Need help choosing new pre/pro - rsp1098/outlaw990/???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

Need help choosing new pre/pro - rsp1098/outlaw990/???

Hello, I need some input on selecting a preamp/processor for my home theater system. I have a merged 2-channel/home theater setup right now. Here is my current gear:
    - HK AVR430
    - PS3 80GB, Comcast HD Cable, Yamaha DVD player
    - Proceed PRE, PDP and CDD, AMP2
    - B&W 640's, LCR3 center and JBL rears.
    - Sony 42" 1080i LCD

I'm adding a Proceed AMP3 to the mix which will allow me to move up from the HK into a Pre/Pro. My budget for the processor is $1000.

Since my only hi-res input device right now is the PS/3, the capability for the processor to decode TrueHD and Master Audio are not necessary. I have no problem being a bit behind the curve. In fact, I would rather have a higher end/higher performance unit with lesser capabilities.

Audio performance of first and foremost with me. If a processor had outstanding 2-channel audio performance that met or exceeded my Proceed PRE, then I'd consider selling the PRE. I have read in many forums of people suggesting for the best 2-channel performance, to keep your stereo pre-amp in the picture, and I'm very happy with my Proceed preamp.

Right now, the HK is doing component switching between DVD and HD cable. The PS3 runs HDMI into the TV for video and Toslink to the HK for audio. If I got a better picture from cable over HDMI and did all video switching in the receiver, I'd consider this, but this not a priority.

Models I'm considering (in no particular order):
    Outlaw 990
    - Likes: balanced outputs, 30-day in home no-risk trial, new equipment warranty, price
    - dislikes: DVI instead of HDMI, but I probably won't use these.

Rotel 1098
    - My B&W dealer is also a Rotel dealer and he says this is an excellent match for my equipment. He has a 1098 demo unit 1098 available with the full Rotel warranty, but this is way out of my budget.
    - There appears to be a good supply of 1098's in the used market place ~$1000 price point. I'm concerned about the fact that the warranty is non-transferrable and I have read in some forums of people voicing concerns with failures.

Integra 9.8
    - likes: balanced, latest codecs, lot's of favorable comments in online forums on this model
    - dislikes: over budget

I appreciate your input and recommendations.
    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
    -Rotel: RSP-1069
    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

Follow-up...

After looking at the RSP-1069 once again, I'm thinking this would make more sense than the 1098 as I'd be able to get TrueHD/Master Audio out of the PS3 via HDMI 1.1. I really like the looks of the 1069 as well.

Someone on another site suggested that I check out the Integra 9.8 / Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P. These certainly look to have it all! And the reviews on these look really favorable. Does anyone here have any first hand comparison experience with a 1069/1098 and the 9.8/855 that could offer some input?

Thank you,

Tim

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I was going to suggest the 1069. Rotel might still have some on clearance. I compared it against the 1098 when I had it, and thought the 1069 just about equalled it in stereo and surpassed it in surround.

Kevin D.

Comment

• timjclark
        • Apr 2009

Hi Kevin,

That is good feedback. I'm thinking of keeping my current Proceed PRE in the mix for stereo anyway, so the 1069 looks like a good fit.

Given the relative prices between a closeout 1069 and a refurbished Onkyo 855 @ $799, I'm having a hard time thinking the 855 isn't the way to go. It is not as elegant as the Rotel, but it has all the latest and greatest features.

I don't want to shop 100% on features, but from what I've read, it seems a lot of people have moved from their Rotel gear to the 9.8/855 and feel this move was in improvement in performance. And the reviews for the 9.8/885 have been very good.

So Kevin, what do you use for a SSP currently?

Tim

Office system:
        -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
        -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
          • Feb 2007

Yea I say 1069 all the way if you can get one from a dealer with the warranty. If I had to choose between new outlaw 990 or used 1098, probably go 990. I say get a 1069 while you can. I love mine.

All the other pre/pros mentioned are gonna be much better than the 9.8/885 as far as 2ch and analog audio goes. If that does not mean much to you, I say you should definitely consider it.

Comment

• timjclark
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by TommyV
            Yea I say 1069 all the way if you can get one from a dealer with the warranty. If I had to choose between new outlaw 990 or used 1098, probably go 990. I say get a 1069 while you can. I love mine.

All the other pre/pros mentioned are gonna be much better than the 9.8/885 as far as 2ch and analog audio goes. If that does not mean much to you, I say you should definitely consider it.
            Hi Tommy!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm about 99% sure I'm going this route. My dealer can get me new stock 1069 for $899. I'm very happy with that price! I'm going to sleep on it one more night...

Thanks!

Office system:
            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
              • Feb 2007

Dude grab that up! I just paid $1,500 $1,150 for mine and jumped at that deal. Now you just made me feel bad, haha j/k.

I say don't even sleep on it. There is a saying "you snooze, you lose". There are not many of those left. I got one of the last couple 1075s in the US for $750 new from my dealer.
              Last edited by TommyV; 23 April 2009, 09:49 Thursday.

Comment

• timjclark
                • Apr 2009

Dude grab that up! I just paid $1,500 for mine and jumped at that deal. Now you just made me feel bad, haha j/k.

I say don't even sleep on it. There is a saying "you snooze, you lose". There are not many of those left. I got one of the last couple 1075s in the US for $750 new from my dealer.
                Based on the ease at which my dealer could still get A-stock, I suspect there are more than a few out there to be had. I slept good and will be ordering this morning. It sure is nice when we get the timing right on purchases like this, eh?

Office system:
                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                  • Feb 2007

Yes it is and I meant I paid $1,150 not $1,500. At that price I could not turn it down. For $899 that is a no brainer. I would be all over it. I would request it have the most up to date software and all that. I love my 1069 so far.

Comment

• timjclark
                    • Apr 2009

Yes it is and I meant I paid $1,150 not $1,500. At that price I could not turn it down. For $899 that is a no brainer. I would be all over it. I would request it have the most up to date software and all that. I love my 1069 so far.
                    Are the software updates user installable? I've been reading about so much stuff in the past couple of weeks, I forget how this one works.

My last "dilemma" is black or silver. Silver is classic Rotel, so I think that is the way I'm going. What color is yours? If it's black, could you send me a quick photo?

Cheers!

Office system:
                    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                      • Feb 2007

I'm Silver all the way baby!

Comment

• timjclark
                        • Apr 2009

Nice system Tommy!

Once I overhaul my setup, I'll have to post a picture. But here is a summary of changes to happening in the next two weeks:

Moving out
                        - HK AVR430
                        - Sanus 2-shelf TV stand

Moving In
                        - Rotel 1069
                        - Proceed AMP-3 (to go with my existing AMP-2)
                        - Sanus TV stand AFV-48b

Misc cabling changes.

Say, that is a very attractive TV Stand that you have. Did you make that or purchase it? Also, what speakers do you have?

Cheers!

Office system:
                        -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                        -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• timjclark
                          • Apr 2009

YEAH!!! My RSP-1069 is on order! Now the waiting begins...

Office system:
                          -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                          -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• TommyV
                            • Feb 2007

Just think I had that RMB-1075 shitting on a shelf like some sculpture art for over a week waiting on my 1069.

Oh almost forgot. Thanks for the compliment! My TV stand started as a prefab unit but I added the top part custom to accommodated my center speaker and support my TV. I also added some other mods like a back panel with cable routing for a cleaner look.

My speakers are B&W DM-601 S3 fronts, LCR 600 S3 center, ASW 600 and Axiom QS-8s rears (for now).

Comment

• timjclark
                              • Apr 2009

My Amp-3 three arrived on Saturday and I put that into the mix. My RSP-1069 arrived at lunch today and is staring at me from next to me desk here. I think I'm coming down with a cold and will need to go home shortly. *cough* *cough* :twisted:

Now the question is what movies to watch tonight to start the break-in process. Any suggestions?

As an aside, I watched the Aviator on BluRay last night and I'll probably throw that in for a while tonight. The part where they fire up the engines for the spruce goose was rather enjoyable!

Office system:
                              -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                              -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"