X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Cloning Sunfire XT - Thinking out loud

Hi Guys,

I’m really interested in cloning the Sunfire XT CRM-2 for my stereo listening. They have an interesting look and possibly an enjoyable sound, If I make them right.
    From the image it appears that the planar tweeter is a Silver Flute YAG-20 (Dayton PT2B-8 ), with two high excursion 4.5” woofers, one on either side of the cabinet in a common sealed enclosure.

After researching the CRM-2 and downloading the owner’s manual these are the specs:
    Drive Units
    HF - Wave Guide loaded Neodymium Ribbon
    LF - Dual 4.5 inch High Back EMF
    Freq Responce
    95hz - 40kHz
    Crossover point
    1.5kHz
    Max Power
    400w
    Min Power
    25w
    Sensitivity
    90db @ 2.83V/1m
    Max output
    115dB
    Impedance
    8ohm
    Dimensions
    8.25"H
    5.5"W
    6"D
    9lbs
    xt owners manual

I find the cross over point the most interesting. Because from all the reviews and measurements taken of the Silver Flute/Dayton planar tweeter, there is a lot of distortion under the 2.5KHz mark. And, Zaph has said that this particular planar is “probably one of the worst performers I've ever seen” (http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes).
    Also what’s interesting is the bass management switch on the back of the cabinet. With my limited experience I’d guess this switches the woofer configuration from di-pole to bi-pole.

I’m thinking that instead of using 4.5” units I take them up to 5” models. My preference is the Dayton RS125S 5” woofer. From all reports they have all the makings of a real solid performer and aren’t too hard on the wallet. Using the same planar tweeter would be the way to go, Dayton PT2B-8.

From ploting the RS125S responce curve using WinISD, it looks like two woofers could work in a 0.14cu.ft. enclosure to yeild a similar low frequency responce of 95hz. I don't think the woofer will be the problem in this design, the planar tweeter might have some distortion issues at a 1.5kHz x-over frequency. Parts Express recommend a 2.5khz 3rd order x-over, and Zaph says "None of the true ribbons, when used one at a time, should be used below 2.5kHz. The higher you cross them, the better you will avoid low end distortion" (http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes). I think that if the woofer is XO'd too high it might steer the sound too much.

As it says in the title of this thread I'm thinking out loud. But, I do need some guidance. My main concern is getting the tweeter to work with the design and intergrate with the woofers. Having a good x-over (IMO) seems to be the way to achieve a good result with this design. If anyone has some data or ideas how to make this all come together your help would be great.
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The driver being used in the Sunfire is not the Yag20.

Having tested and played around with the Yag20 I certainly agree with Zaph it's a poor driver. The sound quality was such that I gave away the pair I bought instead taking the time to design a system around such a bad sounding driver.

If you want to play with this idea consider using the B&G Neo 8.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

I too gave away the only pair of YAG20's I ever had (albeit they weren't called YAG20's, they were just the same driver silver flute & PE are now selling).

Comment

• Anton
        • Oct 2004

Compared to the Neo8 the Silver Flute is a POS. I think I'll run with the Neo8 for the high end.
        So, I guess the next step is to plot out the freq responce of the proposed design and work out the x-over. I had my eye on "Speaker workshop" to do the calculations. Is this a good tool when using T/S perameters only and considering the driver postioning relative to each other?
        I'd rather find out if it's a good program before I download it.
        Or, can someone supply measured data for the Neo8 and the RS125S-8 that would yeild a more accurate results?
        I have searched the web and found afew plotted reponce curves of the Neo8 that show poor reponce when the back is enclosed. This might be a problem since the design calls for an enclosed back. I guess plotting the intended design is the best way to tell.
        Canadian heart, Aussie home!

Comment

• dwk
          • Apr 2005

Interesting design idea. I have some of the Monsoon planar drivers which are somewhat similar-ish to the Neo 8's, and have been wondering how to use them. Pairing them up in something like this with the 4 RS125-4's that I have might be a viable solution to the semi-portable camping system I've been thinking about.

The back-wave from the planar is a potential problem, but I think with a properly shaped cavity and decent absorption, it's probably workable. Might take some experimenting, though.

I fully agree with the take on the Yag drivers. I had some of the Dayton equivalents and they were decidedly unimpressive.

Comment

• JasonB
            • Oct 2005

Has anyone here actually heard the XT CRM-2's? I have to admit I do like the style and the size and I could see them working well as rear surrounds but I'm not sure the odd looking polar response below 1.5k would work for two channel listening. I'd be curious to see what the 90 degree off axis response of a 4 1/2" driver looks like at 1.5k.

Jason

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

I've been considering this design, but even with a Neo8, I can't seem to be able to simulate it without horrible frequency response. The RS125's at 90° off-axis seem not to be able to integrate with the Neo.

I think this design is merely a good looking one... but I don't think it can sound right.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• jdybnis
                • Dec 2004

The side firing woofers aren't going to be omni-directional above 750Hz. That's probably where your nasties are coming from. What frequency are you trying to cross over at? I'd take the Neo8 as low as it can go with a real steep filter. But, it'll be tough because you'll have to deal with baffle step in the Neo8's pass band.
                -Josh

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Josh, I'm trying to cross over around 800 Hz. The Neo8, AFAIK, can't go very low. I'd love to think it can drop to 500 Hz with a C-E, or a high order parallel filter, but from what I've seen on-line, it's asking too much out of it.

I'm not sure about baffle step, though. If the cabinet is wide enough, this shouldn't be an issue.

Hmm. Back to simulating... one good thing about using the Dayton RS-125's 90° off axis is that high frequency garbage is greatly diminished. Maybe this idea has merit... then again, I haven't yet thought about how to deal with time alignment. Aggh.
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• 69Stingray
                    • Feb 2007

Anton- did you ever try this? I am curious to how they turned out or what issues you ran into.

Anyone heard these in the flesh? Interesting concept, but seems very flawed.
                    Last edited by 69Stingray; 20 August 2008, 20:51 Wednesday.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                      • Nov 2004

Sorry that this isn't adding anything to the discussion but this gave me a good chuckle:

Max Power
                      400w
                      Min Power
                      25w
                      Sensitivity
                      90db @ 2.83V/1m
                      Max output
                      115dB

:rf

Comment

• benchtester
                        • Sep 2007

How does it sound?

I, too, am interested in the sound of this configuration. Any input? It could be a "Bose killer" configuration; but I never imagined a side firing mid-range.

Comment

• looneybomber
                          • May 2007

Madisound is selling some long throw 4" Aura drivers at a reduced price.
                          Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Two per side (four total), along with the Neo8 might work. It's an idea I've been toying with for my ex-GF and stumbled upon this page while doing a google search.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Would make some interesting computer speakers.

Comment

• looneybomber
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                              Would make some interesting computer speakers.
                              How did you know I was looking to make some computer speakers? My idea's I've had for computer speakers have spanned from mini-line array's using those 2" hivi drivers, a single 4" full range, to this idea. I should probably stick with my single driver idea. It's much cheaper.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Because I'd like to use this idea for computer speakers I've never liked full range drivers to much. Needs a tweeter in my opinion but you know what they say about those. I really like this idea though. It's probably not optimal but who cares. I would say the Neo 8's with a pair of 5" midbass's would be sweet. Or even a single 5".

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-873

Or if you really want a 4" driver

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

This would be a nice 5" as well. I bit more expensive though.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1556 again a bit more expensive but does look quite a bit better The Neo8 is kind of ugly. There is the 3" that's 89 bucks and would probably work well.

Comment

• 69Stingray
                                    • Feb 2007

I would think the 4" Tang Band W4-1757S would be well suited given it's off-axis response.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Hmm it's got a nifty grill on it.... 2 of those and then a nice sub of some kind could be very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"