Let's talk PREPROs $900-1500: what would your choice be?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Let's talk PREPROs $900-1500: what would your choice be?

I would like to start a discussion on prepros available in the $900-1500 price range. Please tell us what you would buy or did buy in this price range....and why? We all have various needs and desires: 2 channel vs HT, 5.1 vs 7.1, new vs used, brand/cosmetic preferences, etc.

I'll list a few and count used prices too; of course there are many more choices out there:

$900-1500 PREPROS:

Outlaw 950: good sonics, full 7.1, lowest price.
    Rotel 1066: good sonics, full 7.1, looks really good
    EAD Encore (used): good dacs for 2 channel; only 5.1 and DPL1
    Lexicon DC2 (used): great HT with full Logic7 (same audio innards as MC1), no analog bypass or 5.1 inputs, so-so for 2 channel
    Aragon Soundstage (used, without the $800 upgrade): has "inside" Aragon best analog preamp, the $2k Aurum. Only 5.1 and DPL1
    Acurus Act3 (used) with the $950 upgrade: has most of Aragon Soundstage features and processing, and near sound quality

These are all great choices and can be confusing :P
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

For a pure HT environment where you can do 7.1 I'd pick the DC2 but if you can't take advantage of Logic 7 and audio is important the Rotel is my pick.

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

I love my Rotel RSP-1066.For the money it's tough to beat.Sounds great in HT and 2 channel.

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

We should add some of the other soon to be released (or so we hope) pre/pros in this class. The Outlaw clones:

ATI ATP-7500 (might have that model # wrong)
        Sherbourn PT-7000 http://www.sherbourn.com/products/PT-7000.html
        Atlantic Technology P-2000 http://www.atlantictechnology.com/system_P-2000.htm
        Others??

The only unique pre/pro with a release not far away (that I'm aware of) is:

Sherwood Newcastle P-958 http://www.sherwoodusa.com/2002produ...HTML/P958.html

I don't think the minor differences offered by the Outlaw clones really distinguishes them from their source. However, the Sherwood is very interesting to me (especially if they price it right). A hopeful Spring release is all I've been able to find out for sure.

Anyone know of anything else? Will Sony's long rumored follow-up to the 9000es ever come out? (if so, it'll probably come in slightly out of this price range)

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• RedStep
          • Sep 2002

For the Money, I do not know how you could beat the Rotel RSP 1066...(DD, DTS, DPL2, DTS ES, Neo 6, 7.1) And I think it even does the laundry And the sound quality, not to mention the build quality. Then ease of operation & upgrade ability. We always have to say "for the money" But this component rivals the coveted B&K Ref 50

RedStep
          We are truly a product of the decisions we make
          RedStep
          We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"