X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Motox29
    • Apr 2003

Sunfire Mark VI Humming noise

I have just installed a sunfire mark iv and can not get rid of the humming noise. I will not allow the sub to shut down. I have tried using the same ac plug as my receiver and several differnt rca cables all high quality. I have installed a monster cable sub block on the ac wall plug but still the sub hums when idle. Does anyone have a fix?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Motox29, welcome to The Guide! It's always good to have more Texans around here! :T

A few questions for you:
    1. 1) I'm not familiar with the Mk VI. Is it a used or new piece of equipment?

2) Has the humming been present before on that circuit with other equipment? If so, it's not the Mk VI. If not, then start moving to different circuits and see if that eliminates the problem.

3) Do you have cable? If you do, the cable companies are NOTORIOUS for installing a dedicated ground and not using the house (common) ground. This can cause a hum on the electrical circuit. If this is the case, get your cable company to come out and correct the ground. If that's not going to work, Mondial makes a product called their MAGIC box that eliminates the hum. Our Burke Strickland has one and has had good results with it.
    If none of these help, we'll keep on it. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Motox29
      • Apr 2003

It is used. I have tried several different locations and all seem to have some hum. The cable line does go through a monster cable surge protector that the receiver hooked up to. I will remove the cable line and see if that helps. No other components have any noise however. Does the magic box hook inline with the sub or the cable? Also where can I purchase it? Thanks for the advice.

Dixon

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

The "magic box" is a ground isolated RF balun transformer, so that the cable ground is transformer isolated from the rest of your system. Surge protectors or power line filters have essentially no effect on ground potential problems.

You should be able to purchase it from Klipsch dealers that carry the elctronics (Aragon).

Jensen transformers also makes and sells a similar product, their VRD-1FF cable TV RF isolator, and they can be bought direct.

PDF datasheet is available at the above page.

Frankly, ground problems are one of the biggest noise issues in an HT system, and with my own experience, I'd NEVER hook up to a computer (HTPC) or cable system without isolation transformers.

Just my 0.02.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Hey guys, I suggested to Dixon (Motox29), that he drop in and ask his question to the pros here! I did give him some recommendations on it, but knew someone here could be of even more help, as this isn't my forte'.

Dixon and I did some business recently, as he purchased my Infinity Composition 2's to use for rears. :E Fantastic complement to his 3 mains though.

Dixon's a nice guy, and glad you guys were able to give him some good advice and thanks for joining Dixon! You helped us get closer to our 1000 member goal!

Doug

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"