Bypass on 1068 suited to Bookshelf speakers ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Bypass on 1068 suited to Bookshelf speakers ?

When using the rsp 1068 processor in bypass mode (on remote not thru multi bypass on back panel) I believe the speakers are sent a full range signal.

Is this mode ok to use with bookshelf speakers?

If I was to use bypass mode with a bookshelf speaker rated at say 55 hz, would this potentially cause damage? or at least distortion?

Are bookshelves only meant to be used with the small setting?

Is bypass mode meant for full range speakers?

At what hz rating can a speaker be run full range?

This has me puzzled?

Anyone?
  • Pez
    • May 2004

The bypass mode simply sends the full range signal to the speakers without any digital processing. IMO this is the best way to listen to music (excluding SACD and DVD-A). You can certianly use this setting with bookshelf speakers but 2 things you should keep in mind:

(1) you will not get a lot of low end since we are talking about bookshelf speakers.
    (2) if you play the system at very loud levels you could hear some distortion.

That being said if the bookshelf speakers provide enough bass for your tastes than (1) doesnt really come into play. As for (2), unless you listen to ear splitting levels this should not be of much concern. The quality of the speakers and the amp will also come into play. IMO the only time I wouldnt use bypass if we are talking about satellite speakers.

I prefer music to be pure 2 channel with no sub. Some of it has to do with the fact that when I had bookshelf speakers I was happy with the bass they produced and I could never integrate the sub so it sounded natural. Now if you are a bass junkie then you would probably want a sub no matter what kind of speakers you use.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• bleeding ears
      • Nov 2004

Thanks Pez, good info.

After some more thought I guess there is not a lot of very low bass on cds in most music so that eliminates a lot of the problem as far as bookshelves being able to go low enough.

With movies a sub would definitely be used.

Can anyone else add anything ?

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Well, bypass mode means the 1068 does not process the signal. It just plays the full range. Your speakers have a natural roll-off at the high and low ends, and shouldn't be harmed by full-range signals. Your speakers will play to whatever level they are capable of.

In stereo (or any DSP mode), the 1068:

1) converts the signal from analog to digital
        2) processes the signal (by crossing over part of it to a sub, or making a multi-channel signal, etc.)
        3) converts it BACK to analog and out to the amplifier.

The benefit if bypass mode is that you "bypass" converting the signal. Otherwise, you go from analog -> digital -> analog -> speakers. So, with bypass, you get CD -> analog -> speakers.

If the digital to analog converter (DAC) on your CD player is BETTER than the one in the 1068 (such as the one in the RCD-1072), you'll get a better sound with bypass mode.

With movies, you run a digital cable from the DVD to the pre/pro because there would be SIX channels to convert otherwise. IMO, decoding sound effects and voices is far easier than music. In that case, yeah. Use a sub. After all, the sound track calls for 6 speakers. If you're missing one, you're missing part of the sound.

For stereo, I agree completely. Just go with 2 speakers and no sub. Not a fact, just my opinion.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Grit, I will definitely be using only 2 speakers for cd playing, but have concerns about how much bass a bookshelf (rated at 55hz) can handle, especially in bypass mode, which has no bass redirect. (full range)

I know that with a 2 channel only system the speakers get full range analogue (2 channel systems have no speaker size menu) but wondered if bookshelves are really capable of handling the low bass for extended periods?

Anyone?

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

If you don't mind the slightly lesser bass capabilities, there should be no problem
            Jason

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Ears,

It shoudn't hurt/harm the speakers at all. They have a natural roll-off, so the signals below 55 Hz will fade down to nothing. Those signals will not harm the speakers at all.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

Excellent thanks guys.

I am considering going to bookshelf speakers due to the space restrictions that I will have when I get a big screen tv or projector.

I am a little concerned about the loss of bass in 2 channel mode, but then again they generally say that bookshelf speakers image better and are more accurate in the same price range as a floorstanders.

Anyone using Energy Connoisseur C3 bokshelf's for fronts?

Although they may not be in the same leauge as say B&W 805's, they do get very good editorial reviews and owners on audio review seem pretty happy.

How do/will they go in a med to large room?

Anyone?

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

How are bookshelves on stands going to save you any space over floor standers....?
                  Jason

Comment

• JDH
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                    How are bookshelves on stands going to save you any space over floor standers....?
                    I assume you must be thinking about mounting the bookshelve speakers on brackets on a wall or on some form of low level AV cabinet? I guess you could also set up your subwoofer so that it is supplied by the same signal as the bookshelve speakers in bypass mode and manually adjust the level of base to suite your taste (bit messy though).
                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

Aud, I found with the larger floorstanders to get the best from them I needed to place the speaker out a long way from the wall and well away from any furniture.

With bookshelf speakers I may be able to get them in a bit closer to the wall (hopefully) and using stands place them so there is more air around the speaker. A stand with a small footprint would also help.

My other option is as JDH said, to place them alongside the tv on the entertainment unit which is not very high. Once again small stands may help.

Seems like a bit of a downgrade in some respects, but I did find it a bit difficult controlling the very deep base of the C9s when the 1068 was in bypass mode, or when the speakers were set to large.

It just seems that if I have to run large speakers in the small setting then perhaps smaller speakers are going to be fine. And if they are not, at the price I paid I will get my money back on the used market.

I am actually picking up the set of C3's today. They were the last ones in the warehouse, possibly in all of Australia. LOL Talk about lucky.

Oh and the C9's are already gone! Got my money back for them too! LOL

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Really any speaker, unless specifically designed to be on/in a wall or a cabinet, will require adequate space from walls to perform it's best. The lower bass output of bookshelves will likely be a little easier to manage as you mentioned but realistically book shelves on stands are no easier to place or significantly smaller in footprint than equivilant sized floor standers.

Regardless, good luck with the C3's they're pretty nice bookshelves and good deal on not losing any money on the C9's :T
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"