X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofil
    • Dec 2003

ROTEL stereo pre-amplifier RC-1090

I know this Forum is for the Home Theater, but I want very to know the comments of you for the pre-amplifier of ROTEL RC-1090 (1,800$ CAN)!

In the province of Quebec (canada), any stores have this pre-amplifier in stock or demo! Their explications is this product is not so good in comparaison other pre-amplifiers in the same price range. I doudt very much of this! I'm sure, for 1,800$ CAN, this pre-amplifier it will be very much tough to beat.

And I would want a combo RC-1090 and RB-1090. His price tag for this combo is 4,800$ CAN and it will be a combo killer, for me, I'm sure of that!

Of course, THE ABSOLUTE SOUND magazine, in the december 2003 edition, named the ROTEL RC-1090 (1,200$ US) their best pre-amplifier between 1,000$ US and 2,000$ US!

For a stereo pre-amplifier 'not so good' for 1,200$ US or 1,800$ CAN, it really outstanding!

Your comments it will be very appreciate...
  • audiofil
    • Dec 2003

Anybody have comments on this unit? :roll:

I'm sad...

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Our speaker demo wall was controlled by a RC-1090 & RB-1090 combo fed by a RCC-991 and it had to be one of the sweetest sounding stereo setups I've heard in that price range.

We've since moved to a RC-1070 and RCC-1055 combo to get some product that's cheap enough to sell in our market. I do miss the higher-end setup..

Kevin D.

Comment

• audiofil
        • Dec 2003

Thank you very much, KEVIN D, for your excellent comments! I will sleep on that!

Anyboby else have listen this pre-amplifier or this combo?

Comment

• eelco74
          • Dec 2002

Hi,

In stereo, a german magazine, they compared 4 brands of pre-amps with 4 AV-pre-amps.

The 1066 was tested very well, and in stereo even better than the RC-1090.

Don't get me wrong, but the rc-1090 is better than the rc-1070. But apperantly not that mutch better to beat the 1066. And stereo is a very serious magazine.

btw also other AV-preamps seem to do better in other brands. Only Cyrus had a better pre-amp than AV-preamp I believe.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
          Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
          Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• audiofil
            • Dec 2003

Thanks EELCO74!

Anyboby else?

You, ANDREW PRATT, you seems know the ROTEL's products very well so, do you have comments on the RC-1090?

Comment

• audiofil
              • Dec 2003

Yoohoo, Andrew Pratt, you are there?

Comment

• Pilroy
                • Oct 2003

Hi Audiofil,

I own a RSP-1066 and have compared it as stereo pre-pro with a RC-1090, a RSP-1098 and a Harman Signature 1.0. Player was a RCD-1070, amp a RB-1080.

To my ears, the RC-1090 is slightly better than the 1098 and much much bettter than the 1066. The harman sounds different (not better than the 1090 for me).

Only my own opinion.

Pit.

Comment

• fletcher32
                  • Jan 2004

Hi Pilroy,

I too own a RSP1066 and very interested in stereo comparison against RSP1098; which speakers, source components and cables did you use?

Thanks.

Comment

• audiofil
                    • Dec 2003

Thank you very much, PILROY, for your comments for the RC-1090!

I want to know if you would able to put a score on ten (10) for your appreciation for the four products in quality in stereo (only) and the best product will have a score of ten?

As exemple:

RSP-1068: 3/10
                    RSP-1098: 7/10
                    HK 1.0: 9/10
                    RC-1090: 10/10

I woul like very much to know your score!

Did you also heard à RB-1090 and made a comparaison with others amplifiers?

Because I want to buy à combo pre-amplifier-amplifier (RC-1090 and RB-1090) for a price of 4,800$ CAN (3,200$ US) and I want to know if it worth this price or not...and if it will be more safe to see elsewhere for the same price or spent more money for buy products for a more hi-fi company?

Comment

• Pilroy
                      • Oct 2003

Hi,

sorry for my late reply but I am a french speaking guy and not so active here as on other european forums (like www.homecinema-fr.com).

Between the lines, Andrew, I read you since 2002 and have only 2 words for your work at Club Rotel: respect + thank you!

@ fletcher32, the stereo comparison between the pre-pros was with RCD-1070, RB-1080 (I own one) and german Quadral Aurum 90 speakers. I didn't pay attention to the cables (I mean interconnect were Kimber Hero or PBJ).

@ audiofil, I would "stereo"-rate the rc-1090 10/10, 1098 9/10, 1066 5/10, HK 1.0 6/10 ? (last one difficult to rate 'cause it sounds really different).
                      I intend to sell my 1066 next summer and buy a 1098 (or 1068 ???) to improve my stereo sound.

For the amplifiers, I had two RB-1080 and two RB-1090 at home last year and listened at each at least for one week. Both RBs were a noticable improvement to my RMB-1095 in stereo (prepro was RSP-1066 already), I finally bought the 1080 because it integrates better with the 1095 in 5.1 configuration (sonic personnality, gain). As I was pleased with that rig, I didn't compare with higher grade audiophil products.

As a summary, I recommend the RSP-1098 as stereo pre-pro BUT with MY ears. I also really liked the 1090.

Go for some serious listening, give Rotel a try and trust your ears, the only ones that matter :-).

PS: You'll find my actual system in my profile.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"