Let's talk PREPROs $1500-3000: what would your choice be?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Let's talk PREPROs $1500-3000: what would your choice be?

I would like to start a discussion on prepros available in the $1500-3000 price range. Please tell us what you would buy or did buy in this price range....and why? We all have various needs and desires: 2 channel vs HT, 5.1 vs 7.1, new vs used, brand/cosmetic preferences, etc.

I'll list a few and count used prices too; of course there are many more choices:

$1500-3000 PREPROS:

B&K Ref 50
    Lexicon MC1 (used): full Logic7, no analog bypass or 5.1 inputs ), so-so for 2 channel (expansion port dacs are a noticeball improvement for 2.0 sound)----but the Sony TA-P9000 5.1 analog preamp for 500 bucks can take care of 2 channel and bypass weaknesses
    Aragon Soundstage (used with the $800 upgrade)
    EAD Ovation (used)

I am playing in the higher end of the price range here with a used MC1 and new Rogue magnum 66 tube preamp with HT bypass unity gain. Not a bad $3k combo that has kept me happy for HT and 2 channel music for almost One Full Ricky Year....which is several years for most forum folks :P
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

B&K Reference 50, no question. Tons of settings and great sound. Logic 7 is nice but I'd rather have a new pre/pro than a used Lexicon (assuming they're the same price).

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
      • Feb 2003

Don't forget the Rotel 1098, which should be out sometime during spring and is at the upper end of this range in terms of cost.

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Is that the one with the screen on it? It's going to come in under $3k? Wow.

Are there specs out there for it? Any links?

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
          • Feb 2003

Try this link from Club Rotel:

Michael

Comment

• RKaufmann
            • Feb 2003

I recently chose the Ref 50 after auditioning the:

Rotel 1066
            Anthem AV20
            Proceed AVP
            Tag McLaren AV32R
            Lexicon MC-1

The reason I chose the Ref 50 was it sounded best to me with the exception of the AVP but the AVP was out of my price range. The Anthem was OK it didn't stand out over the Ref 50, what I didn't like was the learning curve and I hated the remote. The MC-1 was a little too analytical for me but I did love Logic 7! The Rotel sounded bright to me as did the Tag which really surprised me on the Tag. To make sure I auditioned the Ref 50 at three different dealers (auditioning them too!) each were using B&W Nautilus 805's which was as close to my B&W Matrix 805 setup as I could find. To my surprise I thought the Ref 50 sounded best with my equipment.

So after that long winded note, my vote is for the Ref 50.

Cheers,

R. Kaufmann
            R. Kaufmann

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

The Anthem was OK it didn't stand out over the Ref 50, what I didn't like was the learning curve and I hated the remote.
              Huh? What's so difficult about operating/setting-up the AVM-20? It's about as straight forward as it can be.

BTW, what's the going street price on a Ref 50 right now, if you don't mind my asking?

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• dsmith
                • Jan 2003

I wish I could audition everything out there, and new stuff is coming out every day. ATI has a pair of HT units, including one that sounds a lot like the Rotel 1098 and the Parasound Halo C-1 with its 5" TFT screen on the front. I had a phone conversation with a guy at ATI who said they make versions of their unit for other brands, which he could not name of course. Makes me wonder if ATI makes the new Parasound Halo HT units. And I was curious to note that the Sim Audio Stargate processor was made in the USA (Sim is a Canadian company) - maybe ATI again?

Several foreign high end companies are getting into the act, including Primare and Audio Refinement (YBA's affordable line). I did get a chance to audition the Audio Refinement Pre-2, and it sounded really good in analog, and DD was okay too, but the user interface was atrocious, and was not helped by the poorly translated (from French) manual. But for $1,200 it might fit the bill for someone more patient than I.

And don't forget Aragon and Sunfire in this price range (street price). Or Outlaw, if they ever get their piece fixed, which they say they have.

dsmith

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"