X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shingo
    • Dec 2006

Need help selecting the right projector for under 2000$

Hi, it's a childhood dream of mine of owning a home theater system with a front projector. Right now I have a 50" 10 years old rear projection tv. I want to add a 110" screen and a front projector.

My budget limit is 2000$ and it's the absolut limit.

It will be in a pretty dark room, it has only one small window and it dosen't cause any problem with my rear projection tv.

I have around 14ft distance between the screen and where the projector will be installed.

So far I was thinking about buying either a

Panasonic PT-AX100U or a
    SANYO PLV-Z5

Is there any other choice I should be thinking about? Is there any older high end projector in discount that would be a better deal?

I need 720P/1080i

I watch, movie, tv, sport, video games and also my media center.

So do you have any suggestion to help me get the right projector for me.

Thank you
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with either of the above choices. I chose the AX100 over the Z5 as I wanted to sit as close as possible to a 120" screen, the extra brightness was an added bonus.
    When factoring in the throw distance given your room length of around 14ft, don't forget this is from the front of the lens; add projector body depth + cabling at the rear. This will probably limit you to the 2x throw pj's.
    100+ inch screens can be had for around $150 if your budget runs tight after the pj purchase. Honestly, a flat white wall looks pretty impressive as well if you have to wait to purchase or make a screen.
    Xbox360 (1080p/YPbPr), DVD (480i/YPbPr), & Satellite TV (480i/svid) all scale very nicely and look great at that size. Non digital cable in my area doesn't fare so well, but that's true on even a small crt tv.
    -Ward
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

I picked up the Z5 the week of Thanksgiving and I couldn't be happier. I was looking at the panny 900 then the new models came out and the price between the Z5 and the 900 wasn't much. There is a 200.00 rebate on the Z5 until 12/31 which puts it around 1500.00. You have to keep in mind cables are going to cost more due to longer runs.
      I am using a 100" pull down I got for under 100.00. I also just picked up a ps3 gaming and blu-ray movies look amazing.
      I dont think you would go wrong with either one, I would have opted for the AX100U but money was tight and I was tired of waiting and they compare very well to each other.

Comment

• draganm
        • Jul 2005

if your watching a lot of TV, like every night, a DLP/LCD will be ready for diposal in 2 years. I suggest looking at a CRT projector. It will outperfrom a 720DLP in almsot every parameter except light output. If you have a light controled room why not take adavantage of 20k:1 contrast ratio and have a set that will will run for years with no bulb replacements?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Draganm, you know full well crts aren't for everyone. Let's face it, for a beginner in the HT field, it is much easier to go lcd or dlp.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

I agree with george 100%. I hung my 12lb projector alone in about 10-15 min.
            Now CRT's may be better in the black dept. but even my brother who has a 65" diamond series mits admitted the blacks on my setup are more than acceptable. He was real supprised after we ran through the DVE setup disc.
            Given the size and wieght of CRT front projection I would only opt for one in a dedicated HT room and even then it would be a tough call for me.
            Since mine is in my living room I sure wouldn't want a CRT on my ceiling.

Comment

• basementjack
              • Dec 2004

FYI to anyone else considering...
              tiger.com has the Z5 for 1499
              they are listing a 200 rebate, but I am not sure it is valid for purchases from Tiger.

Comment

• draganm
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                I agree with george 100%. I hung my 12lb projector alone in about 10-15 min. Now CRT's may be better in the black dept. but even my brother who has a 65" diamond series mits admitted the blacks on my setup are more than acceptable. He was real supprised after we ran through the DVE setup disc..
                Well "more than accpetable" is a matter of opinion. When my CRT powered theatre goes Black you can't see your hand in front of your face. But hey, being always able to see your popcorn is a plus too, so give the nod to DLP on that one.
                Originally posted by M.Roberts8
                Given the size and wieght of CRT front projection I would only opt for one in a dedicated HT room and even then it would be a tough call for me. Since mine is in my living room I sure wouldn't want a CRT on my ceiling.
                totally agree with you there, but it sounded like the OP was refering to a dedicated room? I wouldn't want one in my in living room either. My wife got a new living room set and I got to hang the beast from the basement HT so it worked out well for me.
                George I know quite a few guys who got a CRT for their first projector, it just depends on the person. It's not for the plug-n-play crowd but hands on type HT enthusiasts love CRT..........and tube amps, vinyl records, classic cars, and other cool stuff that you don't throw away in a few years.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I understand where everyone else is coming from with regards to digital; it all depends on whether the person is an enthusiast and tinkerer or a plug and play for the most part kind of guy (though most digitals need a gray scale and color calibration, and calibration to the levels coming from the sources you use with them.

OTOH, I'm basically with Draganm still if it's image quality you're hung up on. My first two projects were CRT; my next two digital, my last two (which I still have both) are CRT. The last two are vastly better; while the 9PG+ won't match the resolving power of the 10PG (9" tubes), the color fidelity and ability to create a very involving picture with 1080i sources is unmatched for what I paid for it ($2k, with 500 hours on the chasis and tubes).

The end user has to decide which trade-offs are most appropriate for their needs.

Now, if his budget were 3X, the new JVC D-ILA HD1 would be very, very interesting. But at 2K there are some real limitations, though still some very good entertainment to be had.

Personally, now that HD recorded sources are becoming available, I think holding out for a 1080P capable projector, even if it means saving a little longer or waiting, is sensible future proofing. We're getting my daughter a new LCD flat panel display, and we're going 1080 for that, too. Of course, she can use it with her Mac laptop, too, as it has DVI inputs and VGA, as well as HDMI.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by draganm
                    George I know quite a few guys who got a CRT for their first projector, it just depends on the person. It's not for the plug-n-play crowd but hands on type HT enthusiasts love CRT..........and tube amps, vinyl records, classic cars, and other cool stuff that you don't throw away in a few years.
                    Fact is, Draganm, I was one of them who whose first front PJ was a crt. That's why I don't rundown crt, but times have changed. Lcd and dlp PJs have come a long way and are certainly more suitable to the beginner.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • May 2003

Yep, I started with CRT RPTVs and then CRT FPTVs mostly because the picture quality and cost of a used CRT front projector was better than a comparable digital projector.

But that has significantly changed over the last 5 years, and now a digital front projector is a far better choice for most people who are just starting out in home theater.

Both the Panasonic PT-AX100U and SANYO PLV-Z5 are good examples of affordable, great looking, easy to set up and use digital projectors. :T

Comment

• Rich Gibson
                        • Jan 2007

Hi! My first post here. I've used both the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and 2. LCD's most definitely do not wear out in two years of heavy use. I can't speak for CRTs or DLPs. I'm retired and use both the projector and LCD screen heavily throughout the day, much more than those of you still on the job. :W

If anyone is interested I've made several screens from the local building supply and black out cloth from a fabric store; total cost $70.00. I've photographed the progress and can make the images available.

I look forward to joining in as home theater is as dear to my heart as digital photography (where I was told about this site at Nikoncafe.com)

All the best, Rich

Comment

• sirbogey
                          • Mar 2006

shingo, I was in your shoes 6 months ago and opted for the Panny PT-AE900U , which is the predecessor of the 100U. In my case, it was an upgrade from a 4y old Optoma with many quality issues. The Panny turned out to be a great pj! the picture quality is amazing, provided you get decent cables. And I don't even have an HD player yet.

I prefered the Panny over the Sanyo because of

1) it's short throw lens; since my living room is quite small right now
                          2) the joystick to adjust the lens; makes it extremely easy to position the picture
                          3) the fact that the fans are located in front and on the sides of the pj, meaning you can put it on a shelf or right next to the wall...

good luck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Welcome to The Guide , Rich.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

I'd also like to point out that you can not watch 1080i material on a 720p display in it's native resolution. The source will be slashed down to 720i and then to 720p. While a 720p projector will be great fun, eventually things are going to move and settle on 1080i/1080p. Right now 1080p projectors are about $5k, but have dropped from $20k in just two years. It sounds to me that this is something you hope to keep for some time. If I were you I would wait another year or so and save a bit more. I'm positive it won't be long before 1080p projection will be available at the popular $3k mark.
                              ~Nick

Comment

• draganm
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                If I were you I would wait another year or so and save a bit more. I'm positive it won't be long before 1080p projection will be available at the popular $3k mark.
                                actually it's already here, the Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl can be bought for as low as $3200. Of course whether or not you want to deal with a Sony product and all the Panel misalignment problems is another topic for discussion. I'm not a DLP/LCD user but If I had to pick a product it would have to be the latest Panny or maybe the HC1000? They're not 1080 but at least you will get something that's fairly reliable.

Comment

• satchm0
                                  • Jan 2007

I've got the Panasonic PT-AX100U and would highly recommend it for your first PJ. Very easy to set up and with your 14' distance, you'll find the Panny well suited.

Sports in HD will blow you away, even on a 110" screen. I don't have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet, but I can only imagine.

You have my vote (FWIW) on the Panny.

Comment

• Rich Gibson
                                    • Jan 2007

As I mentioned above; I've owned only the Sanyo PLV Z1 & Z2 and can attest to their excellent reliability. I'd check around and get feedback from those who own the brand/product, then make your decision.

Rich

Comment

• blownrx7
                                      • Dec 2004

You will be more than happy with the Sanyo PLV-Z5

Shingo,
                                      I just purchased the Sanyo PLV-Z5 and use it , for now, with a 13' throw with no issues. I really am happy with the purchase.
                                      Like you, I have a totally light-controlled room, so the extra output of the Panny was somethng I did not need and could save quite a lot of money because of it. Setup is ridiculously easy as far as setting screen size, position etc.
                                      Yeah, you could wait for 1080P prices to come down or pay the extra bucks and get it now, but after looking at the picture I got with a regular dvd, I see no point in blowing your budget or waiting.
                                      Just mho, but you will be VERY happy with the Sanyo in your HT room and the money in your wallet to buy some good cables or improve your speakers etc.

Comment

• Anton
                                        • Oct 2004

I'm in the same boat Shingo. I can't decide between the Pana or Sanyo. My wife is sick of hearing about it.

Based on my reaserch and viewing both projectors:

If you have a dedicated room with controlled lighting the Sanyo with its sharp and detailed picture is a good pick. Add to this dual HDMI, Dual componet and a great warranty.

The Panan does have brightness on it's side which helps with a less then ideal lighting and the Smooth Screen Technology makes the picture more "cinema like". Great PQ and it's out of the box colour is deemed to be excelent.

I've read alot of reviews and I'm still torn. In some reviews the Z5 comes out on top, in others the Pana is the winner.

In my living room where the projector is going I have less then ideal lighting conditions and close seating position (10 feet from screen) makes me lean towards the Pana but the great PQ and warranty pulls me back to the Sanyo.

I don't think I've helped. But thats my $0.02.
                                        Canadian heart, Aussie home!

Comment

• IllNastyImpreza
                                          • Jan 2008

if you want to get in the game right away, check out ebay for a decent 720P. My brothers friend got a decent sharp DLP 720p (refurbished) for 300 bucks shipped, and it throws a NICE image. This way you will get to get into the excitment and get an idea of what you like and don't like.

But I would definatly recomend waiting a little while to drop any serious money , for a good 1080P to come down in price

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • May 2003

There's little arguing with a nice 720p projector for $300 (shipped).
                                            I recently bought a new Acer 720p FPTV for $600 shipped and it's been a great interim projector.
                                            Also don't miss the previous thread below named "Mits HC4900 is insanely cheap" which showed the 1080p Mitsubishi projector for around $1300, which is unprecedentedly low for such a impressive FPTV.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"