X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Two subs, one output?

Hello,
    I have been using an older Polk Sub but recently came upon an Earthquake sub. I want to hook both up, but my Denon 3803 only has one Sub RCA output. Can I run my other sub off of the subs outputs? Does it matter which sub I set up first? Hope you are following this... So the Receiver RCA to my Earthquake, then to my Polk, or RCA to Polk and then Earthquake? No difference? My Earthquake has better specs and such, but I haven't tested it yet. Thanks.
    Roly
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Just buy an RCA-type splitter. Connect one long cable run from the receiver to the splitter and then two short runs of cable, one to each sub.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Earthquake Subs are pretty darn good. I have used them in the past. Just buy you a "Y" cable and hook that to the Sub out. Then you can hook both subs up out if one sub out.

Spend some time adjusting the levels of the sub and calibrating your system.
      Enjoy! :T
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Darn sorry David, there was no post when I first started to type. Sorry bro

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I have 2 subs connected to my Denon 3801 using the Y splitter as others have suggested. Works great.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Jim, would that count as a "snipe"?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

na bro......It's all good. I was not born in Texas but I got there as fast as I could! (Then I had to move...but I still LOVE TEXAS! :yesnod: ) So.....all is good! I just felt stupid posting almost the same stuff. :yesnod:

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Hope it's clear mate, the "Y" splitter everyone is talking about is a RCA (short) cable that has a two female ends to a single male end ^_^ so you can take a signal from a single output jack a split it to two separate sources.
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Rolyasm
                  • Dec 2004

I think I got it. It is interesting that my Polk has a red and white RCA labeled "filtered" and a single RCA labeled "unfiltered". The Polk manual states the single out on the Denon to the single Polk input is the best connection. My Polk wasn't expensive. If it is a better connection, I wonder why the Earthquake only has the red/white dual option? Any thoughts?
                  Roly

Comment

• Snap
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2005

Oh yeah forgot.....Earthquake makes all their subs that way. I used another "Y" cable that was 1 end female to 2 ends male, to connect my Earthquake. So 2 Y cables all to gether! I should have remembered that. Or you can just hook it up to one or the other. I recomend using the 2nd Y cable.
                    Last edited by Clive; 27 September 2005, 12:30 Tuesday.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Snap, Just out of curiousity, did you notice a difference in hormonics or freq. output when you added the second "Y" connector?

Just need your opinion for reference.
                      CLIVE

Comment

• Snap
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2005

Uncle Clive: The bass had to be adjusted higher than when I ran just one sub on the receiver. If I adjusted it at the sub I had to open it up to much and the subs amp started to distort. So raising the sig at the receiver helped that problem. I thought that it made it a "tad" more muddy on some stuff.

My thoughts were the LFE can be more forgiving than the mains, so I thought I had some room to play with.

So I guess the answer would be yes. Nothing major to the ears. But noticable none the less.

One main thing I found was swapping out Y cords for a better Y helped out a bunch. NXG swapped to Pro-Flex did make a diff as well. The NXG cable was...."lacking"

Hope that answers your question.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                          • Dec 2004

Since we are talking subs, my Polk sub has a crossover knob of something like 60-160, which I think I understand. The Earthquake has one that goes from 40-160. First question is this.. 1) Will having the different abilities on each affect the sound. Will I have to compensate the Earthquake to match the Polk since the Earthquake can cross lower. I currently have them both set about 80, but when I get into my new setup, which is soon, I plan to start tweeking? 2) What the heck is the Phase of 0 and 180 for. I swith it back and forth and really can't tell a difference. I admit I am no audio expert, but does this button really do something? Thanks all.
                          Roly

Comment

• Snap
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2005

I would say that having 2 totally different subs is definatly going to be an issue. It was for me. THat is one of the main reasons I scraped the 2 sub plan. I tried at first to calibrate the system with both subs at the same time. That did not work. I then did them 1 at a time. I spent a Sat trying to get them to match up. I am not the expert like Sonnie or some of the other guys. But I personally could not get them to sound good together. It sounded to me like it was "lopsided" Either the left side of the room was boomy and the right was good, or the other way.

One of the issues you are probably going to run into is if the Polk can not produce the same low freq that the earthquake can....that could be an issue at some points of the movie.

The cool thing about this Hobby, is you get to play with things and adjust stuff, and then start over and do it some more. I would be willing to bet that you will eventually go to one sub. Or you will get another Polk or Earthquake to match them up.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                              • Dec 2004

Snap,
                              Any thoughts on the phase switch? Am I the only one that can't hear any difference?
                              Roly

Comment

• Snap
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2005

The Phase Select switch is there to sync the "in/out" movment of the speaker with your mains to ensure optimum sound. Typically it is set at 0.

Most of the time it depends on where your Sub is located in relation to your mains.

The best thing that I can say is Take a seat where you normally would, listen to both positions and see what sounds best to you. Then leave the switch alone.

(Some times I have heard a decrease in Bass response with that switch in a diff pos. But alas lots of times, I have not been able to tell the dif. ) I wish I had more to say but I don't.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

Snap (Jim) is correct. If you should change over the red and black wires on your speakers you'd create the same effect (out-of phase) It means that instead of the speakers pushing outwards when a signal is sent it pulls inwards. Most times the "out-of-phase" effect is used when speakers are facing each other in a push/pull motion to keep the sound waves going in the same direction. (Simply put)

Just some additional explanation there mate ^_^
                                  CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"