X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Pioneer speakers which setup to use?

Well these Pioneer speakers have been off and on sale at Newegg for a while now. If you're not familiar with these little speakers they are an incredible value and bang for buck! They sound rather fantastic and impressive for their small size and small price tag. They were designed by Andrew Jones, and a lot of the funds I'd imagine are spent on the crossover.

So anyways I've decided to pick up a set of these for the HT here are the different models at newegg, it should list their sale code as well. The towers are 70 off while the center and smaller bookshelf speakers are 50 off. The bigger bookshelf speakers have gone on sell usually with the others but this week they are not on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117406 <<not on sale unfortunately

So I have a few options I've been thinking of.

A) 3 sets of the tower speakers to use as LCR and Surround backs with 1 set of the small bookshelf speakers as the side surrounds.

B) 3 sets of the towers with the center channel

C) 1 set of towers, one center, and 2 sets of the small bookshelf speakers for the surrounds

My friend and I have been going back and forth all day about using the towers as a center and surrounds saying he's never liked towers as surrounds. I'll be running this for now off an Onky TX-SR805 with Audyssey doing it's work.

Obviously option C is the cheapest, while option A and B are pretty close in price. All fit into budget just fine though.

Oh and this is going for a projector setup and I'm going to be converting my old screen to AT or building a new screen that is AT with the Seymour AV material.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Went with option C for now, These are cheap enough I can shift it around later if I feel like. One thing to note the center channel is said to sound better in a vertical orientation like used for an L/R or LCR. This came from the designers mouth.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I know nobody showed much interest in this thread, and I can understand the skepticism because of the crazy price tag. I just wanted to say that I got these in today and boy are they nice for what they cost. I think SQ wise you could easily put them up against some speakers costing 1k a pair or so. They are very full and nicely detailed sounding. The build quality is very good considering the price point. Bass extension isn't bad for the towers. Nothing like my previous speakers but honestly it's not nearly as bass impaired as I thought they would be! If anyone is looking for a budget setup, or even a setup in the 1k-1500 range I think you should really give these a shot just to see what they are all about. I spent 280 on all 7 speakers and I'm easily getting way more then that price.

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

You really can't complain for the price - $280 for 7 speakers plus maybe $300-400 for a decent receiver and you're all set. Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting, probably 10x nicer than most home theaters that have an HT-in-a-box setup.
        - Danny

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Oh no comparison to any HTIAB I've heard. Honestly these perform way outside of their price range.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I just got my Newegg email and saw the bookshelf speakers on sale. Sorry I seem to have missed the rest. Definitely worth looking into at retail , though.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

They go on sale at Newegg all the time. I was looking at them previously about 2 weeks ago and then the sale ended, that Friday they were on sale again. Most best buys have the towers and center setup although not a very good setup but you can at least hear something, they obviously sound way better in the home lol.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

And I bought the 802Diamonds.... *pound head against the wall* LOL

I have seen those for a while on there and was curious what they sounded like. I've been so-so with Pioneer speakers and about the same with their equipment (even the Elite).

Good to hear they are really exceeding their expectations at the price point and getting them on sale makes it even a better deal!

Good to hear!!!
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Just a heads up, the bigger bookshelf speakers are on sale on NewEgg for 84.99 today.

The discount code is EMCJNNE72

Comment

• technodanvan
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Hdale85
                    *sigh*

If I was smart I'd sell all the parts for the dozen or so speakers I'm building and just buy these Pioneers. I'd have extra cash, less debt, and probably be just about as happy with the result.

But the journey is more important than the destination, right? ....Right?

Edit:

Looks like they're all on sale again.

Shop Newegg for fast and FREE shipping on Pioneer Home Audio Speakers with the best prices and award-winning customer service.
                    - Danny

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah the bigger bookshelfs haven't been on sale for a while. Also note I'm not abandoning DIY Eventually I'll have a theater room and I'll be building some stuff for that and then after that I'll be building a killer 2 channel system (amp, dac, speakers building it all). These Pioneers will likely move to the living room setup. But for now I can't complain they sound great and were dirt cheap.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"