same lenght for speaker wires? what guage? any brand suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deucelee
    • Nov 2008

same lenght for speaker wires? what guage? any brand suggestions?

hey guys, i'm ready to start buying some speaker wires...

i got a onkyo 805 coming and will be building a set of RS WMTW centers and WWMT's for the fronts with a set of medula MT's for the rears...

my receiver is about 50 and 40 feet from the fronts, 45 feet from the center, and 12 feet from the rears...

i heard i should have the exact lenght of the speaker wires for all of the channels, any truth to this?

I'm thinking 14 gauge should be plenty for 130 watts, anyone think otherwise?

i'm actually thinking about getting these 12 guage instead of the 14 gauge cus hell, it's actually cheaper ($30.99 vs. 36.26)...any other suggestions?

from the looks of it, it looks like more people are pissed at the fact that they don't come in the correct lenght then the actual performance of the wires...on the 14 guage reviews, one guy said it had around 200 strands..."The RadioShack wire had all of 19 strands whereas this METRA (14 guage) wire has nearly 200 strands."

i guess the bigger question is the same lenght question...thanks guys!
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I read about that "same length" thing somewhere but can't recall where. My theater is 17 feet long by 14 feet wide and I have FCR speakers, two subs up front and two rear speakers on side walls, and two on back wall. I have tried to keep the speaker wires the same length, though they may vary by an inch or so. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference with varying length. As for speaker wire gauge, I use 12 gauge, which I would recommend for length rather than the number of watts your receiver has.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• deucelee
      • Nov 2008

hey thanks for your input george...

i heard about keeping your guage the same through out too...

ofcourse preferably, i'd rather not keep them the same lenght as the rears are so much closer to my receiver then my fronts and center is...

unless anyone strongly urge not to, i'll pull the trigger on those raptor wires...

anyone else with something to say about the wire lenghts?

thanks.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by deucelee
        i heard about keeping your guage the same through out too...of course preferably, i'd rather not keep them the same lenght as the rears are so much closer to my receiver then my fronts and center is...unless anyone strongly urge not to, i'll pull the trigger on those raptor wires... anyone else with something to say about the wire lenghts? thanks.
        Shorter the better especially for front and center also check out Canare cable that is what they use in every recording and broadcasting studios.
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Shorter is better as there will be less resistance but there is no need for identical lengths. As long as the gauge is adequate for the longer length and the difference is less than a kilometer, you are OK.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• deucelee
            • Nov 2008

thanks guys...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"