X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • labman1
    • May 2003

What to upgrade to from the Panny RP-91

Need some suggestions. The 91 has given me a few years of good use, should I wait for HD DVD or upgrade now?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, the Denon 2900 and 5900 seems pretty hot right now. What's the budget anyway?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Depends on your needs/wants...? The Denon 2200 is a good low cost option, the 2900 is a very good mid-cost and the 5900 is an awesome higher-price option. All do both high-res audio fortmats is that's important? The Yamaha 2300 is another good "universal" player. Lex just bought a beast from Samsung which is just becoming available. It's catered more towards the video side but does include DVD-A. Rotel makes a pretty good player as well but also is just DVD-A capable (I was a bit dissapointed in that ) So what's yoour needs? I assume progressive scan? (pretty standard now anyways), Faroudja? SACD/DVD-A? Do you want upscaled video? DVI output? What's the budget?

I decided to wait to spend big bucks on a player until I can get an HD-DVD, DVI output, SACD and DVD-A all in one player. So I went and bought a Denon 1600 last year that does darn good video and DVD-A for not much $. The 2200 would be it's replacement and also does SACD.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• labman1
        • May 2003

Budget is $500. I'm getting ready to purchase either a Infocus 4805 or the Optoma H30 so progressive scan is a must and I like the scaling the RP91 does. The H30 does not have DVI but the 4805 will so DVI connection will play a part in my decision. I have DVD-A so would like that format SACD I can take or leave. Thanks for the input.

Steve

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi ya Steve. Diboll Texas? I have family from Alto, Lufkin, Rusk, etc. Welcome to The Guide! :later:

I also have an RP-91 as my primary DVD player, so I'll be watching this thread with interest. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• labman1
            • May 2003

David,
            Small world, I work in Lufkin, actually I live half way between Diboll and Lufkin. As you know there is really no store around here to demo any higher end equipment. So I read the forums and reviews and if I'm in Houston or Dallas I try to demo what I might purchase. All my system has been bought over the net or delivered from the factory. So far I have been happy with every purchase The MC-8 was a no brainer and the Von SChweikert 7.1 speaker set up I heard in an individuals house but I'm leary about buying a FP with out seeing it first. The Panny has been great and it will take a good damn machine to replace it. I was hoping Lex would jump in again. Take care.

Steve

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Steve, sorry I sort of got off track there. :

I strongly recommend waiting a year to replace the RP-91. With the introduction of the "universal" players recently, I'd let the technology/price variables settle in so that when you do upgrade, you'll have a good solid year-plus for the design and implementation people to get any bugs out of the way and get more value into the units. Now, it'll be late fall at the very earliest (I'm guessing here) before we see any type of HD-DVD units, if then. The Christmas selling season would be a good time to introduce them it they are available, but there again, I'd wait until the initial bugs have been worked out before plunging into that arena, too.

Like you said the 91 is a fine machine so why hurry?

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"