X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcwilson
    • Sep 2004

Yamaha RXV 2400 impedance

I have posted this questions on other reputable forum sites. Thought I'd try this one, too. I appreciate everyone's efforts in helping me solve this problem.

I have a Yamaha RXV 2400 that I am using to drive the following 7.1 speaker system:

2 JAMO D870 (front left and right)
    1 JAMO D8CEN (center)
    1 JAMO D8SUB
    4 JAMO D8SUR

According to the lit, the 2400 will handle 8 or 6 ohm speakers. However, the D870s and D8CEN are 4 ohm. I’ve noticed the receiver has shut down a couple of times with a “check wiring” message. This has only happened when the system is cranked during an (audially) intense scene. I assume this is due to the receiver being overwhelmed (?) by the speakers.

I can manually set my receiver impedance from 8 to 6 ohms. It is currently defaulted to 8 ohms. 6 is the lowest (best) setting. Any bets on whether this will help alleviate my shutdowns? I've read that you shouldn't manually switch the settings on this or any receiver. It's just something receiver manufacturers do to pass the UL testing. Any suggestions on a different receiver to use with my system? Or can I power the D870s and the D8CEN with a separate amp that is rated at 4 ohms? How difficult is that?

Thanks

Mark
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Sounds like the speakers are drawing more than the Yammie can giveup (hence the safe mode). That 6 ohm switch is going to step down the voltage so I wouldn't bother with that.
    The 2400 doesn't match up well with 4 ohm loads soooo....

You would be wise to get the front 3 off the Yamaha and on to a dedicated amp. Use the Yamaha as a pre/pro and to drive the rear section.

Or can I power the D870s and the D8CEN with a separate amp that is rated at 4 ohms? How difficult is that?
    Not hard at all since the 2400 is equipped with pre-outs.
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• mcwilson
      • Sep 2004

Gordon,

Can you suggest an amp for this setup? when you say use the Yamaha as a pre/pro, what exactly do you mean? I'm new. Can you suggest some reading material for a neophyte?

Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Best place I know is:

Home Theater Reviews for Systems and Audio Components - Audio Visual Product Reviews, Technical AV Guides, Home Theater Equipment and Product Reviews

specifically, here:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

The Yamaha makes as a nice PREamp/PROcessor

PreAmp = Volume and tonal control (since a dedicated amp has none.
        Processor = DSP's/ Surround formats etc...

Yammie is well known for their DSP's for movies (so you already have a decent processor....with that uber cool YAPO).

Now for an amp suggestion....there's so many to try and how the 2 work together is a lot of trial and error but I'd post the question in both the ROTEL and PARASOUND areas, list your budget for this sort of thing and see if one of those crazies has a suggestion, heck you might find someone with the same combo
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mark, absolutely switch your 2400 to the 6 ohm setting. That will help with the power-downs a good bit, although you may still experience some after longer workouts. And, the Jamo's may occasionally dip lower than 4 ohms, too depending on what they are trying to output. Before you do any further buying, do set the 2400 to 6 ohms and see if that gets you through.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"