X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umasgrad
    • Jul 2006

Optical inferiór to RCA ?

Hi all,
    I thought this was so simple! optical being digital should be better than analog RCA connector!! Well, seems not to be the case... atleast for stereo listening

My setup is
    Rotel RSX-1057
    BW 602
    REL STROM V
    Monster Optical interconnect
    Local RCA stereo cable
    sony DVD player DVP-NS575

I connected the Optical out of my sony DVD player to 1057 and mapped it to DVD. I also connected the Audio line out RCA of the sony to the CD-in of the 1057. AS I listen to different CDs I switched my 1057 inputs between CD and DVD alternatingly. It was very very clear that the RCA connected CD input had an upper edge in terms of clarity. I thought something was wrong with the DSP setting of CD and DVD, but both were on stereo mode (NO DSP). ACtually the difference was very profound on the highs, the RCA (unbranded from super market) had clean highs compared to the optical. Beats me...

thanks
  • CombatWombat
    • Jul 2006

I never liked optical personaly, Dig coax all the way

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Let me get this straight? You are compairing a Rotel CD player to a Sony DVD player???? Did I miss something here?????

If I misread your post then I am sorry, but If I got it right redo your test!

Use both analog and digital out of the SAME CD or DVD player and make your side by side test. Othewise...........

Well I would be upset if the Rotel did not sound better.

But that is just my thoughts....
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• umasgrad
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Snap
        Let me get this straight? You are compairing a Rotel CD player to a Sony DVD player???? Did I miss something here?????

If I misread your post then I am sorry, but If I got it right redo your test!

Use both analog and digital out of the SAME CD or DVD player and make your side by side test. Othewise...........

Well I would be upset if the Rotel did not sound better.

But that is just my thoughts....
        I will be disappointed to! No, I am checking the audio quality of the same setup, ROTEL Receiver and SONY DVD player with Optical interconnects vs Stereo RCA interconnect for Music listening.

Comment

• umasgrad
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CombatWombat
          I never liked optical personaly, Dig coax all the way
          I never tested Coax, may that will be an interesting test.

I dont know if the problem is

With SONY Line out vs Optical out quality,
          Rotel Digital Optical in vs Analong in Quality
          or the
          interconnects. I guess I need another DVD player to test.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I go by my ears and honestly, I don't hear a difference between coax and optical.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

He didn't do that test yet. He connected the analog outputs of the Sony DVD player (RCA) with supermarket cables, and compared to a Toslink connection with the same unit.

That is kind of weird. Implies the DACs in your Sony DVD player are doing a markedly better job than the ones in the Rotel. Which is possible I guess. Just seems like the Rotel, being pretty new and all, would do a good clean job compared to an older Sony DVD deck.

Try coax though. Maybe something is up with your optical chain.

BB

Comment

• umasgrad
                • Jul 2006

I will get the coax and post the result.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by umasgrad
                  ACtually the difference was very profound on the highs, the RCA (unbranded from super market) had clean highs compared to the optical. Beats me...

thanks
                  Don't laugh but I read about this on another forum where someone actually had forgotten to remove the little clear plastic protectors from the ends of his toslink optical cable. Everything cleard up wondefully after he figgured that out.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                    Don't laugh but I read about this on another forum where someone actually had forgotten to remove the little clear plastic protectors from the ends of his toslink optical cable. Everything cleard up wondefully after he figgured that out.
                    i had a customer return a reciever because it was "defective"
                    not only had he done that but he shoved the toslink cable in reversed so we couldnt remove the cable w/o pliers... of course he wasnt intrested in us instaling it for him :roll:

Comment

• Russ L
                      • Jul 2006

umasgrad- In the manual for my Benchmark DAC1 their engineers recommend using a coaxial cable in over an optical in from my DVD/CD Player because "TOSLINK optical connections work well at sample rates up to 96 kHz but may be unreliable or non-functional at higher sample rates (such as 192 kHz). We suggest using either the XLR or coaxial digital inputs at sample rates above 96kHz". I hope this helps explain the difference you heard. I followed their advice. If you need more info the Benchmark website has a downloadable manual for the DAC1. -Russ
                      Russ

Comment

• umasgrad
                        • Jul 2006

I tried out the COAX, RCA, Optical. But First, DrJRapp and PeterS Thank you its a good point. Sometimes in the excitement with the New system and all it is possible to do such things. Luckily I did not do that mistake of either connecting with the wraps or forcing the cable. Here are my results, ofcourse these are subjective...

I connected all three cables to different source inputs and alternated between them. The RCA and COAX were great, I could not tell the difference. The optical was not good as either. I conencted the optical to the second optical port on the receiver did not make a difference. I dont know if I have change the cable and try out. Does not matter as long as the COAX works for digital input, I stay with it.

Comment

• umasgrad
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                          umasgrad- In the manual for my Benchmark DAC1 their engineers recommend using a coaxial cable in over an optical in from my DVD/CD Player because "TOSLINK optical connections work well at sample rates up to 96 kHz but may be unreliable or non-functional at higher sample rates (such as 192 kHz). We suggest using either the XLR or coaxial digital inputs at sample rates above 96kHz". I hope this helps explain the difference you heard. I followed their advice. If you need more info the Benchmark website has a downloadable manual for the DAC1. -Russ
                          What is XLR ? I think I will follow the advice on Coax too!

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

I generally prefer coax over optical as a good coax is cheaper than a good optical, otherwise their performance shouldn't be dissimilar given equal quality and assuming there's no technical problems with either. Also my guess is that your optical cable is made of plastic and not actual glass fibre which could be some of the difference as well.
                            Jason

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

umasgrad- The XLR is for balanced inputs, something I don't have on my Rotel RSX-1057. I think their available on the higher cost amps(or is it CD players?!) which have a balanced or dual amp circuitry for each channel inside of them . Believed to cut down on distortion+ improve SQ. I heard of a Classe Pre-Pro or Amp that has that:?? Out of my league! Mid Grade Equipment like mine doesn't have it so I don't worry. Others will know more than me about balanced XLR interconnections :B .-Russ
                              Last edited by Russ L; 26 July 2006, 12:27 Wednesday. Reason: ADd Line
                              Russ

Comment

• umasgrad
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                umasgrad- The XLR is for balanced inputs, something I don't have on my Rotel RSX-1057. I think their available on the higher cost amps(or is it CD players?!) which have a balanced or dual amp circuitry for each channel inside of them . Believed to cut down on distortion+ improve SQ. I heard of a Classe Pre-Pro or Amp that has that:?? Out of my league! Mid Grade Equipment like mine doesn't have it so I don't worry. Others will know more than me about balanced XLR interconnections :B .-Russ
                                Then I guess XLR should wait for my home... I just drained my wallet with the Rotel and REL. My wife is already mad : . Anyway I am very happy with the current new set up :W

Comment

• NonSense
                                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by umasgrad
                                  What is XLR ? I think I will follow the advice on Coax too!

XLR is a balanced type of interconnect using three signals.

1 - Audio Signal
                                  2 - Audio Signal Inverted
                                  3 - common

The advantage is its ability to reject common mode noise. This makes shielding is less of an issue in noisy environments. You also usually get a net 3db signal gain on the TL over a single ended cable. For whatever that is worth.

Some systems are designed to accomodate balanced signals through the entire signal chain. In this situation the manufacturers often recommend taking advantage of this type on interconnect to maximize performance.
                                  Bruce

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

So basically we've concluded that his Sony DVD player's optical output is inferior to the coax and analog connections. I know how that goes!
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• jim777
                                      • Mar 2005

The only reason one should choose optical over coax is to avoid ground loops in some cases. It does not connect a common signal between components.

Otherwise it implies additionnal circuitry and I'm sure more jitter (because the optical receivers are not calibrated to have the same rise-time and fall-time (0to1 and 1to0) in a given setup).

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"