Any experiance with HDMI switching/converting recievers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Any experiance with HDMI switching/converting recievers?

Has anyone used or have any experience with some HDMI switching/converting recievers on the market today?
    Such as the Denons, Pioneer Elite 74TXVi, or Yamahas?

Just curious if anyone has had any problems with them? Sending a few component and svid IN and through the single HDMI out?

Im wanting to send my DVDa/SACD yamaha DVC-6770 player, ps2, and xbox (component) into the reciever and out through a single HDMI -> DVI cable (about a 25ft run) through the wall to my LCD tv. As the sound will be taken care of through the processor of the reciever and my amp, no sound the TV that has a DVI (no hdmi input).

Anyone see any issues with this? Would the HDMI->DVI conversion be an issue?

Not so up to date on this, so thanks! :T
    B&W
  • brac
    • Aug 2005

as I understand it, when converting from HDMI to DVI the only issue is the loss of audio, but since you don't need it, that's not an issue. 25 feet is kinda long but I really dont think it would be long enough to cause any problems.

As far as receivers I do alot of looking around and then decided to go with a preamp that had no HDMI, since there is so much talk about it changing. I plan to just by a dedicated video switching unit that will de-interlace and upconvert once there is a real standard.

Just my .02--------
    Brac

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by brac
      As far as receivers I do alot of looking around and then decided to go with a preamp that had no HDMI, since there is so much talk about it changing. I plan to just by a dedicated video switching unit that will de-interlace and upconvert once there is a real standard.

Just my .02--------
      Brac
      hdmi is the standard, what they dont include is the audio formats nor enough hdmi inputs

Comment

• locomk
        • Dec 2005

I heard that by converting from analog video connections to digital requires extra processing from the receiver and although it may not increase or decrease the picture quality, it causes a delay between audio and video. most of these new receivers that offer video upconversion also have a lipsync feature, so you can set a slight delay for the audio or video so the sound will sync up with the picture. I actually encountered this problem a few times when i was working at a sales job, but this was last year when the first round of hdmi upconverting receivers came out and i'm not sure if the newer models still face these issues.

Comment

• brac
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by peterS
          hdmi is the standard, what they dont include is the audio formats nor enough hdmi inputs

OK then clue me in I keep hearing about hdmi 1.3... Is this something different as far as hardware or just software?

Hoping to learn something
          Brac

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Unfortunately Brac, this is a hardware change and it is maybe 1.5 years down the road. Remember the only thing constant is change.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Thanks for the info everyone, im aware of HDMI 1.3 (thanks to the folks here at the guide)
              But this reciever would be temporary, and im not worried about the investment.

My Sunfire TGII is back for repair, and im ready to use something else untill all the "new technology" is out and running properly (SED and HDMI1.3)

I was just questioning/worried about using different types of inputs, then switching/converting to a single HDMI cable that goes to my TV via DVI. (again, dont care about the loss of audio)

Guess the only way to find out is give her a shot.

Thanks
              B&W

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
                Unfortunately Brac, this is a hardware change and it is maybe 1.5 years down the road. Remember the only thing constant is change.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                its a software

Comment

• peterS
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

denon 3806 and yamaha 2600 will both do switching and upconvert
                  you may want to see what new denons are on the horizon because like i said id like to see more than two hdmi inputs on these

as far as incompatibilities go the only question in my mind is HDCP encryption
                  it was never clear to me if your screen can understand it (as i have looked into it previously)
                  this may be an issue
                  other than that hdmi-dvi cord makes no difference to your equipment

EDIT: 3806 doesnt upscale... only switches
                  Last edited by peterS; 05 April 2006, 11:05 Wednesday.

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

fyi the company that makes the pannels for that insignia went belly up... hence we dont carrythem anymore and they arnt honoring warrenties (at least not for a customer i delt with today)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Good thing I have ins with the co then
                      Good thing i have the 4 year PSP.
                      Ohh, cant fix it, cool, i get to upgrade

Was thinking of picking up the yamaha 5990 today, I can get that for rather cheap, if it works, thats all i care about, just need something to get me through this.
                      The Sunfire TGII is still at Sunfire, as soon as it comes back its goin up FS, still have a year left on the warr, so thats good.
                      B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Well went out and picked up a Yamaha HTR 5990 today.
                        Have the DVD player goin through the HDMI to a DVI adapter at the TV, and it works fine, audio is fine.
                        Although since the 5990 has 3 Component ins, and one out, i may just run the DVD, PS2, and Xbox through compoent so theres no conversion.

I also am using the amp in the reciever to power my Bluroom Center chanel (and soon to power the Blueroom surrounds) added my blue room Bass station today...

And.. WOW!!!

Whole new experiance! Watched matrix II with the volume UP!!!
                        Man, i was getting goose bumps!!!

Then i listend to Pink floyed SACD, and Crystal Method and Metallica in DVD A!!!!!!
                        WoW!!! Ive had these on the shelf for a year and havent been able to use them, but this yamaha DVDA/SACD player works great!

Still have alot of planning and notes taken, Have a list of audio quest cables Im going to order tomorrow, along with my Salamander rack and monster power center... its gonna be sweeeeeeet.

And im gonna be broke
                        B&W

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Race Car Driver,

I'm certainly happy that you are enjoying your new purchase. Keep up posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

FWIW, Parasound has released a new HDMI switcher with 5 inputs and 1 output, controllable through infrared remote. You can add it to any receiver or processor. Called the "ZHD"

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Ohh, thats quality! Better then other HDMI switchers ive seen.
                              Any idea on the price to fullfill others curiosity?
                              B&W

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

The MSRP is $600.00.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Snap
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2005

I have the RXV-1600 in my house, that converts to 480P. I have no problems with the system. There is a small anoying thing that happens everytime I turn it on. While it is waiting for everything to power up, (including the TV) you get HDMI error until the DLP is up on speed, and the other stuff is also up to speed. Once that happens you are fine. I use the HDMI to play eveything. Including the old school P.O.C VCR to play my little girls Dora movies on.

I have not heard any of the audio delay problems that people mentioned above???

I like having everything run through my 1600. Makes for a cleaner install, and ease of operation. (plus less programing on the MX-850, not that it is hard to program the remote.)
                                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"