X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cotdt
    • Oct 2005

Painting Peerless HDS Exclusive drivers black

I just realised that the Peerless Exclusives look ugly in my black piano finish cabinet. I would prefer if the silver phase plug and frame was black. How would I go about making the drivers black, without affecting its performance?

• Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

I can't imagine painting the frames would effect the drivers performance and as long as no paint falls down between phaseplug and former I can see that effecting either. Is the phaseplug removable btw?

I remember Ken Kantor hinting at all black Exclusive drivers a couple of years ago but I guess that never materialised... I don't understand why they use the alu-frames, they don't match any other of their drivers and it sure don't look "excliusive" to me.

Comment

• Mazeroth
      • Nov 2004

augerpro painted his frames but not his phase plug. You can see some pictures here. I asked the same question on response #6:

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mazeroth
        augerpro painted his frames but not his phase plug. You can see some pictures here. I asked the same question on response #6:

http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=31103
        The phase plug must be black too, or it still looks ugly.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Paint isn't infinitely thin. I think painting the phase plug risks closing the gap between the cone and the phase plug. If you hold the pain back at the interface, you have a silver strip.

I personally think the silver phase plug is cool. I suggest you find a bunch of people who think the silver phase plug looks cool. If you hang with these people long enough, you'll come around.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
            Paint isn't infinitely thin. I think painting the phase plug risks closing the gap between the cone and the phase plug. If you hold the pain back at the interface, you have a silver strip.

I personally think the silver phase plug is cool. I suggest you find a bunch of people who think the silver phase plug looks cool. If you hang with these people long enough, you'll come around.
            Ha! The only way I'll EVER think that silver phase plugs are cool is if they come out with a silver-colored dome for the HDS tweeter. Then I could at least get a nice cosmetic match.

What I'm wondering is, if there is a way to remove the Exclusive's phase plug. Then I can sand it down a little and apply a thin layer of black paint.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Paint isn't infinitely thin.
              Yup. I wonder how a permanent felt marker would work. Something like a Sharpie can't add much thickness but I don't know how it would look.

Some phase plugs unscrew but I don't know about the HDS.

Comment

• cotdt
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                Yup. I wonder how a permanent felt marker would work. Something like a Sharpie can't add much thickness but I don't know how it would look.

Some phase plugs unscrew but I don't know about the HDS.
                I've tried a sharpie but it tends to fade over time. It's also a bit too glossy for my tastes.

According to the HDS design provided by Tympany, it looks like the phase plug can be unscrewed:

But I haven't been able to unscrew mine. Seems to be on there tight. It's also interesting to note that the aluminum phase plug is on the pole peice of the motor and reduces distortion.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Get some model paint at a hobby shop and a small brush. Flat black is usually pretty thin but you can thin it up more with paint thinner. Push the cone in past xmax and paint the plug. After it dries-which should be within a minute, release the cone. Easy.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Hmmm, that looks glued in. Here's how the Excel plug screws on from the back of the magnet.

Comment

• JoshK
                      • Mar 2005

Is the metal, an aluminum alloy? If so, you might want a self-etching primer/paint. I use a self-etching rattle can primer that I get from the auto parts store when painting my aluminum electronics projects. It actually bonds to the aluminum so that it doesn't easily scratch off.

If you can remove the phase plug, you could then sand it with some 320grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and then paint.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"