• Show
Clear All
  • kmak
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2002

A Subwoofer Possessed!!!

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year, when do we stop saying that? :scratchhead:

I have had a bizarre problem, for quite awhile, with my Paradigm Reference Servo 15A (1999). I have a chesterfield next to it and the sub is rear right corner loaded (about 3 feet out).

Here's the weird part, whenever my cat kneeds on the end (nearest the sub) cushion, or I drape a comforter over the end backrest cushion, the mofo driver moves. I checked the line-in and reconnected, but it still does it. There is no electrical association (ie bass shaker) whatsoever. The current flooring is laminate, and prior to that carpet. In fact, when it was carpeted, the room was set-up differently. I had the sub in the front right corner, with the couch swung around 90 degrees. It did the same thing there, although I kind of ignored it or thought it was something else causing the crackling thump. The sub also made this kind of noise when my wife was using her sewing machine in an adjacent room. I made her switch outlets, and that solved the problem there.

Have you ever heard of anything so weird? It must be a poltergeist :twisted:
    Please share similar (?) experiences, and the solution.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Maybe the sub's amplifier is sensitive to static electricity? Cat kneading or draping fabric can cause static discharges. Do you have a humidifier in your house? Humidity helps reduce static.

Comment

• kmak
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2002

Thanks Kevin, I don't think it's dry, but what else could possibly explain this phenomena..............

It's just that there is no physical contact between the couch and sub. I don't see a Van De Graaff generator effect going on..................

Attached Files

Comment

• cbark
        • Jan 2010

Kevin may be on to something, moving a blanket on my couch with low lights, looks like the fourth of july. You would be suprised at the voltage levels required to do that. Also, carpet and laminate will both be the best floors for producing or adding to the static issue if that is the issue.

It is hard to discover a problem of this type without some experimenting or knowing more about the house/room.

It could be a wiring issue also. Your line cable runs where? Through walls, on your laminate flooring, under couch, etc.? Wiring or noise issue, if you had a problem before with the wifes sewing machine, but fix the issue then, by switching to a different circuit....? You may want to look at your house wiring.

Does the sub have damage cables or wiring? Do you have a local surge supressor on the sub? Are the other noise producing items on the same AC circuit? Is the line cable 100ft long? Is the sub grounded or isolated? etc, etc, etc.

Easiest solution now, would be get rid of the cat and blanket. :W

Comment

• kmak
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2002

Don't tell Kevin.............. I'm getting rid of the cat :W

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Personally I'd be getting rid of the sub, wife, kids, and the mother-in-law before I'd get rid of the cat! :B But that's just me. I have 4 of the little critters and they don't make my speakers or sub crackle. Yours may be especially sensitive, and even if you got rid of the cat and the blanket, other things might still cause the problem (shuffling your feet across the carpet and then touching the sub or something near it).

My memory could be failing me, but are you the same one who had the issue of the ceiling fan causing a pop too? Maybe something's up with your house's wiring. EDIT: Oops.. never mind, that was Jeremy. My memory is failing me. :duh:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"