Rear Surrounds-Wall mounted Bookshelf Speakers-Sound Quality?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Rear Surrounds-Wall mounted Bookshelf Speakers-Sound Quality?

Does anyone have wall mounted small bookshelf speakers as rear surrounds and how do they sound? I was thinking of any examples but especially the B&W DM600s. Was considering this as a solution for limited room space and can't use in-wall speakers.
    Thanks. Russ
    Russ
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Russ,

I have bi-polar speakers (Def Techs) as rears and that works well for me, but in theory bookshelfs should work. This is of course dependent, upon your power sources, speaker specifications, placement, room acoustics, etc. The best thing is try it after calibration and hear how it sounds to you, before permanently mounting them.

Here is a URL that might be helpful:

Speaker Tips

The one conclusion I have reached is not to use cheap speakers, garbage in=garbage out. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

Azeke- thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I was really worried about getting a muddy or boomy bass by using wall mounts, especially with a small rear ported bookshelf speaker. I think you're right about cheap speakers and I will probably look for something better. Why try to save money now on rears and destroy the $7000 you've already spent on the rest of your system -Russ
      Russ

Comment

• jrd
        • Dec 2003

No big complaints

I've got B & W 601 S3 wall mounted for surrounds. Tried to just cover the basics--getting the angles and mounting height right. The room, unfortunately does not have any acoustical treatments, but I'm happy with the solution for now.

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I used to have a pair of 600 S3 mounted on wall-brackets before. No real problems if you want them for surround sound.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Russ,
            B&W has two options available in the 600 series for a wall mount surround, the DS6-S3 and the CDS6-S3, Both speakers show that they play down to a frequency of 85hz which would tend to be less "boomy" mounted on the wall as opposed to lets say a 601 mounted on a wall whose rated low freq response is 60hz. Just another option for you to look at.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Russ L
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
              Russ,
              B&W has two options available in the 600 series for a wall mount surround, the DS6-S3 and the CDS6-S3, Both speakers show that they play down to a frequency of 85hz which would tend to be less "boomy" mounted on the wall as opposed to lets say a 601 mounted on a wall whose rated low freq response is 60hz. Just another option for you to look at.
              Thanks for the input and different options. B&W says the port plugs are an option for decreasing boominess but they seem to mute the bass and some midrange. The overall sound is less than pleasant. Working with a small room can cause problems... -Russ
              Russ

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"