Dealing with driver cutouts when painting ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ratchetfps
    • Jun 2010

Dealing with driver cutouts when painting ?

I have finally finished my pair of mini statements but, regrettably, have done the unthinkable and hooked them up completely to test them out prior to painting! I did so due to the fact that winter was fast approaching and by the time I finished my build it was already starting to rain. Now that the seasons have changed, I feel as though it's a perfect time to finish these amazing towers up and paint them!

Now I am trying to think through one last issue before starting my painting project: How do I securely seal the driver cutouts prior to painting? The insides of the cabinet have already been treated with acoustic foam, and I assume it would be a deadly sin to clog the porous foam with the slightest bit of spraypaint. The cabs are already fully bondo'd and sanded down. My painting strategy will be to coat the entirety of the towers with a 50/50 solution of woodglue/water, allow to harden then sand. Once sealed, I plan to do a number of coats of primer, color, sealant. I am still unsure as to what I will seal with, as I want a flat finish (since I don't want to invest the time to achieve a piano black finish). Regardless...

I have been thinking about:
    • Cutting out thin circles using the same dimensions as the cutouts, then securing with a 2-3 driver screws.
    • Cutting out circles using aluminum foil and securing using very small, flat tacks
    • Cutting out circles using cardboard and securing using very small, flat tacks

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of prep? I have read many guides and build threads but notice this precaution is somehow not often documented!
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Painters tape! just go to the edge of the flush mounts....

Comment

• Wheels
      • Oct 2008

and tape paper across the hole so you don't get overspray

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I agree that you should be able to tape up newspaper.

I was once lazy and just stuffed a speaker lightly with crumpled newspaper and then used the newspaper pressure to hold a piece of newspaper in the driver hold. Worked well enough for the short amount of time. ops:
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ratchetfps
          • Jun 2010

Hah! Easy enough! Who knows why I felt the need to go overboard and make more cutouts =P Perhaps a love for my new router :T

Comment

• baniels
            • Nov 2006

I bet some balloons would do the trick pretty quickly.
            •L&R Build•
            •Sub Build•

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

Here are my current project getting ready for finish work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rs22528a006-3.webp
Views:	27
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	944082
              Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:50 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

You make taping up those holes seem like some sort of artwork in itself
                What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
                5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
                Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• joeybutts
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by 5th element
                  You make taping up those holes seem like some sort of artwork in itself
                  HAHAH. Thanks 5th. Just painter's tape and an X-acto does paint prep good. :T

Comment

• penngray
                    • Sep 2007

The insides of the cabinet have already been treated with acoustic foam, and I assume it would be a deadly sin to clog the porous foam with the slightest bit of spraypaint.
                    Nah....that is a falsehood and no where near a deadly sin

larger Soundwaves will easily penetrate foam even with paint on them but covering the hole with painters tape is still easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"