Emotive mini-x a-100 or Dayton audio apa150?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebayboy98
    • Dec 2012

Emotive mini-x a-100 or Dayton audio apa150?

Hi I am new to this site. I am trying to decide between these 2 amps. They are the emotive mini-x a-100 and the Dayton audio apa150. My goal was something that sounds good and relatively cheap. So this is what I came up with. Emotiva mini x a 100 and the Dayton audio apa150 I really need to know fairly soon. And also the Emotiva upa 500 I just saw this also. So please let me know what your opinion on these amps and also any other suggestions. My price range is probably 350 at most thanks
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

While the Mini-X is pretty nice little amp, it probably wouldn't hold a candle to the UPA-500 and that price is awesome for a 5 channel amp!

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ebayboy98
      Hi I am new to this site. I am trying to decide between these 2 amps. They are the emotive mini-x a-100 and the Dayton audio apa150. My goal was something that sounds good and relatively cheap. So this is what I came up with. Emotiva mini x a 100 and the Dayton audio apa150 I really need to know fairly soon. And also the Emotiva upa 500 I just saw this also. So please let me know what your opinion on these amps and also any other suggestions. My price range is probably 350 at most thanks
      You're asking about three different kinds of products - a two channel amp, a single-channel amp, and a 5-channel amp. Which one do you really need ?

If you are looking for two channels of great sounding, inexpensive amplification, I highly recommend a pair of Audiosource Amp 100's run in bridged mode, delivering 150 watts each. They can be found for around $99.00 each, which works out to $0.66 per watt. They are solidly built, with heavy gauge steel chassis, substantial sized cast aluminum heatsinks, and toroid transformer.

I have used pairs of these amps run in bridged mode to drive my DIY high frequency/midrange cabs and 15" passive pro subs of my party system. The Amp100s ran only warm after hours of continuous use and sounded great.

I have several restored vintage amps in the 150-200+ watt range in my equipment collection that I could have easily used instead of the Audiosource amps. I was just nervous about the risk of physical damage to my classic pieces, and the Audiosource amps worked out to be a nice alternative.

Audiosource Amp100, $99.00 each at Parts Express

Comment

• ebayboy98
        • Dec 2012

Single channel?

Um which one of the amps is single channel. To my knowledge they are at least 2 channel.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ebayboy98
          Um which one of the amps is single channel. To my knowledge they are at least 2 channel.
          My bad, the AP150 is 2-channel. I was thinking of the older Audiosource mono amps, on which the Dayton design is based. Still, the Audiosource Amp100 would be my choice over the Daytons. It has no cooling fan to create noise, larger heatsink area, and you save $56.00 on a brand new pair of them. You can even find them cheaper on eBay. I found them in mint condition for between $60 and $75. BTW, following is a link to an owner "review" with internal shot of the Amp100 from earlier this year.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"