Convince me to upgrade my Yamaha RXV-1400 for a Rotel 1056...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azsyno
    • Oct 2005

Convince me to upgrade my Yamaha RXV-1400 for a Rotel 1056...

I really want to go this route but I can't quite get there... especially since I just went out and bought a 1080 and 703's 6 weeks ago.

What brings me to this 'need' is the fact that in reading many of the threads on this forum, and listening to my YAM, I truly think I'm missing something from my system - a clean and 'upfront' soundstage. Combine that with the fact that I am missing a 12volt trigger for the 1080 (YAM doesn't have it), and the fact that I really like the sound of my 703's (which are now being powered by the new 1080).

My current system consists of:

B&W 703's in front
    B&W 602's in the rear
    B&W ASW600 Sub
    B&W 600 series Center
    Yamaha RXV-1400 (running the rears and center
    Rotel 1080 (running the fronts only)
    Marantz DVD (weak link in the system - but...)

I think the 1056 at 70 watts/channel will be a nice add to the Yamaha but... will it be enough power for the 602's and the sub?

Btw... I need a new sub (or, based on a recent thread here, I may need two) :cry: :P :roll:

So... convince me to do this. At ~$1100, will this be a cleaner solution? Will I enjoy the simplicity of the Rotel? The Yamaha is very complicated and has way too many set-ups.

I listen to this amp in 7Channel mode mostly... perhaps I'll enjoy another setting on the Rotel...

SELL ME. I'm ready, while the s/o isn't... Thoughts?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I was a previous Yami owner and went to separates, the change was well worth it.

My thoughts, try separates, perhaps the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075, since you really like rotel. Just my $.02.

Peace, blessings, and Happy Holidays,

Azeke

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

You will have plenty of power with the 1056 at much less than half the cost of the 1068/1075 combo. The 1056 has the same circuitry as the 1068 but costs less even with its stout five channel amp section which puts out a legit 75 wpc with all channels driven. Your speakers are not that hard to drive, I drive Martin Logan speakers with the Rotel and it does very well. If you later find you want more power, add a Rotel 1080 amp at 200 wpc to drive your mains and you still have less money in your setup than if you buy the separates with no loss in sound quality. In fact the 1080 is a much better amp for your L-R than the 1075.

Comment

• comeup
        • Jul 2005

have had many yamaha receivers in the past and i love the way they sound in home theater, but never liked they way they sounded with music always on the brite sounding side maybe the power amp helps. The Rotel will sound much more musical and still very good with home theater an the built quallity is second to none in its price range.
        Blake

Comment

• PavelL
          • Sep 2005

Do you use any of Yamaha's DSP modes? Like spectacle, adventure etc? Or do you watch movies straight? If you do then you are gonna miss them with rotel. If you're thinking of an upgrade, why not consider other Yamaha models, like Yamaha rxv4600 which is so feature-packed that it's a bargain/compaired to rotel IMHO/. 12v trigger, i-link for digital transmission of ALL the audio formats incl. SACD, DVD audio, etc. Room calibration etc.

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I used to have a yamaha 992 and upgraded to the rotel 1055. It was originally powering my 603's, and 604's. When I made the move to the 1055, I could tell an immediate difference in clarity. The best description I can give is that my 992 had a brown sound in comparison. I later upgraded the 603's to 805's, while still using the 1055 and was very happy.

I say, if you want the most out of your speakers, move to another brand. You might also want to look into sherwood newcastle. The only downfall to moving into higher end equipment is that it is behind in features. But then again, you arent buying it for the bells and whistles are you? you want the best sound...
            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• PavelL
              • Sep 2005

In fact some of the "bells and whistles" are crusial to music reproduction. Room equalization/calibration is one of them. Be it Rotel, Yamaha or classe, make sure you get it with your new purchase. I-link is another such "whistle" interface for jitterless data transfer from your player to a DAC. IMHO high-end processor should have i-link. Just my 0.02

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

The weakest link in your system is the subwoofer. Upgrading it would make the most impact. You aren't really tapping into the amp section of the reciever you are using so any change to a new receiver would be minimal IMHO. I mean you are only powering your center and surrounds and that's it.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"