• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Lets talk about Power

OK,
    so my question to the board is what power center and power cords do you guys use?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I use APC Line-R power conditioners http://apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67 and stock power cables as of now, though that's something I'll be upgrading when I get the boss's approval (or I sneak them in :lol: )

Gonna move this thread though as it's not specifically Rotel related and you'll likey get more responses in HT.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Just picked up a Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Regulator to mate with my Monster HTS 5000mkII. No I didn't get caught up on the Monster hype, I was able to trade for the month old 5000mkII for $300CDN and my HTS 1000mkII. The AVS2000 was picked up because the 5000mkII was telling me that the voltage was running from 108v to 115v at any given part of the day. Only late at night would it hit 120v. Also I was able to get it from the dealer I buy everything from for 20% off and no inerest/payments for 14mths.

Power cables come from a local maker. Their called Silver-1 with the following features:

Military grade 12AWG silver plated copper conductors with PTFE Teflon insulation. 4 conductors in a star quad configuration, effective 9.5AWG rating.
      1 12 AWG silver plated copper conductor for grounding spiralled in opposite direction of star quad rotation.
      Marinco 8215T Hospital grade 3 prong plug.
      Marinco 320 IEC connector.
      Wire and connectors cryogenically treated at -300F.
      Braided copper shield, grounded at plug end only.
      5 discrete layers of Teflon dielectric.
      EMI/RFI attenuation layer.
      Black Techflex expandable poly sleeve for durability.
      Deray IHKT heatshrink on PC ends.
      Key Benefits

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I use a combo of sorts. For my major items, I use a BPT BP1/CPC Ultra Power Center and for my 'other' components, I have them connected to a Monster Power Center HTS 5100 (X2). For all my amps, pre/pro, and Denon DVD-5900 I use the BPT L-9 power cords.

Jim
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I currently use the Monster HTS 3500 MkII, which does an efficient job.

I am also using stock power cords, but will investigate Power cord upgrades in the not to distant future.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

DIY balanced power unit;
            Acoustic Zen Krakatoa power cords (2 pcs., one retrofitted with Furutech 20 series 15 amp wall and IEC plugs, the other retrofitted with Wattgate 350iHC 20A IEC plug);
            Acoustic Zen Tsunami II power cords (2 pcs.).

Comment

• Dan Schulze
              • Jun 2003

Once I got serious about my power, I first purchased the Monster Power Conditioner HTS 5100. Once I upgraded my amps, I had a need to get a Voltage Stabilizer. I chose the Monster AVS 2000. I currently have not done any upgrade to any of my power cords, still using the stock ones.

These two items to a great job of maintaining 120v to my system. During the summer months, especially during the day, I have seen my AVS 2000 correct the incoming voltage as much as 10 volts, and I wasn't even driving the system at all. I am glad I bought both these items. I also like being able to see the current usage of my system, which is typically in the 5 to 6 amp range, but cranking the system, will pull upwards to 14 amps!

Dan
              I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

I use a Monster HTS5100 and have DIY powercords made from 12 gauge shielded teflon coated Belden 83802 and Marinco hospital grade IEC and 3 prong connectors.It all works great,real low noise floor.

Comment

• CWD
                  • Mar 2004

Can I add the following questions to the discussion...

I am wrestling with the power issue myself.

I can't decide if I should add a power conditioner like the Monster HTS 3500/5100 or something like Richard Gray's Power Company 600S. It would appear that the 600S smooths out the power and cuts the noise level by providing a reservoir to meet demands. I've heard lots of good stuff about units like the 600S and the 400 Mark II.

I do get some noise in my HDTV picture that I'm pretty sure is power related. I hear both types of units can make things better. I've also heard that the Richard Gray stuff improves the performance of source devices like DVD players.

So...anyone have some experience with these two solutions to help compare and contrast? Anyone have any experience with the Richard Gray Power Company units?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"