X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

New Krell Showcase pieces!

Anybody seen or read up on the new Krell Showcase pre-processor and amplifier? Looks to be a real competitor coming in at 4K for the pre-pro fully decked out with balanced inputs and outputs. Of course, the normal plethora of sound processing is standard, RS-232 for software updates, stainless front, good numbers, in short a piece with the sounds of Krell without traditional Krell prices.

Could this change the market as we know it, who's on top?

The Showcase amp is a mere 125 watts, but knowing Krell, that's likely very conservative. It can be configured for as many channels as you want, up to 7, which is what the processor handles. It does double output when the load is halved to 4 ohms, the sign of a worthy competitor. Anxious to see if anyone can give a listen to the new Krells and give us some feedback. Unfortunately, no Krell dealer in my area.

I suppose this could have went to audio as well, but seeing as how it is a home theater processor, it really belongs here.

One catch, no Zone 2 operation, a definite negative for some, but for others, maybe a moot point. Either way, not many zone 2 capable pieces offer the full complement of balanced inputs and outputs unless you step up 3-4K in price. That's groundbreaking stuff!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

It's hard to beleive that we have come to accept $4000 as a bargan in home theater. My original Casablanca didn't cost much more than that and at the time most people that it unaffordable. That said, it does sound like the new Krell could be the king of the hill in that price range.

Comment

• LarryB
      • Dec 2001

Lex:

in short a piece with the sounds of Krell...
      To me, this is a good reason not to buy it, since I most adamantly do not like the sound of Krell gear. I suppose YMMV.

Larry

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well, I was going on the reputation of Krell, not any personal experience with them. We used to have a dealer here, but now we don't, so no way to play with Krell here. Some people do like them, that's all I know.

4K is a bargain compared to a MC-12, or a decked out Theta CB now.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chip
          • Aug 2001

I dunno...

I'd kinda like to think i got the real bargain at $2250.00 for a new Reference50

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
          Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• SiliGoose
            • Aug 2000

Chip,

Yes you did! An awesome price for an awesome piece.

The Showcase isn't upgradeable and has other limitations that make it an oddity in this price range. It sure looks nice but can't compete in terms of features vs. price.

-Sili
            www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"