourage any-one but placed out of respect to the owner/s.

THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO EXPORE AND TO ENJOY HERE. Hope this helps. :T
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• statik
        • Feb 2005

umm, well I looked at all of the cat cables, and thats not what I am looking for.
        so......hooray

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by statik
          umm, well I looked at all of the cat cables, and thats not what I am looking for.
          so......hooray
          Ok.....?

So what are you looking for? Cat makes good quality stuff at reasonable prices. Are you looking for something other than that?!?! 8O

If you just want something cheap that will work go to Home Depot and pick up some 12-14 gauge wire and be done with it. Other than that Cat cables is where'd I'd be getting better quality stuff personally.
          Jason

Comment

• soldonandy
            • Mar 2005

Two things, even if I didn't bother to read who owns what when I joined, I still got the point across to the gentleman that you don't like cable discussions. Secondly, if the "sponsor" is also a seller, then they are a vendor.

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however every place you go will have rules by which such place is governed. The cable rule is not to discourage any-one but placed out of respect to the owner/s.

THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO EXPORE AND TO ENJOY HERE. Hope this helps. :T[/QUOTE]

AMEN! While out of respect for whose house we are talking in, (Lex's) we stay away from non-cat cables as far as brand discusions/Recomendations. One can not get upset if you go to some one elses house and they will not let you cuss around there kids, or make you take your shoes off in the den. It is not personal, It is simply the house rule. This forum does however encourage, specs, cable lengths, gage requirements etc. And this is not the only HT forum out there.

The origonal post asked several questions...one of them being gage of wire needed? This is something that some one else might have needed to learn from. But instead of a bunch of people weighing in on this we have what we have now, :evil:

About the origonal post, we are talking Denon 3805 and Polk speakers I think... So we are not talking Classe and B&W 800D! :drool: (Heard them this weekend! ;x( Oh yeah about my point.... ( I was remebering the sound I heard this week end, but I am back now ) I own a 3805 and IMHO 14awg of good quaility will be fine. I do not think that you will need to spend 200 bucks for speaker wire. ( I have NO idea what CAT cables cost by the way, have not checked out the site) But my point is You have good speakers, with a good Amp. Get good Speaker wire.

Classe and B&W...OUTSTANDING, TOP OF THE LINE, get TOP of the line wire..
              But that is me.

and I do not recomend going to Home Depot or Lowes and buying thier wire for your speakers. :rofl: :lol: I got a laugh out of that. :lol:

Once again good coments pat!
              Last edited by Snap; 03 April 2005, 22:30 Sunday. Reason: Forgot something
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Neal_C
                • Feb 2003

14 guage should be just fine.

The speaker wire and cable debate will go on forever. If more expensive wire or cable is in your budget, then get it. If it isn't, well then you don't have much choice but to buy inexpensive wire and cables. I won't be scared to say that my speaker wire comes from Home Depot and works just fine with my Rotel/Def. Tech setup. It fit my budget.

Comment

• statik
                  • Feb 2005

I bought this for now, its 12awg and 100feet just like I needed.
                  cant see it being bad, and if it is then I will try something else.
                  take a look if you care.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"