X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlennG
    • Oct 2004

Need Advise For The Purchase Of A Surge Protector

I am in the market for a new surge protector, it doesn't matter the cost, I need something that will guarantee the protection of my equipment. If anyone has knowledge please give me some advise.
    Thanks
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I don't have one of theirs myself, but Brickwall seems to be the one to get. Some of Monster's stuff seems to be grabbing market-share, also.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

You'll find that most guarantees are worth the cost of the paper they're printed on. They'll have so many escape clauses that collecting on them is next to impossible.

Absolutely nothing protects against a direct lightning hit.

IMO a wholehouse protector is where you should start. Then use independent protectors for clusters of components. Furman has a new line of rackmount units that like the Brickwall are Series Mode Proectors. PE has pretty good pricing on the Furman products

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

A whole house surge protector installed at the braker box (or outside at the meter if your electric company provides that service) is definitely a good investment. Not only does it protect your HT stuff, but everything electronic in your house as well.

I use a whole house unit along with a Monster 3600.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

You'll find that most guarantees are worth the cost of the paper they're printed on. They'll have so many escape clauses that collecting on them is next to impossible.
          Having friends that have used the Panamax and Monster warranties quite a bit, I would tend to disagree with this sentiment.

Comment

• taz13
            • Jun 2004

Absolutely nothing protects against a direct lightning hit.
            Rewrite
            Absolutly nothing we can afford protects against a direct lightning hit.
            At work the advice we give to our customers is unplug what you don't want to lose if there is a lighting storm in the area. Myself I gamble and have a quality surge protection system that may or may not protect me. I also know full well what lightning can do as our system here(utility power grid) is a big lightning magnet and is a pain in the summer(trips generating units). Without utility grade (read- big and expensive) lightning protection a direct lightning hit in your power block is going to do a number on you.

Rick
            The day is not complete if something new is not learnt.
            Taz/Rick/Richard/Ricardo

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"