Let's talk PREPROs $3000-6000: what would your choice be?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

would like to start a discussion on prepros available in the $3-6k price range. Please tell us what you would buy or did buy in this price range....and why? We all have various needs and desires: 2 channel vs HT, 5.1 vs 7.1, new vs used, brand/cosmetic preferences, etc.

I'll list a few and count used prices too; of course there are many more choices:

$3000-6000 PREPROS:

Anthem AVM20
    Integra Research
    Aragon Stage One
    Tag
    Theta Casablanca (used)
    Lexicon MC12 (used)
    EAD?
    Meridian?
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

How much is the Lexicon MC-8? That would be high on my list.

Having owned an Anthem I can say it will compete favorably with the assembled cast of characters. Feature-wise it is only beat by the Lexicons and in terms of performance it can hang with the best of them in both 2-channel and surround applications.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Jon SS
      • Oct 2002

You could also add the Parasound Halo (C1 and C2) which are both supposed to be good. haven't seen any reviews yet though.

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Personally I love the sound of ARC pre-amps. For this price range you could get something like a used LS 5 MK II for under $2000, which many feel can only be beat by the newer Reference pre's, this allows plenty of money left over for a decent AV processor for your multi channel movies. Next choice would be a used ARC Ref. 1, combined with a less expensive processor. Neither of these have a AV bypass so you would have to plug and unplug interconnects when going from music to movies but, you would have a top notch 2 channel pre-amp. If you don't want to have to switch out interconnects you could get a more up to date ARC pre-amp like the LS 25 MK II or the 16. These have AV bypass to use with your movie processor but, they have a little less of the distinct ARC sound that I have come to like. Many people feel they are an improvement though.
        Of course in this price range you can get any number of used AV pre pros like a Theata Casablanca, or Lexicon, Meridian, etc. I have come to prefer all my music to go through a pre-amp rather than a movie processor. Even though I have a Casablanca II with Extreme DACs I much prefer my CDs played through my used ARC pre amp.

Comment

• Rich B
          • Jun 2002

From what I've been reading about the new Parasound Halo line: C1 @ $6K and C2 @$4K (list prices) have all the features that would make me quite happy.

check out this info (cool site BTW):
          http://www.gspr.com/parasound/h_c1c2.html

Rich B.

Comment

• Jariten
            • Jun 2000

Parasound C1 and C2

Oh yeah ^_^

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yeah, one of my "dream" systems is the C-1 teamed with at least 3 of the JC-1 monoblocks. :T Although, like I've said before, I'm not all that crazy about the little video display in the middle of the C-1's front panel. Just call me old fashioned. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Well, since I brought up the Parasound a week ago, I'm obviously going to have to throw in my vote with it! :W :B

One of the HT mags has recently reviewed it, Home Theater Magazine; they were drooling over it, but understandably, that's not quite the same level of endorsement as a similar review from SGHT, or Widescreen Review. STILL, their comments about sonic and functionality were uniformly positive, especially for the analog sound, balanced inputs and outputs, and the availability of wideband video switching compatible with both component video and RGBHV. THAT is the "killer" feature for me! :B

Doesn't leave much to discuss, though, does it, except how will I manage to come up with $6k? :W

~Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Jon, do you really want to watch movies on that tiny tiny little screen? You can't even see the cars on the Golden Gate Bridge in that scene.

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, but I've got this really, really big fresnel lens (ever see "Brazil"?), and this way I can make my HT fit in the bedroom- total convenience. Just have the Pre-Pro on a dumbwaiter doohickey that drops down from the ceiling over the bed....

:rofl:

~Jon

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KS
                      • Jun 2002

This is a tough one as I'm sure there are many worthy candidates. My first choice for sound would be the Theta with extreme dacs. I don't think I've ever heard anything better but getting one at 6k or less would be tough.

I own the TAG av32r-bp192 and enjoy it very much. Two channel is excellent and processing is first rate. The biggest thing I think TAG has going is it's upgrade ability. My unit will go in soon for upgrade to the newest version which contains a pretty sophisticated room equalization program. Their upgrades are complete and not just a dress up. TAG seems to stay very current or actually ahead of the market in new offerings. The downside to TAG is the upgrades are costly and the unit must be sent back to the factory in England.

The Parasound looks very nice but I haven't had any experience with it. I really was close to buying the Theta but they seem so slow with upgrades and there is nothing that isn't very expensive. I would buy TAG again and have every intention of staying with them.

Ken

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

The fresnels in Brazil are puny, we got some 6'+ ones at work. Big screen gameboy, here I come!

BB

Comment

• labman1
                          • May 2003

I would have to say for Ht the Lexicon Mc-8. I can't say how it sounds for 2 channel music but give me a week and I will write a review. I don't think the Lex can be beat for HT and now with their new platform it is totally upgradeable. the Mc-1 was a very good piece but sadly Lex laid it to rest But redeemed theirselves with the trade up program. I was happy with the MC-1 but for $1400 and my Mc-1 I couldn't resist the upgrade. I will do a comparision next week between the 8 and the 1.
                          Steve

Comment

• Phil Rose
                            • Aug 2000

The Bryston SP-1.7 might be worth considering as well.

Comment

• Steve
                              • Aug 2000

Brystons got my vote.

Steve

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Another vote for Parasound HALO equipment. 'nuff said for now.

CHRIS
                                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

For those who haven't already explained their choice, I'd kind of like to know WHY you guys "vote" the way you do.

Is it due to exceptional features for the price of the particular unit that you like? (Please list some of the features that really turn you on about the unit in contrast with other units you looked at -- what is the "deal breaking" feature for you?) Were you bowled over by the sound during a demo? Is this the "holy grail" of sound for you or a stepping stone in a longer term journey to sonic nirvana?

Does it mate well with existing equipment in your system or will it be the impetus for a round of further upgrades? Is the front panel color reminiscent of a fine cognac that makes your nostrils flare just from remembering the time you sipped it slowly while watching the sun set? Does the name of the component drive you wild with thoughts of ancient orgies? Or did it just happen to be the first thing you saw after vowing to never again buy any brand carried at Best Buy or Circuit City? :>)

Just asking -- of course it isn’t necessary to answer ALL those questions, but inquiring minds want to know more . :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Well, I sort of explained in my separate post about the Halo.

The video switching in most pre-pro's is useless for me. The Halo has, IMO, truly "professional" capabilities, because it can handle wideband component and/or RGB HV. I would take a close look on the bench at how good the video bandwidth and behavior is, but for video and audio source switching to be worthwhile to me, it must have RGBHV capability, because of my exclusive use of projection displays, usually with HTPC sources.

Also, the Halo has an excellent assortment of balanced inputs and outputs, and a full byapss available on a balanced input. The converters are pretty good as this type of unit goes, and with the built in display, should I chose to get more into DVD Audio, at least one could power up and navigate the more complex disks without having a video unit per se on. The use of menus in DVDA disks is just a pain in the rear as far as I'm concerned, compared with SACD.

'Nuf said?

~Jon

Earth First!
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"