X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RubberDucky
    • Sep 2009

Small Dorm Speakers

Hey everyone, I recently moved into a very small dorm room after joining the Air Force. I was considering purchasing the TriTrix DIY speaker package before joining, but now it just seems I wont have room for floorstanding speakers :cry: . I fear I may not even have room for my reciever.

I have started considering purchasing a small computer speaker system like the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system. I know Klipsch used to make a 4.1 system and I love the sound of their 2.1. I have room for the subwoofer and small satellites, but thats about all.

Any suggestions or ideas? Has anyone heard the Z-5500 system?

Thanks,
    RubberDucky
  • technodanvan
    • Nov 2009

I haven't spent a considerable amount of time with them, but I can tell you the Logitech subwoofer is over-the-top boomy, in my opinion. Since you're in the AF dorms you might want to see how thin the walls are before having any subwoofer at all. It's not a very good impression to have the dorm manager stop by in the first few week on noise infractions.

Some are solid concrete though, so it could help you out a bit too.

Were I in your situation, I think I'd look at two different things:

1. "Home theater in a box" solutions. There are some pretty decent sounding ones out there and they would be far more compact than a receiver. I would only consider this if you're intent on having others in your room on a consistent basis. And by 'others', I don't mean the girlfriend - they don't generally care about your audio system, especially when you won't be playing it a 'club-like' levels. So unless you have some audio enthusiast friends, I'd just get some cheap $20-$50 computer speakers to "cover up the noise" and...

2. A good set of headphones for yourself.

I don't know how long you've been there, but there may be a surround sound system already located in the common room. Something you may want to look into.

Also - Robins almost certainly has a woodshop. If you were thinking about DIY before, now is the time to try it out!
    - Danny

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Heheeee... Ducky, i'm in the AF as well. (currently doing a year in Iraq) I know just what you mean. My previous (full sized) home theater had all Klipsch speakers, and I was very pleased with it. The only reason I sold them was that my new theater came with all new speakers. I've had good experience with smaller Klipsch speakers as well, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend trying an all-Klipsch small setup for you. In general, I'd stay away from a HTiB solution. Most of their performances are lacking.

I would ABSOLUTELY recommend looking into Dan's recommendation of headphones. A good set of headphones can give performance that is superior to many, many speakers, and avoid any noise troubles with neighbors lik Dan talks about.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• RubberDucky
        • Sep 2009

Im not too worried about my neighbors, I don't listen at incredibly loud levels. I know the walls are pretty thick as well. I listen to mostly acoustic rock anyways, its not the most bass-heavy music.

I really want a subwoofer, without one there is simply not enough bass in these smaller speakers.

There is a woodshop here on base and I am beginning to think I might want to go that route. HTiBs aren't going to cut it. Any recommendations on a good, very small, starter project? My biggest concern is the electronics, I have never done a crossover and I don't know how to read the electronic schematics often provided on these forums.

As for headphones, I think that is also a great idea for listening at night. I have looked into those options as well, on Head-Fi.org.

Comment

• ruseriousclark
          • Feb 2007

2 or 4 of these with an 8" sub would work nice, minimal crossover and its easy to understand: http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

You can build a set cheap since you mentioned DIY or...

...if you want to go no sub 2 channel save cost on the sub. Low end on these is amazing.
          <-- Beware of Fluffy...He is the destroyer of Worlds!

Comment

• RubberDucky
            • Sep 2009

Thanks for the links, I really like that second one! There is a nice 5.1 system on there that I might look into. It could be pretty expensive though. Maybe build it over time.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"