Power conditoner/surge protect. decision ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Power conditoner/surge protect. decision ?

I dont have one at this time so i'm asking if anyone could advise me between 2 units the Belkin PureAv PT31 or the Panamax 5100.Both of these units are in my price range.I'm currently using a strip surge protector.Would like to benefit from a good unit.FWIW i do sometimes get momentary power surges here in miami,fl.Would appreciate the help.thanks
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

What's the cost on those?
    Jason

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

They are approx 350.00.Maybe a little less.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Do they do any voltage regulation and/or brown out protections as well? If not I'd say there's better options.

Either get a unit the does voltage regualtion and brown out protection as well as surge protection for the same money or pay an electrician to add whole house surge protection and run dedicated lines to your HT gear.
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Check out this thread for more info

Jason

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

I'm not sure about the volt.regulator.What is "brown out".

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Both products have good specs, including overvoltage/undervoltage shutdown and seem to be worth about the $350.00 asking price.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

With that info I'd get the Panamax as well. I'll reccommend a look at APC's HT products as well as you could likely get something of equal quality for less money

Brown outs are the opposite of power surges basically. You're supposed to have a constant 110V but ocassionally that jumps higher (surge) or dips lower (brown out). Both can damage equipment.

Noise reduction helps if you have to share the line with other components. Most outlets will have additional outlets connected to them in a chain back to your box. Add enough components in, especially ones that tend to add electrical "noise" to the line, and you can end up with a pretty messy signal. That's were noise filtering comes in handy or even better a dedicated line that has no other connections to allow noise in in the first place
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"