Lexicon vs newer Ref50/Anthem/Rotel/Outlaw for DVDs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Lexicon vs newer Ref50/Anthem/Rotel/Outlaw for DVDs?

Just wondering if any former or current Lexicon DC1/DC2/MC1 owners think these Lexicons compare to the newer prepros for DVD sound? I am not talking about features. Just how does it make a 5.1/6.1 DVD sound?
  • jaakan
    • Dec 2002

The Rotel RSP 1066 is on par with the Lexicon's DC2 sound wise but at a much lower price.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Actually I think you will find on DTS and Dolby Digital, virtually all pre/pros of reasonable quality will deliver surround sound that is quite good. (Not talking about brand-proprietary modes like Logic 7 where no comparison is possible.) In the past couple of years I have listened to models from Lexicon (MC-1), Meridian, Theta, Parasound, Anthem (AVM-2 & AVM-20), Proceed, B&K (Ref 30 & Ref 50) , Integra Research, Bryston, Outlaw, Yamaha and Denon (those last three brands were receivers rather than pre/pros) and all did very well on the standard flavors of movie soundtrack surround sound.

They distinguished themselves from one another on features and user interface (even though the surround sound may have been pretty much equivalent in quality of sound, the way the various modes are set up and selected may vary quite a bit brand-to-brand, for instance) -- and, of great importance to those who plan to have a"converged" system --- on two channel (stereo) music. Some units that sound terrific on surround material were not-so-hot on stereo music, but all units that I listened to that sounded good on music also sounded good in their surround modes.

Ultimately, it is worth listening for yourself and deciding whether a newer unit is worth the price of an upgrade. Newer units may also have newer surround modes such as Dolby ProLogic 2 or THX EX that are of interest to you that may skew the comparison if they are not on the older unit(s). However, if your interest is primarily DTS and DD 5.1 surround and you have already invested in an earlier Lexicon, you may be pleasantly surprised at how well it keeps up with the current competion in that area.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ricky
        • Aug 2000

Jaakan,

The Rotel can keep up with a DC2 in 5.1 Logic7 in a properly setup 7 speaker room?

Burke,

I agree that the differences are close, especially if you remove the proprietary features. However, I am asking if the Lexicons in full 5.1 Logic7 have fallen behind these others as they utilize non-Logic7 7.1 processing on 5.1/6.1 sources (ie, DD-EX, 6.1DTS, THX Ultra2).

Comment

• jaakan
          • Dec 2002

The Current version of Logic 7 in the MC12 is not the same as the old Logic7 for the DC2. It was fully rewritten for MC12.

Rotel use XS (internal processing) pretty transparently to expands 5/6.1 to 7 channels. There is no logo for XS that lights up when it's working. Rotel 1066 vs Logic7 (DC2) in a 7-channel setup... DC2 sounds a little more processed on 5.1/6.1 with L7.

Comment

• Bruce
            • Aug 2000

Rotel use XS (internal processing) pretty transparently to expands 5/6.1 to 7 channels.
            This is simply code developed and provided by Cirrus Logic with the DSP chip in addition to DD and DTS. It is used by other HT prepro/receiver manufacturers (like Outlaw) as well.

Bruce

Comment

• Ricky
              • Aug 2000

jaakan,

So you have a good 7 speaker setup and don't miss Logic7 after going from DC2 to the Rotel?

Comment

• jaakan
                • Dec 2002

It's a nice option but don't miss. Plus the system I setup for my Dad uses Ohm Walshs, all channels blend really without extra DSP stuff even with straight 5.1. The system the I helped setup for a HIFI store, use MC12 with B&W ser 8XXs or Polk LSIs depending on the day, seem to need Logic7, it's partly the room and a partly the speakers.

Comment

• infinitiqx4
                  • Jan 2003

I am going 7 channels of Polk LSi with sub, with 7 channels of external amplification (Parasound 2205 and 1500). I need help choosing a pre/pro or receiver to act as pre/pro. I have had a hard time figuring out the Logic7 and other options for 7channel from non-7channel material. So the Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950 both offer a feature to do 7channels from 5.1? I also noticed that HK receiver models with Logic7 can not handle 5.1 to Logic7, only stereo?

Budget isn't tight, but bang for the buck is always my main goal. Here I just don't understand all the options for 7 channels though...

Comment

• dsmith
                    • Jan 2003

The only digital I have heard in my system are H/K AVR520, Bryston SP-1, and Audio Refinement Pre2DSP, which I auditioned. All sound good on movies, but the Bryston is definitely a little cleaner and dynamic, as should be expected.

But what really surprised me about the Bryston SP-1 was the Dolby Pro Logic. I have been listening to DPL for years, and of course the new DPLII is a big improvement. But I was shocked that with the Bryston DPL sounded as good as DPLII in the front channels. Apparently they used a new or better version and it really impressed me. It was so good I would consider it a waste to spend $1,000 to upgrade to the SP-1.7 to get DPLII - but then of course the 6.1 analog inputs are the big plus. But those of you who think DPL is inherently inferior to DPLII may think otherwise if you heard it in the SP-1. Now the rear speakers are where the big difference lies, as even the Bryston version of DPL just gives mono ambience in the surrounds. But most two channel soundtracks don't have much in the rear effects anyway, so no big loss.

dsmith

Comment

• JohnT
                      • Jan 2003

Ricky,

It took me a while but I joined up . This is a good thread for my first post, After having gone though the lex dc-1, dc-2, mc-1 and h/k avr8000 and having compared it to none logic 7 pre-pros and recievers I must say that logic 7 in a properly setup environment is the best surround processing there is . I currently have the aragon soundstage for a couple of reasons, the first being that I moved into a smaller ht room and the second is that I was looking for a bit more resolution/ dynamics then I was getting with the lex.

I must say the soundstage has worked out great for me, the first reason is that it is so transparent and the dynamics and impact are top notch in music but ht as well. The soundstage it throws is huge and the analog bypass is the best Ive had, especially for my turntable (I need a good dac to go along with it) ..the aragons dacs are fine but I can take advantage of the soundstages best asset by getting an external dac. Im totally satisified with 5.1 sound in my small ht room but if I had a large ht room it would be a tough choice(probably opt for logic 7)...Maybe the mc-8 or mc-12 has the spirited sound of the aragon combined with logic 7 ?? ..as I havent heard these two lexicon units..

Comment

• Ricky
                        • Aug 2000

Ah, the infamous John Tompkins finally shows up :P
                        That Aragon soundstage must be very nice indeed for you to give up Logic 7....lol! But seriously, that prepro comes very highly recommended from highend/exotic dealer John Fairchild (aka Sattothestars), who said "...this is the most under-rated prepro ever...."

btw, see how my profile is configured with current gear and "past" gear....please do the same with yours, if you remember....LOL! I want others to see that I, Andrew Pratt, and Steve Dodds are not the only freaks around....

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"