X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speaker_King
    • May 2007

Need Help with some sort of Soundproofing Around Door

I have a problem with sound being traped right around where my door is, because of the way the room is made. The sound is traped in that area and goes right through the door. Iv thought about taking the trim of the door frame, so the wall is flush with the door, and putting sound board all around it. Do you think that would help?

This shows the placement and layout of the room .....

Aquariums...
    55g-Tiger Oscar, Black Convict, Bruno Pleco
    55g-Bala Shark, Prehistoric Dragon Goby, 3 Buenos Aeries Tetras, 3 Amino Shrimp.....Java Moss, Java Fern, Cobomba, Hygrofilia, Pennywort.....10lbs of Lava Rock
    30g-2 Green Spotted Puffers
    32(L)-Corn Snake
    10g-8 Danio, 2 Gold Gourami, 3 Red-Tail Platys, 1 Very huge Golden Apple Snail(E.T)

My FPS theater http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...howtopic=20447 (everything i have in my setup)
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Doors are the biggest weak link in theater soundproofing. You can fix most of the problems simply by installing a solid core door with weatherstripping. Basically, install the same door as the one you have going from your house to your garage, but without the auto-closing spring that's probably on it.

For an already-installed door, just put the weatherstripping and threshold on, as if it were an exterior door. You can get these things by going to a home supply store and asking.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Chris nailed the primary problem with doors - hollow vs solid-core. Unless your home is fairly old, I'll bet that your interior doors are a thin skin of plywood/veneer over a frame. Replacing the hollow one with a solid core will substantially cut the amount of sound propagating through it. Add to that some vinyl weatherstrip around the sides and top, and a good under-door strip/sill and you'll be in fine shape. This isn't a cheap fix, but it's a very good one.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Speaker_King
        • May 2007

Originally posted by David Meek
        Unless your home is fairly old, I'll bet that your interior doors are a thin skin of plywood/veneer over a frame.
        Thats exactly what they are, i'll probably end up doing what you guys said. Everybody complains about it being to loud, and i cant even hear it it the room. Thanks
        Aquariums...
        55g-Tiger Oscar, Black Convict, Bruno Pleco
        55g-Bala Shark, Prehistoric Dragon Goby, 3 Buenos Aeries Tetras, 3 Amino Shrimp.....Java Moss, Java Fern, Cobomba, Hygrofilia, Pennywort.....10lbs of Lava Rock
        30g-2 Green Spotted Puffers
        32(L)-Corn Snake
        10g-8 Danio, 2 Gold Gourami, 3 Red-Tail Platys, 1 Very huge Golden Apple Snail(E.T)

My FPS theater http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...howtopic=20447 (everything i have in my setup)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"