X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

The Hidden Theater

Since the center channel project did not start this fall while Steve Manning is getting SMJ fully operational I decided to install a door to close off the theater room. I didn't want just any type of door for this room, I wanted something that could hold Blu ray cases and make it look like there was nothing behind that cabinet holding Blu rays. For many years now I have been keeping an eye on Murphy Doors, and that is what I ordered to use for the hidden door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 21.07.15.png
Views:	272
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	927254

I ordered an door kit that would in-swing and would require assembly. Having to assemble the door myself saved about $400.00. The door was delivered in less than 3 weeks after placing the order. Photos to come as I progress with the installation.

Painter in training
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

So fancy, have you started work on installation already?
    - Danny

Comment

• theSven
      Master of None
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan
      So fancy, have you started work on installation already?
      You could say that...

Following the instructions, I first started with sanding, priming, and painting the door frame. Photos I forgot to take are what it looked like when I started. I had to remove a transition piece of tile and then cut the floor trim on the left to get the frame in. I used the same primer I have used for painting the cabinets and rolled that on. I used the Sherwin Williams black which is the same as what I painted the walls with.

Name:	doorFrameInTheater1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	696.5 KB
ID:	927261

Name:	doorFrameInTheater2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	861.2 KB
ID:	927262

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	927263

What I did learn is how un-level the basement floor is! The left bottom side is 1/4" higher than the right and I had to shim the right side to get it square. I did think about sanding down the concrete, but the amount of dust and mess that would have made prevented that. It did cross my mind though.

Note the ceiling above in the hallway, I had to add some new blocking above the frame, and that had some pockets installed to screw it in tight to the framing in the ceiling. I will get a new light mounted in the hall as well. That way the movies can be viewed without having to pull out a flashlight!
      Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
        Master of None
        • Jan 2014

After the frame went in I had to travel for a a week. Once I got back I started sanding and painting the cabinet. I used the same primer again and I chose to use the extra Sherwin Williams peach I had left from painting a bedroom.

Name:	cabinetPaint1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	770.1 KB
ID:	927265

Name:	cabinetPaint2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	861.8 KB
ID:	927266

With the pieces being rather big I used the basement and the living room to paint. On top of the painting I decided to seal and stain the front trim piece to the cabinet. I really liked how it turned out too!

Name:	cabinetPaint3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	795.5 KB
ID:	927267

Name:	cabinetPaint4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	927268

I put 1 coat of sealer and stain on. Then I put 3 coats of clear coat on and sanded with 1000 grit paper. It's silky smooth and I'm very happy with how this turned out! Next up was getting the cabinet assembled. That was a challenging process because I could have used some help to hold pieces. Oh well, lets keep that in mind for the next time I do this.
        Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Cool project Sven ..... looking good so far.
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

What's really cool is he has the perfect doorway for it. I'm uncertain how many modern homes would include this unless it was during the design phase of the home.
            - Danny

Comment

• theSven
              Master of None
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by technodanvan
              What's really cool is he has the perfect doorway for it. I'm uncertain how many modern homes would include this unless it was during the design phase of the home.
              These kits are great, you an retrofit any door in a house with this kit. I have been wanting to do this since 2007 when I purchased my first home, but never had the money as an E-4 in the USAF. Then I got out, worked a lot, moved a lot, and now 17 years later I finally have a house to do this.
              Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                Master of None
                • Jan 2014

The assembly started like any assembly would start, get the pieces lined up to start making the case.

Name:	cabinetAssemble1.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	843.3 KB
ID:	927314
                Lined up the top and bottom along with the middle shelf. The top and bottom are double thickness. The wood is mdf on the top and bottom with plywood in between. After these three pieces were in the general area the sides are up next.

Name:	cabinetAssemble2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	927316
                Notice the slot on the top of the side, there is a slot that the three pieces needed to slide down into. I was able to use my strength to get the left side one.

Name:	cabinetAssemble3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	788.4 KB
ID:	927315
                Clearly forgot to take a photo of installing the other side, but that happened and while it was laying on the side the clear coat was getting applied to the front trim piece. The cabinet went together nicely though, I wonder why they went with the metal inserts vs pockets and biscuits?

Name:	cabinetAssemble4.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	927317
                One the clear coat was applied and sanded with 1000 grit paper the small little wooden pegs were glued into the case. Next up is gluing the trim piece on.
                Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                  Master of None
                  • Jan 2014

The instructions called for putting wood glue around the top of the cabinet and then applying the trim piece. Everything did line up perfectly when the two pieces were mated.

Name:	cabinetAssemble5.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	927321
                  At this point it's the trim is glued and clamps should be applied. I don't have enough of one size of clamps so I used everything in the inventory that would work for the cabient.

Name:	cabinetAssemble6.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	740.8 KB
ID:	927323
                  The clamps were left on for 24 hours and then removed. I put wax paper under the clamps because I didn't want anything to stick or ruin the clear coat.

Name:	cabinetAssemble7.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	729.0 KB
ID:	927322
                  Clamps removed now that it has been 24 hours and I also inserted 2 2x4's because I wasn't sure if the other pieces I was using would hold up from the weight. The next step required flipping this thing over. Unfortunately no one was at the house that day to help. I was able to lift the cabinet off and then gently get it back on the stand by myself. It would have been much easier to do with a second set of hands.

Name:	cabinetAssemble8.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	927319
                  At this point I had to wait for my son to get home from school to hold the cabinet so I could slide the back board into the cabinet. Once he got home I was able to insert the back.

Name:	cabinetAssemble9.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	661.4 KB
ID:	927320
                  Next up was painting the outside black using the same paint as the theater walls with a soft sponge roller.
                  Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

I was in a bit of a rush to get the outside of the cabinet painted black during the week. My biggest wish was that the weather was warmer to have sprayed the paint on instead of rolling. I guess if this still bothers me that bad I can do that in the spring when it warms up enough to paint.

Name:	cabinetAssemble10.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	927378
                    The cabinet outside paining is completed and the hinges are mounted to the top and bottom of the cabinet.

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	927379
                    Foam to cut from sealing the door frame, and the carpet stretched back down nice and tight against the door jam. The door frame may look a little un-level, but that is the floor of the basement, that door frame is square which is critical for the door to open and close properly.

Name:	doorFrameInTheater3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	727.9 KB
ID:	927380 Another view from inside the theater of the carpet put back together. Notice a little white caulk on the left side of the frame? I need to paint that black still. Yes I did remember to use paintable silicon! I learned that lesson many years ago 😂.

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	815.6 KB
ID:	927381

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater4.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	927382
                    Installed the hinges on the door frame now for the door to be installed. Next step is to get the door installed and test how it fits!
                    Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                      Master of None
                      • Jan 2014

The moment I have been finally waiting for to get the door mounted!

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater5.jpg
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	927395
                      The door mounted or hung smoothly for the most part. I had to take it inside the theater and then seat it on the hinges. Getting the trip on the outside is going to be interesting. The trim that is sent in the kit is to large for the space left to work with the door mounted. My plan is to get some wood similar or the same if I can find it like the outer piece and install that instead. I can use the same stain and clear coat to make it look nice. I will need to rip the trim on the door to the right for the trim on the right side of the bookcase.

Name:	doorFrameInTheater4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	535.1 KB
ID:	927396
                      Inside the theater the door doesn't look to bad! Still need to paint the caulk on the left there and clean up the dust mat from when I was removing the tile strip. The light leaking through the top will be addressed when I get the top trim piece installed and the ceiling put back together. I'm thinking to cut a piece of wood and paint it black. I'm looking forward to being able to get the mic out and test the room with a door now. I will be able to finally get the rest of the room treatments figured out and cross that off the list.

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater6.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	927397
                      This is what it looks like with the door open. If I need to move in a new chair the door easily pops out. Things to complete next are:
                      • Sanding and painting the shelves
                      • The trim on the front
                      • Ceiling install
                      • New light in ceiling
                      • Painting the inside of the theater where the caulk was used
                      • Trim piece for inside theater above the door
                      • Anything else I'm forgetting that should be done...
                      Hopefully work will begin next week when I'm back in town 🤔
                      Painter in training

Comment

• Evil Twin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by svenarajala
                        I was in a bit of a rush to get the outside of the cabinet painted black during the week. My biggest wish was that the weather was warmer to have sprayed the paint on instead of rolling. I guess if this still bothers me that bad I can do that in the spring when it warms up enough to paint.

Name:	cabinetAssemble10.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	927378
                        The cabinet outside paining is completed and the hinges are mounted to the top and bottom of the cabinet.

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater2.jpg
Size:	792.4 KB
ID:	927379
                        Foam to cut from sealing the door frame, and the carpet stretched back down nice and tight against the door jam. The door frame may look a little un-level, but that is the floor of the basement, that door frame is square which is critical for the door to open and close properly.

Name:	doorFrameInTheater3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	727.9 KB
ID:	927380 Another view from inside the theater of the carpet put back together. Notice a little white caulk on the left side of the frame? I need to paint that black still. Yes I did remember to use paintable silicon! I learned that lesson many years ago 😂.

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	815.6 KB
ID:	927381

Name:	doorFrameOutTheater4.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	927382
                        Installed the hinges on the door frame now for the door to be installed. Next step is to get the door installed and test how it fits!
                        Interesting... most interesting!

You clearly have developed a unique method for transitioning to the Dark Side!

DFAL
                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• theSven
                          Master of None
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Evil Twin

Interesting... most interesting!

You clearly have developed a unique method for transitioning to the Dark Side!

LoL, I never thought of it like that! Helps to have that outside perspective to point out the obvious of how much I do like black in that room 😂. Next week I need to get some more painting done and start getting the trim going for the front of the door. It only took 10 years to finally get a door installed for this room!
                          Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                            Master of None
                            • Jan 2014

I'm overdue from posting an update here! I have got the trim for the front of the door stained and sealed. I'm hoping to get it installed this weekend when I get back to town. If I am able to make progress I will share some updates.

One other note, after 3 months more or less the door sank a little and started sticking. I put a 1/8" shim on the bottom under the hinge and the door opens and closes perfectly again. I haven't had that much weight on the shelf, however I will have to put all the movies back again and see how the door behaves.
                            Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                              Master of None
                              • Jan 2014

This project is about to reach completion. The door is mounted, and the trim on the front installed!. Tasks left are touch up painting, trim on the bathroom door (to the right of the hidden door), getting the door to close easier with the support thing mounted on the bottom left of the door (the side that opens), and installing the ceiling tiles in the short hallway.

I was debating how to attach the trim to the frame not wanting to use brad nails. Then it occurred to me one evening somewhere around the world that I should use pockets. This was a good call, with the trim installed the opening is just under 30". With pockets I can easily take the trim on and off for getting new furniture into the theater room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pockets-right.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	930862 Click image for larger version  Name:	pockets-left.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	930863

The trim attached
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	trimInstalled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	930861

This is how it looks with the door closed
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	doorClosed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	930859
                              Last edited by theSven; 26 March 2023, 18:23 Sunday. Reason: Remove unused photo
                              Painter in training

Comment

• theSven
                                Master of None
                                • Jan 2014

Long over due for an update. I'm finally in town for 2 weeks now with no travel. One of the big delays with completing the door install was the uneven floor of the room! The pin that goes into the side of the door did not work well to the point the door could not be closed unless you put some wood under the pin to compress the pin when the door was closed into the jamb. I spent time looking at solutions that would work and ended up settling on this gate wheel attachment. It did the trick perfectly, the door opens and closes beautifully. I have to get the little things done now, touch up paint, paint some wood black to install on the top of the door jamb, and install new trip on the door adjacent to the theater door.

The door closed from the outside of the room. Great for storing lots of discs that I enjoy watching with the family and friends that stop over. Trim on the door adjacent shall be a summer project. I should also consider re-painting the hall now and texture the wall. I've come to like textured walls in the basement.

Name:	outsideDoorClosed.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	940116

The door opens an closes nicely with the wheel installed. I pre-drilled the holes and then used the driver to secure the screws. Touch up paint is required where the pin assembly was attached. I realized after taking the photo I forgot to vacuum first... The floor was cleaned after the photo shoot!

Name:	doorOpenSideView.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	940117

A close up of the wheel, there is a spring to account for weight on the shelf...

Name:	wheelOnDoor.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	940118

The door closed from inside the room. Notice above the door I need to install a trim piece and paint that black to match the interior wall color. The white caulk line could use some black paint too. The right side of the door jamb may end up with a trim piece there panted black too.

Name:	closedInsideTheater.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	940119

Now that the door can easily be opened and closed I need to finish up a few final tasks. The next project I would like to pursue is some wall treatments from the room. I'm still deciding on what parts I want to DIY vs purchase...
                                Painter in training

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"