KRELL Showcase Amplifier and Processor - Experience?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smjc99
    • Mar 2006

KRELL Showcase Amplifier and Processor - Experience?

Does anyone have any opinions on Krell Showcase Amplifer ( 125 times 5 ) and Showcase Processor ?

I think krell Amp's are very good at delivering tight Bass but was wondering how musical they are and if they are warm, bright or neutral sounding

Thanks
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

It really depends on your deifinition of "bright" or "neutral". I feel that Krell has always been more on the "neutral" side of things. Their claim to fame, so to speak, has been their natural, deep, "quick", and powerful bass abilities. I find them...."crisp" and "clear" and "precise". Of course, its hard to try and explain that in a way that others would understand.

Borrow one and listen.

Comment

• smjc99
      • Mar 2006

Thanks Audiophiliac

I meant bright implying fatigue sounding at high volumes especially when the recording is good to listen at moderate volumes

Comment

• worldys
        • Dec 2005

i ran my b&w nautilus home theater with an HTS 5.1 mkii and a showcase amp, was happy with the match, i thought the showcase processor wasn't as crisp or refined as the hts and since i didn't need a 7 channel processor, i went with the hts

i am now using a classe ssp75 and cav75, it doesn't have as much power but at low to moderate volumes, i think the classe gear is more nuanced

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

The showcase amps are great entry level krell. what speakers are you running them with ?

I have krell amps, but found mixing them with mark levinson preamps a nice combo

Comment

• smjc99
            • Mar 2006

Me and my cousing audtioned Krell Amp's with the new Sonus Faber Grand Paino Domus speakers

Krell Showcase is 125 times 5 but I think they have high current and hoping it is plenty for 90DB SF Domus

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

I'm moving this to the Audio Hideout since it has nothing specific to do with B&W and you will get a widr range of opinions there...

Geoff

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

I'd reconsider the Showcase amp... 125 x5 doesnt seem like it would be enough power to satisfy for a long period of time. For me, when I spend that sum of money on a showcase amp, I expect it to be around until there's something revolutionary in amps. I'd aim for 200+ watts.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Grit,

I agree with you... Now the Krell Theatre Standard (a nice 200-250W a channel) that's a nice amp

Scarey the effects it can create...

Geoff

Comment

• smjc99
                    • Mar 2006

Grit and Aussie,
                    if I get Krell theater Standard Amp can I match it with Krell Showcase Processor?

Not sure if I have to upgarde To theater processor, I rather not if Showcase processor is good enough.

Comment

• kurtholz
                      • Feb 2005

i use a showcase processor with home theater standard amp with my B & W 802d's, also a KAV 3250 for rear surrounds and rear center,

incredible sound, you can't do better i think, though the arcam dv29 dvd/cd player di bring out a lot more in those formats, have a sony 9000 sacd coming, will let you know how that goes

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

SMJ,

The two work well together... The Theatre Standard Amp looks very serious and sounds... Well scary... One of my favourite HT amps...

Geoff

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by smjc99
                          Grit and Aussie,
                          if I get Krell theater Standard Amp can I match it with Krell Showcase Processor?

Not sure if I have to upgarde To theater processor, I rather not if Showcase processor is good enough.
                          Absolutely! No problem there whatsoever.

Comment

• JimmyNeutron
                            • Mar 2006

I have the SHowcase and absolutely love it - best pre I've had the pleasure of owning. The difference between the Showcase and the 7.1 is two-fold. 1: the 7.1 and the Showcase are identical except for the analog section - it's quieter on the 7.1 (if the Shaocase is any indication then you just won't need anything any quieter). 2: the 7.1 is modular. There's a big price jump from the Showcase to the 7.1 just for a quieter analog section that most no one will use anyway.
                            My website: www.jimmyneutron.org

Comment

• coxhaus
                              • Apr 2006

I own the Krell Showcase 5 amp. It is a very nice little amp with lots of current. It will drive almost any small speaker. I use the Krell HTS 5.1 with it. It is the older processor but I bought used and saved a lot. It has almost everything you need for movies. I only use it for movies. I have a separate 2 channel system on the other end of my house. I first used the Krell system with B&W speakers and then switched to Revel speakers. I bought the following Revel speakers M20x4, B15x2, and C30 for center channel. I like the combination for movies but not 2 channel. The subs and system are tuned for movies not music. In my opinion you have to make to many compromises for both.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"