X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark4x4
    • Jul 2004

Using a stereo preamp for HT...help please

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to use my front mains for HT and 2 channel stereo. I've been using a Yamaha 2400 A/V receiver for my HT. As my interest in stereo became more apparent, I purchased a Aragon 8008 MKII amp. I'm using the pre outs on my Yamaha for my amp to power my front mains. I know that there are some newer preamps that have a HT pass through which allows the use of my Yamaha for HT using the front mains and then allows you to switch to stereo and still use the front mains.

I have a chance to buy a Classe stereo preamp from a friend of mine at a geat price. My question......Can I use this stereo preamp for HT without switching cables for my front mains? If I can, how would everything be connected so I can use my front mains for HT and stereo?

I have a DVD player for HT and a CD player for stereo. MY thought was to set up to two complete systems, one for HT and the other for stereo. I have another set of speakers but they are not near the sound quality of my current front mains.

I would appreciate any advice in this matter.
    As always thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    mark4x4
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

Pre amp w/home theater pass-thru

Hi Mark,
    I was in the same boat as you when I wanted to use one system for stereo and HT, with high quality 2 channel playback.

I ended up getting a Krell Kav250p 2-channel pre amp that has a home theater pass thru capability. I use my Outlaw 950 prepro for movies, I feed my main outs from the outlaw into the Krell pass thru. This basically defeats the voume control on the Krell so that the Outlaw can control the volume for all the speakers.

I use 3 amps in my system:
    Krell Kav250a for mains
    Outlaw M200 for the center
    Adcom GFA535 for my surrounds

It is a littler cluttered using 2 preamps and 3 amps, plus all the source equipment. But the sound is very good.

You can use your Yammie for your center and surround speakers, and use the Aragon for your mains. I have heard of some people using an auxilliarry in on there 2 channel pre to get the signal from their receiver or HT pre. But if the 2 channel pre does not have home theater pass thru, then you will have to ballance both volumes.
    Best Regards,
    Jeremy

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Another preamp which supports pass through with fixed gain is the Ayre K5x.

Many preamps "could" be used in this mode, but the problem would be getting repeatable gain settings for the front mains, as you'd have to set the volume control to a reference point. One way to do this would be to calibrate your levels with your receiver, then run the pre out from the receiver into one of the preamp inputs, and run up the preamp volume until it matches the levels generated for original calibration- then make note of this as the volume setting to use in "HT mode". That's something of a work around, but would expand the selection of preamps you might be able to use. Including your friend's Classe.

Good luck getting things sorted out to your satisfaction!

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bruce
        • Aug 2000

Mark,

What John is suggesting is what I've been doing for the last 5 years. I use a Parasound 1100D Stereo Direct preamp for all my 2-channel listening. It's L&R outputs connect to the amps that power my Front main L&R speakers (Dynaudio Contour 2.8 towers). It doesn't have an "HT bypass" or "unity gain" switch.

I take the L&R preouts of my HT processor (like your Yamaha) to an AUX input on the Parasound preamp.

I found that the 12 o'clock position of the Parasound preamp's volume control is essentially the unity gain position (i.e. no attenuation or amplification of the source signal). My CD player, TT, and FM tuner are also connected to the Parasound preamp.

The Parasound preamp's 12 o'clock volume position is where I do the HT processor's speaker calibration for all speakers.

This way I only have the HT processor and DVD player turned on when watching HT otherwise they are turned off.
        Bruce

Comment

• mark4x4
          • Jul 2004

Thanks for the great information. You guys answered my question and then some.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.
          Regards,
          mark4x4

Comment

• mark4x4
            • Jul 2004

I need help again. Is there a way that I can hookup my subwoofer so it can be used for both HT and stereo. I now have my sub hooked up to the LFE output on my receiver which won't enable me to use it in stereo mode and if I use the output on my preamp to sub then I would not have it for HT.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks in advance,
            mark4x4

Comment

• Bruce
              • Aug 2000

Mark,

I've been using my sub with my main towers for the last 5 years in the following configuration:

1) HT Processor L&R preout --> 2-channel preamp L&R AUX input
              2) 2-channel preamp L&R output --> Marchand XM9-L electronic crossover
              3) electronic crossover L&R mains output (high-pass) --> L&R mains amp input
              4) electronic crossover L&R sub output (low-pass) --> L&R powered sub(s) input

The important note about this Marchand electronic crossover is that it uses 24dB/octave (4th order Linkwitz-Riley) filters, which are relatively steep slopes, in a symmetrical fashion for both the high-pass and low-pass sides of the crossover. This is much different from the setup inside most HT processors.

This means all signals leaving the 2-channel preamp outputs are split between main speakers and sub(s), i.e. 2-channel and HT both use the sub.

Note:
              I have the sub's internal crossover turned off, and I have the HT processor's speaker setup configured as follows:
              Mains=Large
              Sub=No (the Sub-output jack on the HT processor is empty)
              center=small
              surrounds=small

FYI:
              It is a Dolby requirement (sepcification) that all HT processors will re-direct bass from small speakers as well as the LFE bass to the main speakers (set to Large) if Sub=No is specified in the speaker setup menu.

I might add that I don't need to adjust sub levels between the 2-channel and HT sources, because everything is in balance for my listening position.
              Bruce

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

With the exception that my preamp has a by-pass circuit; I use exactly the same arrangement Bruce uses. (this includes use of a Marchand XM9).

As far as I know this is the only way to solve this problem.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mark4x4
                  • Jul 2004

Thanks, that answers my question.

Do you have any idea of how much the Marchand would cost?

Thanks again,
                  Regards,
                  Mark4x4

Comment

• mark4x4
                    • Jul 2004

Disregard my last question. I found the answer. Gotta look before you leap.............

Comment

• Bruce
                      • Aug 2000

IIRC, it was ThomasW who pointed me to the Marchand site in the fiirst place about 5 years ago, although it wasn't on this forum (it didn't exist then).

Thanks Thomas!!!!
                      Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"