X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bostonmurf
    • Jul 2014

Replacing RCA ports on Emotiva amps

Hi everyone. I'm currently looking into buying a used Emotia XPA-5 but the item has loose RCA ports. i know this is a common problem on Gen 1 Emotiva amps but i wondered if anyone had any experience replacing them? I've contacted Emotive so see if its just a simple swap of a board or more complex. Not sure if this Thread belongs in DIY but i figured it probably does.
    thanks for any help in advance
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Looking at the current XPA-5 picture, they use panel mount jacks that would have wire leads to the board. Depending on what the seller means by loose, repair could be as simple as removing the lid and tightening the nut. The jack can become loose if the cable is inserted or removed with a twisting motion. If loose means that the jacks don't hold a cable well, replacing them should be quite simple. Open, desolder two wires, remove, replace, solder the leads and close. I'd allot maybe half an hour for replacing all 5 jacks. Although some will say you should do a serious upgrade, I have been quite happy with Parts Express RCAs in my DIY amps.

Grab it before the seller realizes how easy the repair is.

Comment

• Mr.Ed
      • Apr 2012

When I had my XPA-3 I damaged one of the input RCA's. All three were mounted on a narrow board that mounted to the back panel. I contacted Emotiva and they sent me replacement jacks and I had the tech at work solder them into the board which I removed and replaced. Easy job.
      -Ed

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

If the jacks are board mounted the only special tool you'll need is some de soldering braid. A solder sucker would be nice to have for getting solder out of the holes once you've pulled the parts off, but not necessary. I've had good results using a wooden toothpick to push the solder out or just blowing it out. I'm a windbag. Should go without saying but just get close without putting your lips to a board with molten solder.

Comment

• bostonmurf
          • Jul 2014

thanks gents, thats a huge help. I've done some soldering so ill give it a try

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"