X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LEVESQUE
    • Oct 2002

Denon 1910 vs Zenith DVB318...

I was able to try my new Denon 1910 and compare it with my LG7832 (canadian Zenith DVB318 clone). My LG was bought the 1st day it came out, and has the first firmware version, and I didn't perform any firmware upgrades on it.

-I find picture quality to be almost the same on both. On my Sony 40XBR800 they are like twin players to me. BUT, on my 110" screen, the Denon is a little bit less "noisy" and the background a little bit less "grainy". On a big screen, all those little flaws are getting emphazized.

-Over DVI, the Denon doesn't clip or crushes the whites like the LG. The LG does it badly over DVI, but doesn't do it at all over component. The new firmware upgrade for the LG should fix it... if I could find a LG tech that actually knows what a ''firmware upgrade'' is... No luck so far in my region or with the LG tech supoort... But loosing the ability to upscale through component with the new firmware upgrade can make this a real show-stopper for some... The 1910 does upscale only through the DVI connection, and this a still a BIG advantage of the LG over the Denon for those having ''older'' TV w/o a DVI connector.

-The Denon over DVI is a little bit "cleaner" at 720p then the LG over component at 720p. 1080i is pratically the same...

-The Denon has more accurate colors IMHO, and particularly doesn't exhibit the green push that I clearly see with the LG. My projector was calibrated by William Phelps, and the colors are dead-on at D65. This "green push" is really a known problem of the LG, with an easy already known solution: changing my color profile from ''HDTV'' to ''NTSC'''on my projector totally get rid of this green push. The Denon doesn't have this ''problem'' and look the same on both the HDTV and NTSC setting... But still, the colors are a little more ''accurate'' with the Denon.

The Matrix collection is a good test for the ''green push''...

-The blacks are a little better on the Denon, particularly with the possibility to change from 0 IRE to 7.5 IRE (we don't have that setting on the LG).

- My LG always loose sync with my projector over DVI and I have to close it often to have my projector show a picture... HDCP handshake problem maybe? The 1910 doesn't exhibit that problem at all.

-With the 1910, you can change the resolution ''on the fly'' even when playing a DVD... With the LG, you have to press stop then change the resolution. The Denon solution is a little bit easier.

-The 1910 passes pluge (blacker than black) over DVI and does not clip whites like the LG.

- The 1910 has custom picture controls (contrast, brightness, sharpness, colors and black level) for those who don't have independent memory on each of their display inputs.

-There doesn't appear to be a Y/C delay problem with the 1910 set to 480p, unlike the LG that is having some Y/C delay.

So far, I give the edge to the Denon. But I didn't try any 4:3 material (because I have only 3 or 4 titles in my over 800 titles collection...). I will probably try it tomorrow. So I can't comment on the ''squeeze'' option of the LG compared to the Denon.

On the 40" screen of my Sony 40XBR800, the PQ is pratically the same. But on my 110" with my projector, the Denon is a little cleaner and less grainy then the LG. But it's far from beeing something major. The overall PQ is almost the same when using the Denon with DVI at 720p and the LG with component at 720p.

When I will be able to get my hand on the firmware upgrade, I will be able to compare DVI with DVI on both. I did try it, but the whites are terrible in my system on the LG, so I went with the component upscaling.

Build quality is ''cheesy'' on both, particularly when sitting next to my Denon 5900. The Denon build quality is maybe a little bit better then the LG, but for 300$ cdn, we can't expect any major differences on that side of the story... The Denon looks a little bit better, particularly with the power button ''halo'' going from red to green when off and on.

And the remote of the LG is really bad. The 1910 remote is a little bit ''use'friendly''.

The layer change on the Denon seems a little bit faster then the LG, taking between 0.5 to 1 sec usually. It's slow compared to the Denon 2900 and the 5900 that are so fast... But what can you expect form 2meg buffers?

For me the price difference of around 100$ is not important, but for those on a budget, I would choose the LG (Zenith). But if you don't care about the small difference in price, the Denon is a little bit easier to use and the difference in PQ is so small only the most crazy videophile like me will notice those tiny little differences in the ''noisier'' background and the color dynamics and accuracy. So in 1 word, they look pratically the same... :T

I own both players and will use both on different displays, so there is no bias at all from me in this small review. I like both of them and will keep them both to use with my 2 other displays, and my 5900 will still be used with my main projector... :T

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by LEVESQUE; 05 September 2004, 13:32 Sunday.
    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Thanks for the info :T I'm sure they'll be a lot of interested folks along soon enough

Pretty much to be expected that the slightly costlier Denon would slightly out-perform the LG. Any difference on SQ between the two with DD/DTS or used as transports? How would you compare the 1910's upscaled PQ to the 5900's? Obviously I don't expect the 1910 to exceed the 5900 but is the PQ only 1/8 as good in comparison to the price?

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
      • Sep 2003

nice, thanks for that. Getting the 1910 soon, this put my mind at ease :T

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
      GameTracker -My List-
      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• LEVESQUE
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by aud19
        Any difference on SQ between the two with DD/DTS or used as transports?
        I don't hear any differences in SQ between those 2. I know some people are reporting an improved SQ with the Zenith with DTS/DD, but my pre/amp is upsampling (Anthem D1) those signals, so they sound the same to me, be it the 1910 or the Zenith. I always tought that bits are bits, and with the same quality of power supply, I don't really see how it could sound differently... But that's only my opinion.

Originally posted by aud19
        How would you compare the 1910's upscaled PQ to the 5900's? Obviously I don't expect the 1910 to exceed the 5900 but is the PQ only 1/8 as good in comparison to the price?
        On a 65'' screen or lower, I really think the diffferences are minimized because of the size of the screen. But on my 110'' screen, the background for the 1910 and LG is noisier then with the 5900. The built-in and adjustable Mosquito Noise Reduction algorithm of the 5900 can really make a big difference to tame that ''noise''. It's not the Algolith, but it's doing a pretty good job on my big screen.

On my Sony 40XBR800 and my Toshiba 34HF83, those 3 players all look the same, with a little bit ''sharper'' picture with the 5900. But nothing major. But on my big screen, the 5900 is shining with a sharper picture, better color dynamics and saturation, better blacks, and less ''grain'' or ''noise'' in the background. Plain and simple, a better picture overall. But ''normal'' people won't probably notice those differences, but crazy videophiles like us hanging-out here will clearly appreciate those minor differences yielding an overall better picture with the 5900.
        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
          • Sep 2003

the 1910 should put out an awesome picture to my 77" screen. I have to stop reading these threads, makes waiting worse :cry:

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by SpOoNmAn
            the 1910 should put out an awesome picture to my 77" screen. I have to stop reading these threads, makes waiting worse :cry:
            Oh no you don't, Spoon! You get right back in here and suffer with the rest of us. :

Nice review Alain. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
              Oh no you don't, Spoon! You get right back in here and suffer with the rest of us. :

Nice review Alain. :T
              :cry:

:T

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• number17
                • Jul 2004

I am anxious to see how the 1910 performs too. That said, I just want to point out the difference is NOT just ~ $100.

Here in Canada the LG7382 has gone on sale in a few stores and I got mine at Cdn$220, or $253 after tax. The Denon 1910 has an MSRP of $470, and the best price I've heard is $510 after tax. That more than doubles the price of the LG.

I don't doubt the 1910 is better, but I am skeptical it is 2 times better to justify its premium.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                  • Oct 2002

You are right number17.

I have paid my LG7832 199$ cdn and my Denon 1910 325$ cdn, and didn't look at the MSRP. I didn't knew the MSRP were so different...

Comment

• number17
                    • Jul 2004

Wow Levesque those are excellent prices. I thought $220 for the LG 7832 was already a very good deal ... and 1910 at $325 is a steal!

You gotta tell me your source!! You can PM me or send me messages ... I imagine they're in Quebec? I just hope they take on line / phone orders and ship to Ontario.

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                      • Sep 2003

noone by me has them yet :cry:

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I called my local dealer and he was telling me end of year! I told him about the forum discussions but he said that he heard this the other day. :cry:
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"