X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nparrotta
    • Jul 2004

New to HTGuide - Looking for Advice

New to HTGuide and Building a HT - Looking for advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi - in the process of building a HT in my walk out basement 16 W x 30 L x H 7 1/2 - considering a few things and wanted some direction/advice with a budget of about $6,000 - $11,000 - open to any suggestion which I know will leave me wide open...:

- Important factors:
    Price/performance - best bang for buck
    Service
    Upgradeability
    Integration

Separates or Combo?

-Considering the following receivers:
    (Budget $2,000 - $3,000):
    Rotel, Integra, or Denon -
    Integra - can score an prior model new Integra DTR 9.1 (not upgraded) for about $1,900 and an Integra DTS 9.1 $999 - cost about $500 to upgrade the 9.1 - kinda like the 8.4 though...
    (Like what I'm reading about the Denon 3805 and the price point)
    Like the look of the Rotel 1098 and 1075....a little pricy

-Considering the following Video ($2,000 - $3,500):
    Sony-VPL - HS20
    Sony - XBR Grand Wega KDF60XBR950
    Samsung - HLN617W
    Infocus - 5700
    Sanyo - PLV-70

-Up in the air for DVD player ($500 - can't see spending much more unless someone can convince me)

-Speakers ($2,000 - 3,000):
    Atlantic Technology, Tannoys, Paradigms - open to suggestions there are so many...

-Screen ($800 -$1,000 preferably motorized)

-Monster Cable or Panamax

-Neo Pronto or Other integrated touchscreen?

-Lutron Lighting X10?

Thanks!
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

First thing I would do is scratch the Sanyo off your list. While I have that PJ and like it quite a bit, the Sony's picture is superior in every way except brightness. Since you are going into a basment, should not matter much to you. And connection options on the Sony with its lower price make the comparison a no brainer.

As to comparing it to the InFocus and other FP options, that is more open to debate.

BB

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Let's start from the top and work our way down

Seperates are definitely the way to go for performance. Now there's certainly nothing wrong with Denon they make perfectly nice recievers. However I think you'd be much happier with the likes of the Rotel 1056 receiver (if you want to stick with one box and/or lessen the budget). Maybe add a nice RB-1070 2-channel amp for improved performance and the ability to do 7.1 or 2nd zone. Other than that why not look at the 1068 and 1075? The 1098 is very nice but if budget is a concern the 1068 offers say 95% of the performance, short a couple bells and whistles, for substantially less money and should handily outperform anything else you mentioned... Let me also say that Rotels' watt rating ratings are all channels driven over the full frequency range. Most of the bigger companies rate 2-channels within a select frequency range to get there wattage claims. A lot of receivers rated near 100WPC tend to measure closer to 50-60WPC when measured in the same manner as Rotels. I've seen some as bad as mid 30's 8O

Are you planning on a RPTV or a front projector? For a quality RPTV, I'd go CRT and either Hitachi or Mitsubishi personally. Sony makes good sets as well but they tend to charge for their name more than some brands... :roll: As for projectors, there's tons of options, I'd suggest a trip to the projector area of the forum to see what would work best for you and your budget. Also, if you have the light control, I'd go projectorover RPTV :T

I'd go Denon 2200 for DVD. Either you should be able to get a good deal on them as new models are coming out around August or wait for the latest and greatest model in August/September.

Speakers... Athena, B&W, Energy, Kef, PSB, Paradigm, Polk, Tannoy, Totem... I'm probably forgetting some... :lol:

Subwoofer(s)... Velodyine, Paradigm, SVS, HSU, Adire...

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Another lcd projector you may want to consider is the new Epson TW500. From what I've been reading about this baby it is comparable to dlp in contrast and black levels... which is saying a lot for lcd. I believe US price is in your budget range. It is a very flexible medium range PJ with horizontal and vertical lens shift.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• pepar
          • Dec 2002

Just curious how impartial you can be as a mderator with a Rotel logo for your avatar . . .

Originally posted by aud19
          Let's start from the top and work our way down

Seperates are definitely the way to go for performance. Now there's certainly nothing wrong with Denon they make perfectly nice recievers. However I think you'd be much happier with the likes of the Rotel 1056 receiver . .
          -
          Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

• pepar
            • Dec 2002

I agree with Brandon B. I planned on buying a PLV-70, but then the
            sony HS20 came out. It provides a better picture, though it's not the light cannon the Sanyo is, with less screen door, and for $1.5k less.
            -
            Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

I think I'm quite impartial actually and you'll find that most people who have listened to both Rotel and Denon receivers will agree with my assesment there. Rotel makes nice stuff that is more musical and just generally sounds better than the products from mass market companies, Denon being one of them. Like I said they're a good company and if I was in the market for a mass market receiver, they'd be on my short list. I in fact recommended a Denon receiver to my Dad last summer (which he bought) as he was not in the market for something as high up as Rotel. I also own a Denon 1600 DVD player myself, so you tell me if you think that's impartial....

Good equipment is good equipment. Rotel is one of the best options in that price range IMO, that's why I own it and I recommend it. OK?

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Actually, there is nothing wrong with a moderator liking and recommending his favorite gear, whatever it may be. Yes, he can do that just as well as any member.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Thanks Doug :kiss:

In fact I'll go as far as to say that's pretty much the point of a forum... To hear peoples opinions :B

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• rich0372
                    • Jul 2004

I'm swtching from a receiver to seperates and Rotel simply is the best bang for the buck. :T Also is an honest company always saying power ratings in all channels not like other companies. It really sounds good too :B By the way the Sony ES999 is a good DVD SACD player. I'm with you Jason Rich

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"