X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prost1986
    • Dec 2006

Bookshelf Speakers ~$600

I have been looking for a set of speaker for 2ch music for my bedroom. The would be powered by a Rotel 1062 intergraded amp and a Yamaha DVD1000 for CD/SACD along with iPod and XM radio for more causal background music (to be honest XM radio sound so bad that it almost only useful for talk stations or PC speakers). Does anyone have any suggestions at the $600 to $700 range for bookshelf speakers? I know I have to listen for myself but in this price range there really is not anywhere to addition in my area. The High-end dealer does not carry anything. The cheapest they carry would be the Linn Katans about $1k which would be my first choice but more than I want to spend. The other store in my area were listening in store is possible only has there 800 series B&W’s out for evaluation. Should I just take advantage of the Best Buy’s 30 day return and try them out at home? If so what models? How do the mail order companies such as Axiom stand up? There is more risk here because I would have to pay freight. Acoustic sounds carries the Epos ELS-3 that seems to be all the rage with the hig-hend press. How would the stack up to say the Axiom M3 V2?

I have a pair of B&W DM600 S3’s that I use as surrounds in my main systems and I am not thrilled with them when I tried them out as main speakers in two ch mode. Would the Epos and the Axioms be on the same performance leave as the B&W’s?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Give B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, Polk, PSB, Totem, Vienna Acoustics etc a try
    Jason

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Boston Acoustics, Dynaudio and Monitor Audio should also be on your list.

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

From experience, Boston Acoustics are nice for the price.
        Also, audiogon?!?!?
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

I really like Monitor Audio and if you want a screaming deal, try these: 1500 or their bigger brothers. Never mind the naysayers, they are great for the money, you should be able to hear them if there is a dealer near you.

Comment

• Prost1986
            • Dec 2006

Thanks,

The problem is that I would like to audition them in a reasonable environment or have a risk fee in home trial before I buy them/get a refund if returned. The only above listed that I have local dealers is B&W and Polk. I did pick up a pair of Polk TSi 6’s on the way home from Tweeter (30 day return). Out of the box they are in a different league than the B&W DM600 S3’s. I never thought about Vienna Acoustics, I think my local BB carries them.

Gee…. 8O my spelling/grammar is bad.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Prost1986
              I never thought about Vienna Acoustics, I think my local BB carries them.
              Best Buy? That would pleasantly surprise me.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                Also, audiogon?!?!?
                I think so (I have VR-M60s front L/R, VR-M50s rear L/R and VRC centre with a PV900 sub and my speaker set will be the last thing I upgrade). :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Even though you aren't thrilled with the 600s as your mains, try out the B&W 602 S3s, it's a whole different world over the 600s and would even come in a little under your target.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    Also, audiogon?!?!?
                    Are you planning on mounting the bookshelves on the wall. If not, you can also consider floorstanders; here the Boston Acoustic VR1 is incredible for the price. Also, the 1062 and the VR1 match extremely well together....
                    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

Thanks,

The problem is that I would like to audition them in a reasonable environment or have a risk fee in home trial before I buy them/get a refund if returned. The only above listed that I have local dealers is B&W and Polk. I did pick up a pair of Polk TSi 6’s on the way home from Tweeter (30 day return). Out of the box they are in a different league than the B&W DM600 S3’s. I never thought about Vienna Acoustics, I think my local BB carries them.

Gee…. 8O my spelling/grammar is bad.
                      Prost1986,

If you go to a BB with a Magnolia inside, you may also find the 1500's from the above link as they do carry this line.

Comment

• Vinny
                        • Mar 2006

A pair of klipsch RB-75 maybe?
                        Pioneer KRP-500M
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Parasound 5125
                        Oppo BDP-83
                        Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Prost1986
                          • Dec 2006

Gianni-the BB close to where I work does have a Magnolia theater inside. I think they carry Vienna Acoustics as their premier line I’m going there at lunch to se if they offer anything in my price range. If anything I can take them home to compare them to the polks and keep the pair I like and return the others.

Boombox- they will be stand mounted. Floor standers will not do…please contact the beautiful, understanding and thoughtful woman that I share the room with and explain to her that stand mounted bookshelf and floor standers take up the same amount of space. (that’s why the Maggies got crossed off the list). I used to have a pair of VR-55’s for the main theater. Replaced by B&W 703’s. Most shops around here have dropped Boston’s home speakers…

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

that’s why the Maggies got crossed off the list
                            OMG!!!!!!

Can't you disguise the Maggies and tell her they are air purifiers or something?
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Boombox
                              • Oct 2005

Most shops around here have dropped Boston’s home speakers…
                              Do you know why....???

W.r.t. the WAF.....thanks, but no thanks......I've got my own explaining to do....standmounts it will be...
                              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Prost1986
                                • Dec 2006

Can't you disguise the Maggies and tell her they are air purifiers or something?
                                Air Purifiers….Maybe…the argument could be made that they do not take up much floor space.

Do you know why....???
                                Myer Emco (Local Washington DC chain similar to Tweeter) and Tweeter have both droped them here. According to Boston’s web sit Circuit City is a dealer here. Maybe they are just trying to take a bite out of the Bose market with the big box stores.

Vienna Acoustics at BB, Krell and Cambridge Audio at Tweeter, Myer Emco sells Macintosh what is the world coming to. What’s next a Krell clock radio at Target?

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"