X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mshock
    • Mar 2005

Newbie needs advise

I purchased the RSX-1056 two days, and love the sound quality. On the first day i installed it on the floor to listen to, and decided to keep it. Yesterday i moved it into my entertainment center and turning it on, the receiver automatically turned off and smoke came out of the receiver. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. I installed the new one late last night, and everything sounds great, but there is a problem and i hope some of you may be of some help.

First i have:

B&W LCR60, 602's v3, ASW600, and Cambridge sound works surrounds.

After installing it last night and listening to it at a pretty low volume (around 30-35), the background hiss was really noticeable. There was a slight background hiss with the first one, but not as bad.

The first one had the firmware 1.1.9 and the new one has 1.1.7. It can't be a firmware issue right?

I changed surge protectors. The old one was a Monster PowerCenter HTS800 ($80), and the new one is a Monster PowerCenter HTS1000 ($150). Is there a possibility of the $150 surge protector not being as good as the $80 one?

---------------------
    On a another subject:

Is Digital Coax cables better than Toslink?

Thanks
    Watching my Patriots win their Third Super Bowl in Four years on HD and 5.1 surround .... Priceless!
  • OakIris
    • Dec 2003

Do a search on "Rotel hiss;" this seems to be a problem with some units. I have not experienced it with my Rotel equipment so I can not help you.

Comment

• mshock
      • Mar 2005

I've been researching this forum for the last few days, and the only solution people are coming up with is a grounding issue.
      Watching my Patriots win their Third Super Bowl in Four years on HD and 5.1 surround .... Priceless!

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

First of all congrats on the new receiver.I also have the rsx1056 w/ B&W.I have the 603s3 w/lcr600 center.The hiss has been an aparent problem with alot of the units i understand.I dont have the problem as of yet with mine.I've had mine for about 3 mos.I also dont have the latest firmware either.I believe mine is 1.1.4 cant recall right now.I've brought up the issue maybe its the firmware upgrades that have caused the hiss dont really know.Some are also more audible than others.As i recall some people hear asmall hiss on the surrounds if they get right up to it at low volume but once something is played at an audible level they dont hear it.

Comment

• mshock
          • Mar 2005

Thanks, eventhough my first 1056 burnt out, and the second one has a slight hiss i'm not discouraged at all with Rotel. Rotel still sounds the best! I just want to know if there is anyway to reduce the hiss or get rid of it. If not i don't plan on getting rid of it because Rotel Rocks! =)

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

Just realized i do get the crackling or hiss in digital mode.I just called rotel and spoke w/tech support and they are going to call my dealer and arrange to swap out my receiver for another one.Apparently it has to do with sometype of "chip".Apparently it's not that audible which is why i never paid any attention to it before when in use.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

mshock, some of these posts have mixed symptoms. Hiss, is a high frequency wich can be heard through the tweeters and maybe at the mids depending upon you're speakers. Many cheaper cosumer shot components don't address this as well as a quality component. Grounding issues will 99.9% of the time be an audible humm. You will actually hear 60 cycle (in the states) noise. Many times in the past "sounds" have been thrown in a hat and people take off chasing their tails. Many of these issues can be addressed with power conditioners, cable routings, common grounding or isolating grounds. The first step is to identify the sound, then isolate the root cause, piece by piece, then it can be addressed.
              Last edited by soundhound; 03 March 2005, 07:31 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"