Is there any advantage to using DVI iwth CRT RPTV?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tubby
    • Feb 2005

Is there any advantage to using DVI iwth CRT RPTV?

I just bought a Denon 1910 DVD which has dvi output. It is hooked to a Toshiba 51HX83 RPTV. Is there any advantage to running a DVI cable. The dealer is telling me the componet video is better with an analog tv. I would appreciate any comments. By the way does anybody else own a 1910 ? How good is this DVD player for HT and music?
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

If you hook it up using the DVI cable the 1910 has "up Scaling" that up converts the picture to 720P or 1080i. I have the 2910 and I have it hooked up with Component cables.

The Up Scaling is the only reason that I can think of to spend the extra money on the DVI cable.

There have been people that have posted on the guide their comments about the quote on quote "up scaling"

1910 is a good little player for the Money. Denon makes a good solid product.

NOTE: Your manual has 'note *1" talking about HDCP stuff. and the DVI cable.

"No signal is output when a device with HDCP compliant DVI output is connected to a display that is not HDCP compiant. A display that supports HDCP must be connected to view this content via DVI"

Something to think about as well!
    Last edited by Snap; 04 June 2005, 09:06 Saturday. Reason: Forgot the note
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

I have the same set up except the 48" version of you're tv. I bought the cable, and went back to the component (That $125 could have been better spent). The picture is "better" thru components. The DVI is bright out of both the 1910 as well as our Samsung HD set top box. I see things that distract me in the picture with dvi while watching dtv or dvd's, artifacts? Not a video gurue so? The 1910 for $250 is a respectable little player for both video and music. I can tell good recordings from bad with it on cd's so that makes me think they did a good job.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

The short answer is that it depends on the players DVI vs component output, the quality of the DVI vs component cable and the TV's DVI vs component input and scaling. In other words the only way to tell with your player, cables and TV is to connect both options and judge for yourself. Try not to make any final judments on either connection until you've calibrated both inputs on your set with DVE or AVIA discs
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"